Water-based bottom paint

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
This is a newish matter so I didn't look if it's been addressed somewhere else in the boards.

Currently the Aqua Guard bottom paint, made in Lakewood NJ by Barnegat Bay boaters, is being championed as an 'eco-friendly' sort of bottom paint. It releases no toxins into the water, doesn't poison the painter applying it, behaves like a reliable antifouling, and cleans up with soap and water. It's also cheap.

Pettit and Interlux also make water-based paints. I've been leaning towards ACT.

My question:
Has anyone got any REAL-WORLD experience using this paint, or any other inexpensive water-based antifouling paint, for multiple seasons in warm salt (ocean) water? If so: how does it hold up?

I intend to get at least 18 months or more out of Diana's bottom coating during a trip into The Bahamas before I address the matter of hauling out for repainting. I also want Shark White for the color.

Anyone's thoughtful opinion is welcomed. Thanks, all.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I have used Pettit Hydrocoat basic. The boat spent over a month in Barnegat before three seasons in upper mid Chesapeake. Each year it has come out in the fall looking fresh although a little lighter in color. No growth of any kind and clean up is easy. I buy it in early spring when wm has it on sale with a rebate.
My only issue has been that I have put it on too thick and too frequently. I plan to only repaint every other year at least except for touch up and maybe around the water line.
The Aqua Guard sounds like a good choice too.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
You will likely find that any non-toxic anti fouling paint is unsuitable for high fouling conditions.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
I'm not helping much as my experience is fresh water except for a one week plunge in the Gulf. I painted with Hydrocoat in May 2013. Trailer sailed a few times until Aug. 2015 when it went into a slip for the season. Came out in Nov. 2015 looking pretty good except where I drug the centerboard through the rocks. Typical algae slime that washed/brushed off.
I did love the water clean up of the paint tools and the lack of solvent smell. It's probably what I'll use on the H25 project.
And yes it has copper in it, like 43% or something like that.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I'm not helping much as my experience is fresh water except for a one week plunge in the Gulf. I painted with Hydrocoat in May 2013. Trailer sailed a few times until Aug. 2015 when it went into a slip for the season. Came out in Nov. 2015 looking pretty good except where I drug the centerboard through the rocks. Typical algae slime that washed/brushed off.
I did love the water clean up of the paint tools and the lack of solvent smell. It's probably what I'll use on the H25 project.
And yes it has copper in it, like 43% or something like that.
They have a copper free one as well...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't have any experience with it but since it was mentioned:

Hydrocoat Eco

Copper Free Water Based Multi-Season Ablative
  • Hydrocoat Eco is certified by Lloyds Register
  • Easy application and cleanup with soap & water
  • Water-based, copper-free, self-polishing ablative antifouling paint
  • Co-polymer ablative technology eliminates sanding and paint build-up
  • Dual-biocides provide outstanding multi-season protection in all conditions
  • Uses the power of organic ECONEA™ for better protection and a greener earth
http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=289

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Aqua guard is not non-toxic. it's a copper based paint and it's MSDS is very similar to Hydrocoat. In Maine, Hydrocoat works well and is easy to apply. no toxic fumes, but don't eat it.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I did not specify that I wanted non-toxic properties. In my experience effective bottom paints are always biocides ('bio' = 'life'; '-cide' = 'killer'). I am interested in Aqua Gard chiefly because of the cost. Hydrocoat and the new Interlux version are priced higher. But I'm not putting on any paint that's going to call for a mandatory haulout in less than 15-18 months due to the paint's failure to last that long. I will probably choose ACT or Micron (to get the shark white) and bite the bullet on cost unless I know of a viable option.

BTW - industry news: Interlux has informed us that anything with Iragol in it (most of their ACT line), especially in darker colors, will be UNAVAILABLE through most of 2016. Other paint makers will follow suit with not replenishing similar product while the EPA/DEP look at this ingredient. You are hereby warned!:banghead:

Feb 26, 2011
BTW - industry news: Interlux has informed us that anything with Iragol in it (most of their ACT line), especially in darker colors, will be UNAVAILABLE through most of 2016. Other paint makers will follow suit with not replenishing similar product while the EPA/DEP look at this ingredient. You are hereby warned!:banghead:
Close, but no cigar. The rights to manufacture the anti-slime ingredient in question, "Irgarol", were purchased by British chemical maker BASF. As of last year (and BTW, this is common knowledge), BASF have chosen not to renew the registration of this product for use in anti fouling paints with the USEPA and it is unknown if they ever will. The only anti fouling paint products that you can currently buy in this country that contain Irgarol are old, leftover stock.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Close, but no cigar. The rights to manufacture the anti-slime ingredient in question, "Irgarol", were purchased by British chemical maker BASF. As of last year (and BTW, this is common knowledge), BASF have chosen not to renew the registration of this product for use in anti fouling paints with the USEPA and it is unknown if they ever will. The only anti fouling paint products that you can currently buy in this country that contain Irgarol are old, leftover stock.
Thanks for the clarification. I was quoting what the wholesale distributor told me he got from the manufacturer. This guy is usually spot-on so I never second-guess him.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I used the Pettit Hydrocoat a few seasons, mostly in the Navesink which is warm and brackish, and had good results, as good as any copper based stuff I've used and clean up is MUCH nicer. That being said, I remember it as being "non toxic" in the sense of no V O C's. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that rescue helicopters found capsized boats were more visible when the bottoms were white vs, dark colors, but I try not to take that into account.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I find nothing to make me want the water-based paint for my needs, regardless of cost. Looks like I'm back to ACT or Micron. Thanks for the input, all.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Recently discovered Sea Hawk 'Smart Solution' bottom paint -- this is a very smooth hard-shell finish that self-polishes like an ablative, even like VC17. BUT! (big 'but') -- it does not use metallic biocides at all, making it both environmentally friendly and ideal for metal parts, such as exposed rudder shafts, propeller shafts and struts, and outboard drives. I don't know how they do it; but the tests are conclusive that the nasty stuff stays off. They're in Florida so they're no stranger to warm Gulf-Stream currents and whatever lives in them.

The colors stay bright and clear, not going cloudy and chalky like any other paint. Best of all they make it in white; so this is what Diana's bottom is getting ASAP.

Feb 26, 2011
Recently discovered Sea Hawk 'Smart Solution' bottom paint -- this is a very smooth hard-shell finish that self-polishes like an ablative, even like VC17. BUT! (big 'but') -- it does not use metallic biocides at all, making it both environmentally friendly and ideal for metal parts, such as exposed rudder shafts, propeller shafts and struts, and outboard drives. I don't know how they do it; but the tests are conclusive that the nasty stuff stays off. They're in Florida so they're no stranger to warm Gulf-Stream currents and whatever lives in them.

The colors stay bright and clear, not going cloudy and chalky like any other paint. Best of all they make it in white; so this is what Diana's bottom is getting ASAP.
Wow, have you drunk the kool-aide. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
For 2016 Practical Sailor rated it a recommended buy and the rating was "Good".
My Hydrocoat didn't fair as well in the tests. I may be looking for a better, compatible paint next time.