Warning.....Rutgerson Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
As it is known, I post here frequently re: various topics.
My boat is a Hunter 49, which is always sailed very conservatively
Two weeks ago, a Rutgerson becket block which controls my vang exploded, presenting a fairly dangerous situation.

Upon inspection of this block, it is obvious why it failed. The becket end is a very thin ring , (about 5 mm in total) it simply split right down the middle.
BTW, sailing conditions were approx 10 knots true wind, 90 degrees apparent.

I immediately reported this failure to Rutgerson.
Their response was that:
The block has been upgraded with newer material which has better UV resistance
They tried to assert that I was using the block at a side angle (impossible with a vang)
They said it was probably "chock loads". I think they meant "shock loads", which I can assure you they weren't
Their most incredible statement was that "BLOCKS BREAK"
No,,, they don't when used within proper limits, which this was.
I, personally have never had a "block break"
They also said that as a boat owner, I should get used to "things breaking"
Yes, my water pump and cupboard latch did, but this wasn't something which could drop a man off your mast in a bosun's chair.

I suspect if you call Harken, Schaeffer, Ronstan, none of them will say, "yes, our blocks break"

I urge all owners as follows
Do not use any Rutgerson block in situations where personal injury can result in the failure of the block.
Secondly, inspect all of your Rutgerson blocks. If they are made with a grey plastic, that is the material I was told by Rutgerson was upgraded owing to UV.

If you are using any Rutgerson Becket blocks, inspect the wall thickness of where the becket attaches. Rutgerson refused to supply me with load data for the becket. My sail maker knows the aproximate forces on my main & vang, and I wanted to see if there was a bad specification.
Rutgerson then tried to pass off the problem on Selden, saying they didn't know the end use of the product.

Lastly, Rutgerson said they sold thousands of these blocks, and none of them broke. This was after telling me that "blocks break"
I'm a little confused by the contradiction

In summary, if taking a man aloft, do not depend on the Rutgerson blocks on your mast base. Use a known quality snatch block where they publish the loads, and are able to take shock. As it is good practice to take a man aloft on 2 halyards, there is the remote possibility that one halyard fails.
This would present a "shock load" on the second halyard.
As Rutgerson has clearly told me, their blocks fail with "chock load", I suggest you take their word for it, and not risk a person's safety

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
You are 100% correct

Art, great report.

One other word: Garhauer. :)
Forgive the omission on my end.
They make excellent gear, and I can tell you they would never say to a customer, "Blocks break"
Can you imagine if the winch manufactures said, yes, sometimes our drums fly off the bases"
When you manufacture marine gear, people's lives can, and do, depend on it.
Properly designed gear doesn't "just break" in normal usage.
There is not one report of a dismasting where everything was designed and maintained properly.
Lifejackets don't "sometimes sink"
So, to the gentleman at Rutgerson who trivialized the danger of my exploding block, you need to figure something out.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
This spring I bought 2 cam cleats from Garhauer among some other components for custom fairlead adjusters I was making. A month later they sent me two new ones saying the ones sent earlier had a flawed design. They didn't want the original ones back when I asked. Talk about customer service and backing up their product!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Exactly my point!!!

This spring I bought 2 cam cleats from Garhauer among some other components for custom fairlead adjusters I was making. A month later they sent me two new ones saying the ones sent earlier had a flawed design. They didn't want the original ones back when I asked. Talk about customer service and backing up their product!
Customer service is essential for a successful business.
Furthermore, you just don't take risks with marine gear that can be under extreme loads.

I had a response from Rutgerson this morning
A responsible company would have said,
"Sir, upon review of your written report, we respectfully request you return the subject block. Should we find that the breakage is not caused by obvious my misuse, we will be pleased to exchange to block with our current model"

But,, here's what they said....
"You're twisting our words"
Yes we said that you are to expect blocks to break, but we didn't say that our blocks break. Somebody want to decipher that for me.
They then accused me if only wanting "a free block"
In all my 300 odd posts on the Hunter owners site, I've never expected anything other than to inform other owners of uogrades, modifications, safety issues.
I sincerely thought that Rutgerson would want this block back for analysis.
Certainly, most other companies want gear back that has failed in a destructive fashion. This is for 2 reasons:
Firstly, they want to confirm there is nothing wrong with their process
Secondly, if the item has been redesigned, as Rutgerson said they did, ensure the next generation has corrected the initial fault.
I've only had one instance where a company didn't want the return of a hazardous product. They did replace the defect, but even at my insistence and offer to pay freight, they just said "chuck it"
And to the kind folks at Rutgerson who have accused me of wanting nothing more than a free block, please note that I purchased not one, but three different blocks from your principal competitors.
The cost of the blocks was insignificant with the potential for damage, should I ever have an exploding block again.
So I reviewed them all:
Schaeffer, Harken, and Lewmar.
As it turns out, all three are vastly superior to the Rutgerson model, at the same cost.
The lowest friction was the Harken, the strongest side cheeks Shaefer, and the Lewmar was also excellent.
Frankly, the Rutgerson, with its lack of bearings, etc. Doesn't even come close.

