Warning.....Rutgerson Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
They said there were "zero failures"
Can I possibly be that lucky?
I doubt that statistic based on how thin the wall on the Beckett is.

When this block blew, it was pretty scary.
Personally, I would get something else.
The strongest version of this is Schaeffer.
Solid stainless block sides.
If you want a photo, I'll send it
It will set you back about 50 -60 bucks. Pretty small number for the piece of mind you'll have
BTW, if you look closely at the fracture, it sure looks like a defect in the material.
Something necessitated Rutgerson to change materials, and they did mention UV in their response to me.

As I use my mast base blocks to take someone aloft, I will be getting rid of all my Rutgerson blocks at the mast base.
The reasons are as follows:
Unlike even the lower end Harken, Lewmar, etc., there are no bearings in any of these blocks. Just a pulley riding on a pin.
I loosened off several halyards, and spun the blocks.
They are all binding up.
In other words, they don't rotate freely.
I am concerned about the material on these
If one block exploded the way it did, am I at risk on the others.
Rutgerson wouldn't give me any load data, so I have no idea if they are being over-stressed.
I would like to depend on my mast base blocks to take a man aloft when necessary. Based on my recent experience, I will only use Other snatch blocks I have on board.
As Rutgerson said their blocks can be broken with shock loads, this is way too risky for me.
So far as I can see, those vang blocks are the only ones made by Rutgerson on my boat. My turning blocks at the base of the mast are all Lewmar.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Then you 're in good shape

So far as I can see, those vang blocks are the only ones made by Rutgerson on my boat. My turning blocks at the base of the mast are all Lewmar.
If that's all you have if theirs, then that's all you need to worry about.
Lewmar makes good blocks, AND they stand behind their product.

Apr 10, 2011
Hunter 41DS Cape Harbor Marina, Cape Coral
They said there were "zero failures"
Can I possibly be that lucky?
I doubt that statistic based on how thin the wall on the Beckett is.
When this block blew, it was pretty scary.
Art,
Escapade is a 2008 41DS. 2 months ago, 40 miles offshore, 18 to 20 knot steady state winds, no gusts, seas 3-4 feet, double reef in the main and the jib (both furling sails, but reduced to 2nd reef point size none the less),2:15am, peaceful, normal night. Then the Rutgerson fiddle block on the Selden vang literally exploded. It sounded like a LARGE caliber rifle shot.

So, there are now at least 2 known failures. I worked with the North American Selden product manager. He told me that Selden no longer trusts nor utilizes the Rutgerson product line. He was happy to help me contact them, but intimated that it would be a waste of effort. Selden now produces (or at leat brands) their own line of turning blocks. He recommended that I replace ALL of the Rutgerson equipment with anything else. He did not in any way try to coerce to buy the Selden product, he just really wanted me to be safe and get rid of the Rutgerson crap. As a good will effort, he sold me the Selden product at 40 % of the normal retail cost and overnighted them for free. Again, he didn't try to talk me into this at all, just made an effort to make right a bad situation. I found this to be exceptional customer service. And I will never have another Rutgerson product on any boat I own.

Feel free to use my name and example in any further correspondence you have with the Rutgerson folks.........

Bill

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Bill, thanks for sharing this

Bill,
Appreciate you posting this.
As I know that Rutgerson is reading this post, please be aware that ignoring legitimate customer complaints, and denying reports of actual dangerous product failures is costing you dearly.
You can no longer sweep factual letters and photos under the rug, and hope that your customer will simply buy more of your product as you suggested I should do. I am more than happy, (thrilled actually), with your competitor's blocks.
So, to the gentleman at Rutgerson who said there were no other reported block failures, I question the accuracy of that statement.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I cant comment about the quality of these blocks for their intended purpose on your boat, but I would like to comment on their use for putting a person aloft. I would never consider using a piece of plastic for holding a person off the ground. In the tree care industry, OSHA requires a minimum 5000 lb breaking strength for any piece of equipment used to hold someone aloft. You will never see a rock climber using a piece of plastic for fall protection. I can't imagine that any manufacturer of boating equipment is making these things with the intention that they are used for fall protection. My guess is that if any manufacturers blocks fail while you have a person aloft and that person is injured, they will not be held liable as you would not be using that piece of equipment for its intended purpose. Aslo, simply because a piece of equipment is made of metal does not necessarily make it appropriate for lifting a person, one has to consider how that piece is attached to the deck as well. Three screws into fiberglass and wood can fail easily as well.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Point well taken..

