Water below the engine tray - Where does it drain?

Dec 7, 2018
Hunter 326 Poole
Cleaning out the bilges over the weekend. Below the engine there is a tray that obviously doesn't drain into the bilge and looking through the hole for the water pipes there is some water sitting below that which also doesn't appear to be draining into the bilge.. Where is that water supposed to drain to?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Water that is below the engine may well have oil in it, and should not drain overboard. You should not let it accumulate so much it flows out of the pan.

Dec 7, 2018
Hunter 326 Poole
I am talking about the area BELOW the engine pan that would catch engine oil etc.. There appears to be water sitting down there that isn't draining away..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I am talking about the area BELOW the engine pan that would catch engine oil etc.. There appears to be water sitting down there that isn't draining away..
Oh,... so BELOW the engine catch-pan.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Wipe_Out: Is it fresh (I know that isn't equivalent to bubbling brook in the Rockies); or, is it salt (water)? That question assumes your boat is in salt water.

If you mop it up, does it return only after you've had the engine on?

Where is the water coming from? Stern hatches from the rain, or a dripping water pump, or???

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Oil absorbing rags, available everywhere, make mopping up simple. The rag will quickly draw up all of the oil leaving only water behind. Sponge out the remaining water and discard overboard.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you have a non oil liquid below your engine, it can be a BAD thing.

In most cases, it would be a leak from the engine cooling and exhaust system.

Find the source of your non OIL!

_______

Oil absorbing rags, available everywhere
We maintain clean white ones under our engine.
Spots of oil, carbon black from wearing belts or other non Oil leaks are detected quickly.

If you dump oily stuff in our waters, be prepared to pay a big fine.
Jim...

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
If it's in the engine tray it shouldn't drain anywhere, since it's also likely to contain oil. Mop it up and located the source. Once you know the source you'll have a better idea what to do about it. I keep a absorbent pad under the engine and quickly change it out if I see anything on it .

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
The water under your engine pan (not in the engine pan) does drain into the bilge. The water from the stuffing box flows under the pan and into the bilge. There always seems to be water trapped under there due to the lip on the drain going into the bilge. I flush this out occasionally just so it's not to stagnant.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
The water under your engine pan (not in the engine pan) does drain into the bilge. The water from the stuffing box flows under the pan and into the bilge. There always seems to be water trapped under there due to the lip on the drain going into the bilge. I flush this out occasionally just so it's not to stagnant.
Yup mop it up and find our where it’s coming from. There is purposely no drain in that area because you don’t want oil from the engine getting into the bilge or getting pumped over by bilge pump.

I had similar situation a couple of years ago and went searching for where the water was coming from. It started happening right after I’d had a PSS dripless seal installed. At first I suspected a leak in the cooling water pump or even momentarily I suspected condensation on the cooling line and pump (it was a terribly cold summer that year and lake water never did get very warm) coupled with hot engine due to extensive motoring. Subsequent detective work led to discovery that when I was putting engine in reverse water was shooting up the vent hose on the PSS. Marina thought they’d gotten it high enough when they installed it.

A few phone calls to PSS and I leaned that in a small percentage of boats when a hard reverse is applied the water can be pushed up the vent. Solution was to add an additional through hull high up on the side of the boat and reroute the vent up to it.
No more water under the engine.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
On my H356 this water under the engine pan that you can see through the hole comes from the stuffing box. I've taken the screwed floor boards up to make sure there is a drain hole into the bilge :)