So, to the kind gentleman at Rutgerson who sent me such a nasty letter today, please read the other comments on this post, such as how Garhauer sent out blocks just to be sure the customer had the best product the company could produce.
Did they do this because they were afraid of a lawsuit? Did someone force them?
No..... They have pride in their company.

Speaking of which, I do think its important to mention Hunter at this point.
While there are a few owners whom have encountered problems, and have issues, the vast majority of readers & contributors on this site say the same thing. Hunter's customer service is second to none.
Their crew, guys like Eddie Breeden, will do whatever it takes to let people know that Hunter stands behind their product.
I have had nothing but the most exemplary service from this company.

Unlike my recent experience with Rutgerson, Hunter's attitude has always been, "how can we make this right for you"
And this is how you keep customers, and attract new ones.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Credit where due, and where not...

Thanks for the warning and the update. Bit player in the US market, and likely to stay that way...
:doh:

I have a similar story concerning another much larger company, about a decade ago. No exploding block, though.
Our boat came with a couple of low profile genoa lead blocks on deck tracks. Gray plastic sheaves running on a solid axle. Sturdy and looked like they ought to last forever, although basic in design. While they spun freely by hand, under load both would lock up and I soon found out why there were grooves worn in the sheaves. Grooves got worse, of course. Total prior use of these was about three seasons, before we bought our boat.

So, I contacted the US distributor for them and asked if they could help me afford a replacement.
While I do not have the exact reply jotted down, pretty much word for word their rep told me that "there were problems with that line, and the newer model was much better". So I asked what sort of help might be available to an owner... and after much hemming/hawing was told they would sell me a new pair at a discount. I sighed, and bought them, and the price was pretty much normal industry wholesale, and about what I could get by shopping any discount chandler.
The company? Lewmar.

Over the last 15 years, every part on our boat that was not already Harken, has been changed over to Harken and Garhauer.

*Sidebar: I had one mainsheet block attachment piece (ss) that was bent up by the PO, and asked Harken if they could replace it... They did so, and refused to take my money. Great Service!
:)

Loren

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
You have helped prove my point

Thanks for the warning and the update. Bit player in the US market, and likely to stay that way...

I have a similar story concerning another much larger company, about a decade ago. No exploding block, though.
Our boat came with a couple of low profile genoa lead blocks on deck tracks. Gray plastic sheaves running on a solid axle. Sturdy and looked like they ought to last forever, although basic in design. While they spun freely by hand, under load both would lock up and I soon found out why there were grooves worn in the sheaves. Grooves got worse, of course. Total prior use of these was about three seasons, before we bought our boat.

So, I contacted the US distributor for them and asked if they could help me afford a replacement.
While I do not have the exact reply jotted down, pretty much word for word their rep told me that "there were problems with that line, and the newer model was much better". So I asked what sort of help might be available to an owner... and after much hemming/hawing was told they would sell me a new pair at a discount. I sighed, and bought them, and the price was pretty much normal industry wholesale, and about what I could get by shopping any discount chandler.
The company? Lewmar.

Over the last 15 years, every part on our boat that was not already Harken, has been changed over to Harken and Garhauer.

*Sidebar: I had one mainsheet block attachment piece (ss) that was bent up by the PO, and asked Harken if they could replace it... They did so, and refused to take my money. Great Service!

Loren
Harken is a class act. Known for their service and support.
I agree that Rutgerson is a "bit player", and will never get any market share.
Their attitude with me was beyond offensive.
The funny thing is that after reviewing 3 competitive blocks, I wouldn't take theirs for free. Safety isn't worth saving a measly 50 bucks over on a 49 foot boat.
I am aware of many stories such as yours with Harken where the manufacturer boldly and gladly stands behind their product.
I've had great experiences with seaward, Mermaid, Jabsco.
All class acts.
Rutgerson won't get any US market share until they improve their product and quality of support.
There is a reason that Selden uses them. They are cheap.
But cheap is expensive when blocks explode.

I have always found with boats that there is usually a reason that quality products cost a little more.

As in the case of Rutgerson, there is no value in faulty equipment.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Another example of excellent customer support

The company? Lewmar.