I cant comment about the quality of these blocks for their intended purpose on your boat, but I would like to comment on their use for putting a person aloft. I would never consider using a piece of plastic for holding a person off the ground. In the tree care industry, OSHA requires a minimum 5000 lb breaking strength for any piece of equipment used to hold someone aloft. You will never see a rock climber using a piece of plastic for fall protection. I can't imagine that any manufacturer of boating equipment is making these things with the intention that they are used for fall protection. My guess is that if any manufacturers blocks fail while you have a person aloft and that person is injured, they will not be held liable as you would not be using that piece of equipment for its intended purpose. Aslo, simply because a piece of equipment is made of metal does not necessarily make it appropriate for lifting a person, one has to consider how that piece is attached to the deck as well. Three screws into fiberglass and wood can fail easily as well.
But all blocks have composite material in them
Just the nature of the industry
Been that way for a long time

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
But all blocks have composite material in them
Just the nature of the industry
Been that way for a long time
Yup, I get that. Just would like people to strongly consider the equipment used to put people aloft. That includes good halyards, they have a tendency to be degraded fast by UV.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Escapade's photos in post #24 and the descriptions in this thread make feel a lot better about my penchant of replacing most of my OEM blocks with older but still still good condition blocks that I would find at nautical flea markets. The ones that that have stainless steel or aluminum (anodized that is still in good condition) cheeks, stainless steel straps between the block axles and the swivel head attachment and the becket. Like the ones in my attached picture.

Several years ago, I noticed Lewmar's new line of all plastic blocks. I thought that yes plastic technology has come a long way. But made me wonder.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
More exploding Rutgerson blocks!!!

Escapade's photos in post #24 and the descriptions in this thread make feel a lot better about my penchant of replacing most of my OEM blocks with older but still still good condition blocks that I would find at nautical flea markets. The ones that that have stainless steel or aluminum (anodized that is still in good condition) cheeks, stainless steel straps between the block axles and the swivel head attachment and the becket. Like the ones in my attached picture.

Several years ago, I noticed Lewmar's new line of all plastic blocks. I thought that yes plastic technology has come a long way. But made me wonder.
Just had an email from another Hunter owner.
He said it sounded like "a cannon going off" when his Rutgerson vang blocks exploded. Replaced them with Harken.

HEY FOLKS AT RUTGERSON!!!
You said this only happened to me. You made me feel so special, I couldn't believe how lucky I was. Now I find out this has happened to a whole bunch of people. What a disappointment to find out I'm not unique.
Don't know what I'm more upset about; having the crap scared out of me when this happened, or now knowing that I don't have unique bragging rights any more.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
OEM blocks

On my previous Hunter, the OEM blocks were Lewmar. Owned the boat for 12 years, and sailed it a lot. Not one failure. Never happened. They weren't Lewmar's highest end blocks, but still... Zero failures.
Unlike the comment made to me by Rutgerson that "blocks fail", no....these didn't. Yours do however.

Apr 10, 2011
Hunter 41DS Cape Harbor Marina, Cape Coral
HEY FOLKS AT RUTGERSON!!!
You said this only happened to me. You made me feel so special, I couldn't believe how lucky I was. Now I find out this has happened to a whole bunch of people. What a disappointment to find out I'm not unique.
Don't know what I'm more upset about; having the crap scared out of me when this happened, or now knowing that I don't have unique bragging rights any more.
Guessing you haven't heard much from them anymore! :evil:

Other owners out there...... I really would recommend checking to see if your boat has these blocks. In Art's and my case, it wasn't catastrophic, but it very easily could have been...as in losing the whole rig. And for less than $100 to replace those crap Rutgerson blocks, well cheap insurance in my mind. I don't ever race my boat, don't drive her hard, and these things broke. When the block let go, it flew forward and dented the metal parts on the in mast furling winch. That much force, had it hit someone's head instead, would have broken their skull open.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Guessing you haven't heard much from them anymore! :evil:

