Water leaks in C-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Bolz

I am taking in water somewhere especially when sailing in some stiff wind. It is not coming in over the sides. I put a new 1' hose over the keel cable, and it doesn't seem to be coming in by the keel pin. There is simply too much water in the battery compartment and under the forward dinette storage hatch to be any minor seeping. I can get about 2 gallons out after a typical afternoon sailing. Is there something obvious I am overlooking?

R

Rico

scupper drain hoses

You mentioned some typical suspect places to find leaks in the C-22. Another area to check which I don't see any mention of in your post are the scupper drain hoses. Also consider this. When my keel locking strap assembly started to fail it only leaked when undeway at a good pace, and left me stumped for a while because I initially checked for leaks while the boat was moored and not in motion.

A

Aldo Camacci

Grease the Center Board Locking Bolt

Tom: Two gallons is a lot of water, but I think I know where the water is coming from, and what to do about it. First clean aound the keel bolt under the front dinette seat. Then, lightly grease the bolt with a grease stick. (This is a thick waxy grease that comes in stick form that can be purchased from an auto parts store.) Then screw the bolt back into the threaded hole in the dinette storage area and seal around it with silicone sealer. Use plenty of silicone sealer, even build a mound around the bolt. When the silicone sealer has cured you can unscrew the bolt and grease it again. This will put even more grease under the silicone to stop water that is coming in there. Then grease it every spring. I had the same problem many years ago that you are currently having and this cured it. Aldo

K

kenn

water leaks

on my 22 if you have the sink drain open, water will come in on a starboard heel past 35 deg.

T

the Pirate of Sha-lin

checks for cracks

Tom: You didn't mention if yours is a swing keel or if your C-22 is old. I have the same problem in the same place as you, in my 22-year old C-22. I put a plastic box down there to keep water out of my galley supplies. After I pumped at least 2 gallons of water out of my hold, I sponged my bilge and watched for a bit. It looks as though the fiberglass is cracking slightly around the swing keel trunk at the bottom of the trunk. Even at my mooring, I can watch water seeping in. Moored, I don't take in a lot of water, but on a starboard tack, in a stiff wind, I get the kind of water you are talking about. Sponge your bilge under your forward dinette seat, then watch a few minutes to see if it starts to get wet. I'm going to look into some fiberglass work over the winter. Thanks to all who replied. I've printed some, and will also look into those possibilities. the Pirate of Sha-lin

Status
Not open for further replies.