Loren
As Hunter owners know, Selden had a problem with their forestay fittings on a few Hunter models.
Selden's original proposal to its customers was that they would supply the replacement part, but the customer had to bear the cost of retrofit.
This entailed either pulling the rig, or having a professional rigger do a complicated procedure, to the tune of about $800.
The customers, myself included, thought this was unfair.
Selden's US manager was very forthright, insofar that the decision was made at a corporate level, and he was doing his best to convince them to cover the repair costs.
Shortly thereafter, and true to his word, he convinced head office that it was necessary to support the customers, and fully cover these repair costs.

All Hunter owners were looked after, with no compromise or inconvenience.
Upon inspection, it was found that none of the Hunter spars had badly welded fittings. Nevertheless, Selden did the right thing.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
Hay Art would you have a picture of the block? I'm heading to the boat right now and I plan on inspecting the blocks when I get there any way but a picture of what exactly exploded would be great. As you know a pic is worth a thousand words.
How the davits working out?

Dave

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Yes, I'll do that

Hay Art would you have a picture of the block? I'm heading to the boat right now and I plan on inspecting the blocks when I get there any way but a picture of what exactly exploded would be great. As you know a pic is worth a thousand words.

Dave
I'll post the photo.
When you see it, you'll wonder how this block lasted at all.
Seriously poor design

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
My davits

Dave
They are amazing
This was a huge project
I'm going to write this up on a separate post.
You are going to be very jealous

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
They are amazing
This was a huge project
I'm going to write this up on a separate post.
You are going to be very jealous
I already am Remember you already sent me pictures via email.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Oh, that's right

I already am Remember you already sent me pictures via email.
Well, I'm going to post anyway, and make everyone else jealous.
Every place I go with the boat, people just stare at them

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Re: Oh, that's right

I checked on my boat this morning and that block is integral with the Selden vang, which I'm sure most of us (recent Hunters) have. The area of the failure shown above is a becket in a 3 to 1 purchase, so the becket really sees only about 1/3 of the vang load, which really isn't that high a load even on boats our size. Clearly there is a materials problem with that block for the OP's block to fail in the way it did. I don't believe I have any choice but to replace the entire purchase with blocks from another vendor. In my judgement a dynamic failure with pieces of material propelled by stored up energy could indeed be dangerous. I wonder if there have been any other similar failures in the fleet?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
According to Rutgerson

I checked on my boat this morning and that block is integral with the Selden vang, which I'm sure most of us (recent Hunters) have. The area of the failure shown above is a becket in a 3 to 1 purchase, so the becket really sees only about 1/3 of the vang load, which really isn't that high a load even on boats our size. Clearly there is a materials problem with that block for the OP's block to fail in the way it did. I don't believe I have any choice but to replace the entire purchase with blocks from another vendor. In my judgement a dynamic failure with pieces of material propelled by stored up energy could indeed be dangerous. I wonder if there have been any other similar failures in the fleet?
They said there were "zero failures"
Can I possibly be that lucky?
I doubt that statistic based on how thin the wall on the Beckett is.

When this block blew, it was pretty scary.
Personally, I would get something else.
The strongest version of this is Schaeffer.
Solid stainless block sides.
If you want a photo, I'll send it
It will set you back about 50 -60 bucks. Pretty small number for the piece of mind you'll have
BTW, if you look closely at the fracture, it sure looks like a defect in the material.
Something necessitated Rutgerson to change materials, and they did mention UV in their response to me.

As I use my mast base blocks to take someone aloft, I will be getting rid of all my Rutgerson blocks at the mast base.
The reasons are as follows:
Unlike even the lower end Harken, Lewmar, etc., there are no bearings in any of these blocks. Just a pulley riding on a pin.
I loosened off several halyards, and spun the blocks.
They are all binding up.
In other words, they don't rotate freely.
I am concerned about the material on these
If one block exploded the way it did, am I at risk on the others.
Rutgerson wouldn't give me any load data, so I have no idea if they are being over-stressed.
I would like to depend on my mast base blocks to take a man aloft when necessary. Based on my recent experience, I will only use Other snatch blocks I have on board.
As Rutgerson said their blocks can be broken with shock loads, this is way too risky for me.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Look at the construction

If you go here http://www.rutgerson.se/default.asp?id=10&ShowProduct=55&childto=&Group=138 you will see that the block we have has an advertised safe working load of at least 1500 lb and a breaking strength well over 2000 lb.

Here's what I found as the Schaefer block recommended for boats my size.
http://schaeferhardware.com//detail.aspx?ID=1139. Much higher advertised load capacity.
Without even knowing any numbers, which one would your expect to fail first??
Somewhat obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.