Warning.....Rutgerson Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Yes, I have

Art, have you tried to talk with Selden about this? On my boat it is the Selden vang which incorporates these blocks.
I sent 2 emails to Tom Sharkey. He has gotten back to me, and is interested in what the problems are.
This is typical where owners run into problems, such as EXPLODING blocks, but just go & get it fixed without filing reports with people that should know about this.
I find it very hard to believe that Rutgerson didn't know about this very dangerous situation. They did change their design & plastic. Why do that if the original stuff is fine???
Look at Garhauer, Harken & lewmar.
Their designs work, and they don't touch them for the most part.
I will continue to follow up with Selden, as a Number of other Rutgerson blocks on my boat are showing signs of failure, ie., not spinning freely.
If they were fine, they'd spin as they did when new.
Something is wrong, and I don't want to risk my spar over this

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Heard back from Selden

I sent 2 emails to Tom Sharkey. He has gotten back to me, and is interested in what the problems are.
This is typical where owners run into problems, such as EXPLODING blocks, but just go & get it fixed without filing reports with people that should know about this.
I find it very hard to believe that Rutgerson didn't know about this very dangerous situation. They did change their design & plastic. Why do that if the original stuff is fine???
Look at Garhauer, Harken & lewmar.
Their designs work, and they don't touch them for the most part.
I will continue to follow up with Selden, as a Number of other Rutgerson blocks on my boat are showing signs of failure, ie., not spinning freely.
If they were fine, they'd spin as they did when new.
Something is wrong, and I don't want to risk my spar over this
Tom Sharkey from Selden contacted me.
Long story short, he just wants to make the situation right.
I would expect nothing less from a class outfit like Selden, who prides themselves on quality & customer service.
Too bad that Rutgerson doesn't get this concept!!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Re: Heard back from Selden

Well, I replaced the 3 Rutgerson blocks on my boat on my nickle. They looked ok but it's not worth taking the risk after the dangerous failures reported here. As I said they looked ok but I did notice there was much more "play" in the sheaves than with my Harken, Lewmar, or Schaefer blocks. The sheaves in the other blocks spin freely but with no discernible wobble while the Rutgerson sheaves are quite loose and wobble when spun. Doubtful that would cause failures of the type reported but just caught my attention. Oh well, onward.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Smart move

Well, I replaced the 3 Rutgerson blocks on my boat on my nickle. They looked ok but it's not worth taking the risk after the dangerous failures reported here. As I said they looked ok but I did notice there was much more "play" in the sheaves than with my Harken, Lewmar, or Schaefer blocks. The sheaves in the other blocks spin freely but with no discernible wobble while the Rutgerson sheaves are quite loose and wobble when spun. Doubtful that would cause failures of the type reported but just caught my attention. Oh well, onward.
As reported, when these explode, it's very dangerous.
One owner damaged part of his mast apparently.
FYI
There was just a roundup article in Practical Sailor comparing the different manufacturers' blocks. They didn't EVEN TEST the Rutgerson.
Not sure what this says... You be the judge.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Follow up report

They said there were "zero failures"
Can I possibly be that lucky?
I doubt that statistic based on how thin the wall on the Beckett is.

When this block blew, it was pretty scary.
Personally, I would get something else.
The strongest version of this is Schaeffer.
Solid stainless block sides.
If you want a photo, I'll send it
It will set you back about 50 -60 bucks. Pretty small number for the piece of mind you'll have
BTW, if you look closely at the fracture, it sure looks like a defect in the material.
Something necessitated Rutgerson to change materials, and they did mention UV in their response to me.

As I use my mast base blocks to take someone aloft, I will be getting rid of all my Rutgerson blocks at the mast base.
The reasons are as follows:
Unlike even the lower end Harken, Lewmar, etc., there are no bearings in any of these blocks. Just a pulley riding on a pin.
I loosened off several halyards, and spun the blocks.
They are all binding up.
In other words, they don't rotate freely.
I am concerned about the material on these
If one block exploded the way it did, am I at risk on the others.
Rutgerson wouldn't give me any load data, so I have no idea if they are being over-stressed.
I would like to depend on my mast base blocks to take a man aloft when necessary. Based on my recent experience, I will only use Other snatch blocks I have on board.
As Rutgerson said their blocks can be broken with shock loads, this is way too risky for me.
When I reported this issue to Rutgerson, their response was, "never happens. We'll sell you some new blocks. Had to be your fault."
And lastly, the real kicker: "you have a sailboat, and you should be used to things breaking"

And here is how Selden dealt with the situation:
"we are very concerned, and want to fix this. We will replace these blocks with our own Selden brand. Do you mind covering the freight cost?"
Selden....You are a class act.
A supplier who deserves credit for stepping up, and making sure the customer is supported.
I have nothing but great things to say about your excellent customer service.

Apr 10, 2011
Hunter 41DS Cape Harbor Marina, Cape Coral
When I reported this issue to Rutgerson, their response was, "never happens. We'll sell you some new blocks. Had to be your fault."
And lastly, the real kicker: "you have a sailboat, and you should be used to things breaking"

And here is how Selden dealt with the situation:
"we are very concerned, and want to fix this. We will replace these blocks with our own Selden brand. Do you mind covering the freight cost?"
Selden....You are a class act.
A supplier who deserves credit for stepping up, and making sure the customer is supported.
I have nothing but great things to say about your excellent customer service.
Definitely +1 from S/V Escapade. I paid cost for the new blocks (40% of retail) but Tom covered the overnight freight for me. To replace a part that wasn't even theirs....

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Good updates guys. It is always nice to see good reports from vendors who deserve our money.

I had originally sent this thread to Rutgerson to allow them to make things right - but clearly they don't care - so we shouldn't waste our money on their products.

Companies that stand behind their products deserve solid support from the customer base - but those who don't wish to do so should be excluded from all future purchasing decisions. They don't deserve our hard earned cash.

I always want to give a company a chance to fix things - but if they decline - like Rutgerson - then they won't get a cent - and I will go out of my way to steer others away from them.

BTW - the SBO store has always been excellent - and I tell anyone who will listen to shop here !

Paul

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Just received the Selden blocks

Good updates guys. It is always nice to see good reports from vendors who deserve our money.

I had originally sent this thread to Rutgerson to allow them to make things right - but clearly they don't care - so we shouldn't waste our money on their products.

Companies that stand behind their products deserve solid support from the customer base - but those who don't wish to do so should be excluded from all future purchasing decisions. They don't deserve our hard earned cash.

I always want to give a company a chance to fix things - but if they decline - like Rutgerson - then they won't get a cent - and I will go out of my way to steer others away from them.

BTW - the SBO store has always been excellent - and I tell anyone who will listen to shop here !

Paul
I just received my Selden blocks. Excellent quality. They make the Rutgerson look like amateur hour.
Selden addressed the incredibly bad design of the Rutgerson junk, and put a stainless strap the full length of the block. On the Rutgerson, they either didn't understand that you can't rely on 1/4" plastic to take the full vang load, or were too cheap to build it properly.
Having seen that every other manufacturer of fiddle & beckett blocks either uses solid stainless sides, or stainless straps, I reiterate:
If you have Rutgerson blocks, you are in risk of having them explode under moderate load. I strongly suggest you replace them.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Why the Rutgerson blocks fail. Look at photo!

I just received my Selden blocks. Excellent quality. They make the Rutgerson look like amateur hour.
Selden addressed the incredibly bad design of the Rutgerson junk, and put a stainless strap the full length of the block. On the Rutgerson, they either didn't understand that you can't rely on 1/4" plastic to take the full vang load, or were too cheap to build it properly.
Having seen that every other manufacturer of fiddle & beckett blocks either uses solid stainless sides, or stainless straps, I reiterate:
If you have Rutgerson blocks, you are in risk of having them explode under moderate load. I strongly suggest you replace them.
This is why they fail

image.jpg

This is blatantly obvious.
This is a block supposedly rated at 2000 lbs.
How many people believe this small plastic shoulder will withstand that?
Don't all put up your hands at once.
On the beautifully engineered Selden blocks, there is a solid stainless strap running the length of the block between the 2 pulley centers.
All other manufactures do similar.....
Except Rutgerson.
I guess that's why they told me (candidly) that "blocks fail"
Because theirs do.
Having heard from other Hunter owners who have had similar very scary experiences with Rutgerson blocks, I suggest again:
Never use them in a vang.
Don't haul a man aloft depending on them.
Rutgerson told me directly that they fail under "shock loads"
Lets's say you're going downwind, and you have an accidental jibe.
According to Rutgerson, their block could break, (mind exploded), although I wasn't jibing or anything . Just sailing with nominal load. And BANG!

It's unfortunate that Selden doesn't promote their own line of blocks. They are beautifully made, and Selden stands behind their gear!!
Class act company

Mar 18, 2013
Hunter 49 Caribbean
Art, as I mentioned before I was on a beam reach from st kitts to st barts in 15 k of wind and my block exploded and scared us silly. I jury rigged a rapair and finished the sale and replaced with harken. I never contacted the manufacturer. That makes three of us so far on this thread

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I've heard from others as well

Art, as I mentioned before I was on a beam reach from st kitts to st barts in 15 k of wind and my block exploded and scared us silly. I jury rigged a rapair and finished the sale and replaced with harken. I never contacted the manufacturer. That makes three of us so far on this thread
Thanks for your input.
How is it that Rutgerson said they never heard of these blocks failing? Sounds a little suspect to me, considering the responses I've gotten.
Forgetting all of that, just look at the photo from my previous post. This block is GARBAGE!
How could anyone make an 85mm block, and just have a sliver of plastic holding it together.
I'm glad your new block is fine.
I am thrilled with my Selden replacements. Top quality. Just like their masts !
And excellent customer support .

Status
Not open for further replies.