Other owners out there...... I really would recommend checking to see if your boat has these blocks. In Art's and my case, it wasn't catastrophic, but it very easily could have been...as in losing the whole rig. And for less than $100 to replace those crap Rutgerson blocks, well cheap insurance in my mind. I don't ever race my boat, don't drive her hard, and these things broke. When the block let go, it flew forward and dented the metal parts on the in mast furling winch. That much force, had it hit someone's head instead, would have broken their skull open.
For the record, I have Rutgerson blocks on the vang of a 2006 H33, Selden mast and vang. Have Lewmar blocks at the mast base.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Get rid of them before they break

For the record, I have Rutgerson blocks on the vang of a 2006 H33, Selden mast and vang. Have Lewmar blocks at the mast base.
These blocks aren't worth the risk.
When they explode under load, (as you've read here), it's pretty scary.
They will fail. Rutgerson themselves told me "blocks fail"
So... Take their word for it.

I suggest going with Harken. They are excellent and well built.
And they stand behind their product. Unlike the folks at Rutgerson who told me to just go and buy some new ones at full list price.
Even if they were free, I wouldn't use them. One scary failure is more than enough!!!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I was about to change out all my Vang/Main Sheet and halyard blocks with Rutgerson ... So, my question is, not which manufacturer makes acceptable blocks, but what sizes and working loads do you recommend, for my H34? Thanks... Jon

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
So, I contacted the US distributor for them and asked if they could help me afford a replacement.
While I do not have the exact reply jotted down, pretty much word for word their rep told me that "there were problems with that line, and the newer model was much better". So I asked what sort of help might be available to an owner... and after much hemming/hawing was told they would sell me a new pair at a discount. I sighed, and bought them, and the price was pretty much normal industry wholesale, and about what I could get by shopping any discount chandler.
The company? Lewmar.

In the next week or so I will have a warning/item to inspect from the same company. I just spent 500 clams, in parts, at wholesale to fix an issue that should have never occurred and certainly not in the short time the product has been in use.

The response was "never seen this before, but yes we do have those parts in stock".;) Of course when I used my good buddy google it seems I'm not the only one to have witnessed this premature failure of a well regarded high end product that costs LOTS of money....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I suggest going with Harken. They are excellent and well built.
And they stand behind their product. Unlike the folks at Rutgerson who told me to just go and buy some new ones at full list price.
Even if they were free, I wouldn't use them. One scary failure is more than enough!!!
Harken stuff is great, our boat is Harken & Garhauer for blocks, cars etc.. My only gripe with Harken is that the black plastic fades and looks bad a few years out. Garhauer on the other hand uses highly polished solid 316SS and offers a 10 year unconditional guarantee. Our 8 year old Garhauer stuff looks & performs like it was installed yesterday at a fraction of the cost of Harken...... That said Harken definitely has some of the best customer service in the industry....

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
More Dangerous Rutgerson failures

In the next week or so I will have a warning/item to inspect from the same company. I just spent $500.00 clams, in parts, at wholesale to fix an issue that should have never occurred and certainly not in the short time the product has been in use.

The response was "never seen this before, but yes we do have those parts in stock".;) Of course when I used my good buddy google it seems I'm not the only one to have witnessed this premature failure of a well regarded high end product that costs LOTS of money....
Thank you for posting this....Especially the part where "they never heard of this before"
Maybe its a "real new" employee. Only been there a few weeks. Other than that, just can't figure out why they'd say that. Especially since most companies are truthful about defects which can cause personal injury, dismasting, etc.

As I am aware that Rutgerson is reading this post (they sent me a nasty email), Perhaps enlighten us??? And why send the email to me directly? If you have something to defend your product's quality, post it here.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Thank you for posting this....Especially the part where "they never heard of this before"
Maybe its a "real new" employee. Only been there a few weeks. Other than that, just can't figure out why they'd say that. Especially since most companies are truthful about defects which can cause personal injury, dismasting, etc.

As I am aware that Rutgerson is reading this post (they sent me a nasty email), Perhaps enlighten us??? And why send the email to me directly? If you have something to defend your product's quality, post it here.
Art, have you tried to talk with Selden about this? On my boat it is the Selden vang which incorporates these blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.