water based anti fouling

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
considering using water based antifouling instead of a micron type bottom paint. will it work as well as the micron type paint . What brands of paint work the best? It will be going over a stripped and epoxied clean bottom..
Thanks

Mike

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
We use Pettit Hydrocoat SR and have had good luck with it. It seems to hold up quite well. One thing that I should note is that our boat is on a lift.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
I've been using Aquaguard on both the boat and the dinghy(hull & sponsons) for the last 9 years and have had no issues with it at all. We've never had anything more than a little scum on the hull at takeout and the dinghy is always clean as well, while other boats around us with far more expensive bottom paint don't fare any better clean wise.
On a stripped hull use their primer and then apply the anti-fouling.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we've been using aquaguard on the dinghy(in the water all season) and hydrocoat on Escape and they both work really well. Escape's mooring is in an area with a lot of tidal flow and it keeps the bottom really clean, but we do touch up the leading edges of the hull, keel, and rudder every year. A breeze to apply, and cleanup is simple. The Maine clean harbor rules don't allow you to sand or scrape - the yard has to do it and contain all the waste - but hydrocoat doesn't need that; most yards will let you do your own paint with hydrocoat as long as you follow the rules.

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
I use Petitt Hydrocoat ECO. It is one of the higher priced ablatives that contains no copper. Three years ago I stripped the boat down to the gel coat, a job I never want to do again, and put three coats of Petitt barrier coat followed by two coats of red ECO then one coat of black. When the boat is hauled I instruct the yard to pressure wash till they start to see red. That leaves most of the red in place while removing most of the black. In the spring before launching I wash the bottom with clear water and immediately add two thin coats of ECO to the bottom. The boat is a 30 Foot Catalina and one gallon will do the job. The trick with this paint is to be sure to wet the bottom before painting. I know this sounds odd, but that is what the instructions say to do and it not only works great the surface is much smoother when done this way. So not only do I get a smoother fast bottom but all the issues with sanding and paint buildup are gone. Oh, and the paint also works very well against hard and soft build up. Good luck.