Water getting into v-berth lower storage compartment h34

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Can't find where water is coming from that ends up in the bottom of the storage compartment in my 1983 Hunter 34. I am the original owner and this has stumped me for over thirty years. Help!

The water is fresh water that accumulates after approximately 3-4 weeks. The amount of water that accumulates is small about 12 oz. so it's not a lot, however it's enough to make these compartments useless to store anything in. Plus requires them to be dried out regularly or mold will develop. Also note sometimes I can go weeks without any water accumulation. This does not make any sense!

Areas I have checked:

Anchor well latch where it is drilled into deck Sealed no leaks
Replaced anchor well drain hose and fittings. No leaks
Toe rail No leaks
Thru hull No leaks
12 volt wire thu decking along anchor well hatch that powers the running lights
On the bow No leaks
Anchor well hatch hinges no leaks
No stains on the sides of v-berth head liner no leaks

I have sprayed water over the entire area for hours with now leaks.

I have only come to one possible conclusion over the past 30 plus years of dealing with this issue.

It has to be condensation.

I think that due to the fact that the compartments are below the water line and the water temp is much cooler then the surrounding air, the humidity in the air condenses on the hull and collects at the bottom of the compartments.

Anyone else have this issue? Or have solved this mystery?
Anyone have any thoughts where this water comes from?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Lifeline stantion bases leaking after a pull, tug, prang, bump or big bird?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have had that from the anchor locker thru hull .. It was cracked at the jamb nut.. Sounds like you've covered all the typical ones.. I have never heard of leakage under the stem fitting/forestay attachment/anchor roller fitting, but that is the only other possible that I don't see on the list. I chased the leak from the nav light wire for a while before getting it straight.. I can't offer much ..
Red Bank.. I spent a couple of weeks at the Molly Pitcher Inn many years ago attending classes.. Nice town.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have had that from the anchor locker thru hull .. It was cracked at the jamb nut.. Sounds like you've covered all the typical ones.. I have never heard of leakage under the stem fitting/forestay attachment/anchor roller fitting, but that is the only other possible that I don't see on the list. I chased the leak from the nav light wire for a while before getting it straight.. I can't offer much ..
Red Bank.. I spent a couple of weeks at the Molly Pitcher Inn many years ago attending classes.. Nice town.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Thanks, Kloudie1
checked the forestay and deck plate. This is the weirdest thing. Looks like the mystery will continue.
I still think it's a condensation issue because I have never found water stains or trails like most leaks leave.

All boats have one annoying issue that you just can't solve or fix.
I guess that's what give them there charm. A lot like some old friends of mine that I know.

Thanks again for your reply. Some day I well solve the mystery,
Just not today.:banghead:

Lived here for about twenty years an never been inside the Molly pitcher inn . That one of the biggest icons in this town. I guess I have to get out more.;)

Nov 6, 2006
I suspect that condensation may be the culprit, Robbie.. I have to run a dehumidifier all the time to keep mildew/mold under control, so I don't have that problem.. It is rare for our water temperature to get below about 55 F.. I do get some condensate in "the pit" on the walls and in the lazarette.. places where the dehumidifier does not readily get to.
The one remaining quirk that I see with the design is the rain leakage from the hatch slider..

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Kloudie1,

I have seen owners use a router to cut about a 1/4" grove approximately 1/8th deep into the with of the hatch. This allows the rain to be channel into the hatch slides to drain.
Maybe this can help

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am glad you brought this up. I have the same problem so I do not store anything under the V-birth lest it get mildewed. After reading this I am thinking of finding a way to ventilate this compartment. Maybe a couple of well placed openings and a small fan.

Nov 6, 2006
Thanks again, Robbie.. I saw the post the other day and thought it would be worth a try; seems like a fine idea ! .. I have a new companionway slider in the shop right now that I've not installed yet so it won't take long to rout the drain collector into the forward upper end..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the base of stanchions and bow pulpit. Keep tabs on what happens or does not happen during the weeks of no accumulation. Rain, temperatures, pressure water usage, washdowns, ambient humidity levels, shower usage etc. What is different between normal and these dry periods? Finding out may at least point you in the right direction.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Markwbird
thanks for your response to this issue, nice to no that I am not alone. This spring when the boat goes back in the water I am going to remove the compartment lids and place a small fan in the area.
I am going to run the fan continuously until the summer to see if it is condensation. " I truly think it condensate "
If by the summer no more water issues, then I am going to cut small slots into the top of both the compartments and install a computer type circulation fan.
I am cautiously optimistic that "condensation is the cause" keeping my fingers crossed.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Thanks for the input Benny,
I have been doing all of this over the past ten years.
Just resently I came up with condensation theory when I had a lot of condensation that formed on the head liner after a rain storm.
I really hope that I have solved this issue. I will not know until this summer after I set up a fan to circulate the air in the compartments.

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
mine does the same I have checked and rechecked everything My V-berth is covered up with only the bottom open so air flow is restricted I ended up putting a DamRid container under the V-Berth that has seemed to work the best

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It may be that this compartment is open to the bilge so the moisture from the bilge is condensing in this closed up, unventilated area. If this is the case, ventilation is the only way to dry it out. Just a theory, though.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Thanks for suggestions,
Went down to the boat while it on the hard to work on a couple of winter to do list items and no moisture in the compartments. Lots of rain and snow over the past few weeks, still no moisture.
I am almost 90% sure it is condensation due to poor ventilation. This Summer will be the test. If it comes back then I will have to ventilate.

Sep 13, 2010
hunter 34 port grimaurd. south france
Hi Capt Robbie,
I have a hunter 34 1983 and have the same problem searched every where and i think you are right it could very well be down to condensation , my boat is moored in the south of France i leave her in the water over winter put her away last November when i drained the V birth before i locked her up for the winter. I live in England and will not be back out to my boat till May will let you know what i find then let me know how you combat this problem.