Visits from those we love who have passed

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Cormorants stick together as a bird group around these parts and really dislike/fear humans. They will flutter off when you get within a few hundred feet. So, I'm coming down the east side of Guemes just past Jack Island on my way home when I notice this Cormorant doing a large circle around the boat. When he is behind the boat he makes a bee line to my stern, flies over the dingy and plops down on our aft sun deck. Sheesh! What's the occasion.

We eagle eye each other, then I ask if he is hungry. I go below and open a can of tuna, which I thought he might enjoy. Nope! He just sits there, even when I try to shoo him away. After taking a video clip of this surprise visitor, I get more aggressive with his time to depart. Even when I reach out to pet him, he will not budge; he just pecks at my hand.

Finally after much coaxing he decides to depart without even accepting a morsel of my gratitude. Reminded me of my long departed uncle, whether so, perhaps. Just a very abnormal experience from such an elusive feathered friend.