Water heater leak

Jul 18, 2016
Catalina 445 Sheboygan, WI
I have a Seaward F-1100 water heater. It is leaking water from somewhere inside the box. None of the connections are leaking. I am prepared to remove it and inspect it but does anyone have any thoughts on what the potential problem could be? . Seaward has no workable phone number or email.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You might want to identify the age of the WH. They have a plate somewhere that willl give you a serial number and often a date.
Leaks occur usual due to corrosion. This can happen inside the tank because someone cleaned the water system with chlorine and did not empty and flush the system completely. Over time this evolves into leaking water.
If you have a 20 year old WH. My guess is it is time to retire the unit. New they are $330-350.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with John, inside tank shell holed thru .. time for a new one.. There is an anode available to help mitigate the corrosion, but most folks don't use them.. They are an additional cost option.. Probably worth while on the new one..
Welcome to the group !

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
In my experience, just using tap water for 8 years will corrode it to leaking. I've replaced mine twice and I don't use chlorine or bleach.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
IMG_1409.jpg
I seem to replace them about every 7-11 years. In my experience, they leak around the heat exchanger to broiler fittings. Two boats, 28 years, three water heaters. Here is a photo of one of them with the exterior stripped off. The one I have now has been in there for quite a while. Hope I haven't jinxed it! :confused:

Last edited: