Waeco Fridge/Freezer Question

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi All:
In our boat we have the OEM freezer and fridge. They are Waeco Coolmatic. After 11 years they both work fine and keep whatever temperatures I set. I usually run the freezer around 10 F and the fridge around 40 F. But after all this time I'm wondering if I should have them recharged with coolant. I'm wondering if I recharged them, they may run more efficiently and use less amp hours. For example if we turn in say around 2200 with the batts at 12.8 V, when we awake at say 0600 the batts will be around 12.5 V, which to me doesn't seem bad.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Rick

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is there an evaporator accessible in the compartment? If so, check the level of refrigerant by noting how high the evap is frosted. You want 95% or so, and no frost on the refrigerant lines leading to the evap.

Oct 1, 2007
Is there an evaporator accessible in the compartment? If so, check the level of refrigerant by noting how high the evap is frosted. You want 95% or so, and no frost on the refrigerant lines leading to the evap.
Ah! Thank you for the tip

Feb 20, 2011
Ah! Thank you for the tip
Yer welcome. ;) Researched the heck outta this recently.
AB Super Cold machine. Running non-stop eating close to 180 amp hours/day.
Didn't take much r134a at all to top it off, so charge incrementally, allowing time between squirts of whatever you're using.
Overcharging can be just as bad or worse.

Oct 1, 2007
JSG:
Well, the fridge has been running continuously about 1 week. I can observe frost on the evap plate right to the top. Full of food of course. So what do you think that should tell me from your research. These units are self contained and mounted in spaces under the counter tops.

Feb 20, 2011
JSG:
Well, the fridge has been running continuously about 1 week. I can observe frost on the evap plate right to the top. Full of food of course. So what do you think that should tell me from your research. These units are self contained and mounted in spaces under the counter tops.
Can you see the supply tubes, and are they exhibiting frost? How's your insulation? Big sun heating the boat?
After 11 years they both work fine and keep whatever temperatures I set. I usually run the freezer around 10 F and the fridge around 40 F.
Lotsa variables, but it shouldn't run continuously.

Oct 1, 2007
Can you see the supply tubes, and are they exhibiting frost? How's your insulation? Big sun heating the boat?

Lotsa variables, but it shouldn't run continuously.
So, JSG:
Well, today I ran some test cases under controlled conditions. I ran both the fridge and the freezer overnight and empty, so I knew that in the morning they were stabilized. Ambient temperature down below was 61 F. Boat all buttoned up but no sun anyway. Cold up here today.
Then I put a stop watch on them.
The freezer ran 24 minutes in a 60 minute period.
The fridge ran 12 minutes in a 60 minute period.
After the run I opened both to check the temp. Freezer was at 10 F where I always run it. The fridge was at 40 F on the front shelf also where I always run it.
So I'm pretty happy with these numbers. I don't think I need to pursue recharging. I also talked with the fridge guy at Marlowe-Hunter. His advice was if they are running to my satisfaction, leave them alone. His experience is that the recharging procedure is not precise nor repetitive, so if I "mess around with 'em" I have at least a 50/50 chance of making the situation worse.
Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2011
So, JSG:
Well, ...
So I'm pretty happy with these numbers. I don't think I need to pursue recharging. I also talked with the fridge guy at Marlowe-Hunter. His advice was if they are running to my satisfaction, leave them alone. His experience is that the recharging procedure is not precise nor repetitive, so if I "mess around with 'em" I have at least a 50/50 chance of making the situation worse.
Any thoughts?
I agree. Sounds like you're at a good place WRT temps and run times, so leave well enough alone!
Don'tcha just love it when things fix themselves?