Walkie talkie ideas

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Jeepers. Another color-coded line thread. Sheesh.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A word on technology (and not on the need of it). Please note that Bluetooth, as it is defined and standardised, is intended for Personal Area Networks (PAN). This means that the range should not exceed around 10 m (30 ft.). You distance (and range, and performance) may vary, but if the distance from helm to bow is less than that, you probably don't need the communication gear; if that distance is longer, you are entering a marginal area and your performance may not be as good as you would want it to be.
Probably Brian's (@Brian D) idea is better (more reliable?).

Marek

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You can get radios just about anywhere. Brand really only adds a higher price. Walmart has FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. That is what you will be using. It is a free band on the UHF Frequency range (462 and 467 MHz). The use is free meaning does not require a license. If you see radios that say GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), you can use that also. Some of the channels I believe can be use without a license, those being 01 - 14. Channels 08 - 14 belong to the FRS so no license is needed.

The point being, any of the box stores portable radios can be used.

added - the reason I mention Walmart is because if you have issues, you can take them back to ANY Walmart. Just keep the receipt.
We have a pair of talkies aboard (Target version). They are useful when sending someone ashore where there is no cell service (or your cell battery is depleted), and you do not wish to send the hand-held VHF. Say, when someone is hiking on the island out of sight. We also use ours when one of us is ashore to buy stuff; last minute check back to the boat b/f returning, etc. As you gathered above, we do not use them when anchoring. They are difficult for clear verbal exchanges in high wind; sometimes even in just a moderate sailing wind.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I used to use vox FRS headsets playing paintball in a group. Was fun for a bunch of old guys to be able to have tactics over the younger dudes. I see where it would be useful on a boat.

Wonder if I can get a set to talk to myself when I singlehand? :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm with King's on this one - it's a matter of practice and understanding between people. Perhaps I do not see the need in anchoring or weighing to have complex conversations "back and turn, while revving at 1,500 ...". Most things do not happen fast enough that we cannot walk back and forth to have a quick meeting if hand signals fail us. Of course, we are anchoring, not trying to pickup moorings which are considerably more precise. The anchor goes down and anything within a boat length is close enough. Also, I only have 10 meters between us, so perhaps with larger boats more technology is needed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How about that speaker you have on the mast that you use to make fog horn sounds. Some of them are two way with your VHF radio. Just turn on the hailer and let your crew and everyone within fog horn distance know what you intend to do. You do not even need to yell, just adjust the volume.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Funny:laugh:. I use mine (when it's hooked up) to tell the a-hole putting down a stern line to moor himself inside my swinging radius, while trying to ignore me, that I'm advising him (as required by Admiralty Law) that he's too close and potentially creating a hazard to me and himself:poke:. Others get to hear it too.:badbad:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Of course, we are anchoring, not trying to pickup moorings which are considerably more precise. The anchor goes down and anything within a boat length is close enough.
Actually, it's not much different although you may not get to practice it as often. There's more stress in the crowded places, like Avalon, where your neighbors are close and there's barely room to swing the boat from the fairway up to the mooring pin w/o bumping somebody. But it's generally the same if based on routine. "Approach the pin in neutral on momentum, from DDW if possible." "We'll pick-up the pin on starboard side." "Stop the boat if it's over-shooting with a short burst in reverse." "If it fails, back away to the fairway, and we'll do a whole new approach." Of course, it's always a much more dynamic situation than anchoring and, as you say, requires more precision. People get into trouble trying to rescue a failing attempt--very ugly sometimes! It's better (more likely to succeed) IMHO to back away even with the bow blowing off to leeward (toward your neighbor) than to attempt to swing the bow into the next fairway ahead. Your helm (sometimes the Admiral) is typically reluctant to power up hard enough in reverse to escape; so, the skipper needs to get back there ASAP. No shouting--just go do it!!

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
That person should already know that that is part of the routine.
I agree that in routine situations like dropping an anchor, hand signals are sufficient but when things are not routine, it's easier to communicate verbally rather than with hand signals. The helms person may need explicit instructions in order to understand what you want them to do.

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Some good suggestions (and a few good chuckles...). Thanks for the input.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Even worse is when I've seen the the wife on the bow deploying and recovering (without a windless) while the husband is at the helm. Is this because the "Captain" has to be at the helm? Isn't that the easy part? Shouldn't the Admiral take that job?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
This is an interesting question. My wife isn't yet comfortable at the helm (which we are working on), so she insists that she be on the foredeck for lowering and raising the anchor. We have no windlass. For somebody comfortable at the helm, that would be "easier" than the physical work with the anchor. But my wife will tell you she has taken the "easier" way out, by not having to maneuver the boat.

Everyone has their own perspective.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very understandable The idea of being responsible for a 31 foot boat and not sure it can be controlled would be frightening for some. It is like the new father not wanting to pickup the baby for fear you might break her. Give her time. You may not be able to get the helm back once she becomes confident in her skills. My wife is just the opposite. Not afraid of the helm. Thinks it is like driving a car. :yikes: Of course it is not and I am monitoring the process all the time. :badbad: She is more concerned about falling overboard off the bow holding an anchor and chain. SF I would be thankful your wife is willing to do the bow work.:dancing:

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This is an interesting question. My wife isn't yet comfortable at the helm (which we are working on), so she insists that she be on the foredeck for lowering and raising the anchor. We have no windlass. For somebody comfortable at the helm, that would be "easier" than the physical work with the anchor. But my wife will tell you she has taken the "easier" way out, by not having to maneuver the boat.

Everyone has their own perspective.

Similar here. Admiral not comfortable (or skillful) at the helm, but handles all foredeck work, including (hank-on) headsail changes, skillfully and quickly. I do insist on performing anchor retrieval myself in all but the best conditions, simply because I can't stand seeing her work that hard.

On topic ... I'm a Luddite, and make no bones about it. But if I had a slightly larger boat, I cannot see any good reason why NOT to employ headsets, nor have I heard one in this thread. There are countless things which cannot be clearly communicated through hand signals, let alone in darkness or when the foredeck man has his/her back to the helmsman. And I do not like shouting.

If using headsets, I would always use hand signals simultaneously, so if (when) a headset failed, the show would go on uninterrupted.

JMHO. And almost everyone here has much more experience than I.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My "Admiral" at the helm began as an antidote to sea sickness, which works fairly well. Eventually, with the two of us racing our P-30 over several years it was either her at the helm (yes, she helms at the start) or her grinding in the 155% genoa with the Captain shouting, and doing other deck work such as setting the boat for wing-on-wing with a heavy whisker pole, plus taking it down, and jiffy reefing. Before the Bavaria with its nice windlass the anchor had to be pulled manually. So, I did and do the hard muscle work and she helms the boat, quite competently; but the Captain still directs--such as "Ready About", etc. Years of practice!!;) There is no need here (at least so far) for walkies or head phones.

Last edited: