Water Ballast Gasket Improv

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
Bottom line: the Hunter store is not viable for Canadians. After exchange, duty and shipping, I am looking at $60 for a $9 gasket. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use as a gasket for the Ballast tank? I was thinking about the soft rubber mat material you line your tool box's with from Home Depot.

upload_2017-4-11_16-42-2.png

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Yep, and you'll pay UPS $30 + GST for brokerage for them to collect 60 cents in GST on the item. I try to get things shipped by USPS whenever possible to save some of that. My boat came missing the ram's head cleat for reefing at the mast. It was a $7 part from Florida but there was a minimum $20 order, plus all of the extra costs just mentioned.

But I'm curious what people think of the necessity of the gasket. I don't think I have any rubber left at all, but I figure maybe there's no harm in that. I'm in a fresh water lake if that makes a difference.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Whiskey

This has come up a few times..... I made my own (see below) and I have also seen several other good suggestions on this forum.

1) If you have an old wet suit, the neoprene makes a good gasket...

2) If you have an old mouse pad, that can also be fashioned into a good gasket..

3) Home made... make a dam around the ballast plate and fill it in with liquid goop, let the goop dry... (that is what I did... see pics).

IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
@Rick Macdonald

I could be wrong but I think the gasket is vital. To my way of thinking, if you are heeling on a long tack with a leaky ballast tank, then you will lose all of the water that is on the windward side of the boat, ....and things can go wrong quickly without ballast.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rgranger is correct about that gasket not in place on the circular flange plate, water in the ballast tank can and will come out of the hull paticuraly on the side that the plate is on. Sorry folks but I cannot remember which side as it has been so long ago on either port or stbd. side of the hull. At first the engineers though like wise that the gasket was not needed. I made a bet with one and watched water flow out while the boat sitting on the trailer after being pulled out at the Hunter test pond. Sorry Rick but that is why I was emphatic on a gasket. Neophrene is key. Try an automotive store but it has to be thick so be careful. Not sure if a large say tractor trailer tube would work. The thicker the better. Anyone else out there can help. Not sure if Home Depot or Lowes would have such say for roofing????

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
I used that spray on rubber seal stuff seen on Tv.Been good for 5 yrs.Just keep spraying till it wsa 1/4 in thick

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I remember someone building their own gasket from wet suit material. You could likely also find something that would work from an automotive supply or industrial supply firm local to you. Home hardware offers 6" square gasket material. Can't remember off the top of my head what diameter the plate is.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Rgranger is correct about that gasket not in place on the circular flange plate, water in the ballast tank can and will come out of the hull paticuraly on the side that the plate is on. Sorry folks but I cannot remember which side as it has been so long ago on either port or stbd. side of the hull. At first the engineers though like wise that the gasket was not needed. I made a bet with one and watched water flow out while the boat sitting on the trailer after being pulled out at the Hunter test pond. Sorry Rick but that is why I was emphatic on a gasket. Neophrene is key. Try an automotive store but it has to be thick so be careful. Not sure if a large say tractor trailer tube would work. The thicker the better. Anyone else out there can help. Not sure if Home Depot or Lowes would have such say for roofing????
Dave... I want to say that the plate is about center line.

Aug 4, 2016
Hunter 26 Kingston
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I will try NAPA and Part Source. If all else fails, I will find some neoprene. I am super intrigued about the plumbing Goop idea. Ingenuity is the key to sailing!

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I will try NAPA and Part Source. If all else fails, I will find some neoprene. I am super intrigued about the plumbing Goop idea. Ingenuity is the key to sailing!
I have also used goop to make gaskets for a pivot pin on an earlier swing keel boat that I used to own. See pics.

The goop actually dries to a rather hard rubber and adheres to the metal very strongly.

gasket.jpg
gasket3.jpg

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I'd go to Value Village, or a Salvation army store and buy an old wetsuit for a few bucks, seen them at Value Village.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Shall I walk out in my backyard and check to see what side of the hull the ballast valve is on?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Just an idea, but a Yoga mat may be a cheap and easy to find alternative material for the gasket. I know Ive felt some that are that soft foamy material like a wet suit, but a fraction of the price.

Jan 19, 2010
Just an idea, but a Yoga mat may be a cheap and easy to find alternative material for the gasket. I know Ive felt some that are that soft foamy material like a wet suit, but a fraction of the price.
Good idea... my daughter would kill me if I "repurposed" hers.