Water leak on top of engine compartment

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
I have water showing up on top of my engine cover panels under the cushions. I first though it was the air vent for the pss shaft seal that terminates inside and at the very top of the sink cabinet. There doesn't seem to be any moisture inside the cabinet, it is only on the out side. The wetness typically shows up after a rain storm. I have examined the companion way hatch after a rain and have found no moisture around it, so I'm not sure how the covers get wet. If anyone has seen this I would really be greatfull to know if you were able to track this leak down.

Attachments

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
how about your exhaust riser loop? other than sink, that's the only other water source i can think of in that area.

Jan 21, 2018
Catalina 30 1620 Orange Beach, AL
Did anything break in the cabinet drawers that might of leaked out. It appears from the photo that the bottom corner of your cabinet is also wet.

Jeff
1980 Cat 30 #1620

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
I have eliminated all chances of leak from above by taping up plastic directly over the wet area and about three feet beyond and after a fairly heavy rain there was not a drop of water in the plastic. There is nothing in the cabinet that could have spilled. That was also my first thought. As I mentioned in my original question I have a vent tube from the drip less pss shaft seal that terminates in the cabinet. I have found that this vent is supposed to be a minimum of 24” above the water line. Mine is only 16”. I am going to reroute that line to an other location and see if that solves the problem. I think that will fix the problem because I first started noticing that this wet mark showed up after reversing the boat while docking. It makes sense because when reversing the boat water is more prone to being push up the shaft log which may cause the level in the vent tube to increase enough to push water out of the top and into the cabinet and onto the area shown in the pictures. The boat is currently on the hard so I won’t know if that works till April when she goes back into the water.