Water heater replacement.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I have the original water heater (20 years old) and it has a couple of issues. None fatal but it's a pain. That coupled with the desire to have a anti scalding mix valve I'm thinking of replacing it. I like the Isotherm which comes with the mixing valve. The only issue is it does not appear to come with rear fittings for the engine loop. I'm thinking I could use some fittings and a short length of pipe on each side to meet the hoses at the back of the heater. Anyone do this or replace with this water heater?
upload_2017-7-21_18-37-53.png

Thanks

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i just replaced the isotemp basic that you have. the new ones come with engine heater hose loops and the 'anti scald ' valve. it's an easy install if you have the space to get the old one out. our isotemp basic failed because the rubber gasket wore out, the thermostat failed and the metal tank plate deformed from the overheat (after 10 years. ) the new one works faultlessly. remember to get an extra gasket and check the integrity of the gasket every couple of years....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm thinking I could use some fittings and a short length of pipe on each side to meet the hoses at the back of the heater.
Of course you can. Even when replacing my old heater with the same connection locations, I added "extender hoses" to the back connections to make it easier to connect to the hoses from the engine. Put the extender hoses on before you slide the heater in and make it easy on yourself.