Visits from those we love who have passed

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
My father passed away in 2010. He was the reason we sail now........ and though his sailing days began at age 70, and mine at almost 50, it has had serious influence in my life ever since. I yearned for a sign from my dad, and one day, while still in San Diego Bay, I had my wish.

As we began our return to our marina one evening, a seagull began racing alongside of us, just about at our eye level. At first, it was just cute, 'look at him keeping exact pace with us!" He would go a certain distance then circle around again, and repeat the race. He did this maybe 10 times and I suddenly realized it was my dad.

About 4 years later, in Dana Point, we were with 8 others, many who knew my dad , going out for one of our last races of the season. As we made our way out of the channel I glanced over to the island side of the channel where benches and grass makes a nice place to meet the morning and watch boats leaving the harbor. And there he was..... Cap on his head, newspaper covering his face and crossed legs, just the way he did. I said "wow, that looks like my dad doesn't it?" and just as everyone looked over, the newspaper was lowered and there he was. He watched us for a minute or two and then continued reading the paper that again covered his face. It WAS him, we all agreed, although it was a ways off. It just felt right that he'd be there to watch us go out for one of the final races.

My mother passed away a couple weeks ago. I will be patient and alert, and wait for her to come visit when she is ready.

No doubt many of you have had a similar experience; It's such a perfect place to have a visit. I would love to hear about yours.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
My condolences,I feel your pain. Lost my Mom Jan. 4. Hope I get a visit someday.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"The Unknown Shore"
Sometime at eve when the tide is low,
I shall slip my mooring and sail away
With no response to the friendly hail
Of kindred craft in the busy bay.
In the silent hush of the twilight pale
When the night stoops down to embrace the day
And the voices call in the water’s flow….

Sometime at eve when the tide is low
I shall slip my mooring and sail away.
Through the purple shadows that darkly trail
O’er the ebbing tide of the Unknown Sea,
I shall fare me away, with a dip of sail
And a ripple of waters to tell the tale
Of a lonely voyager, sailing away
To Mystic Isles where at anchor lay
The craft of those who have gone before
O’er the Unknown Sea to the Unknown Shore.

A few who have watched me sail away
Will miss my craft from the busy bay;
Some friendly barks that were anchored near,
Some loving souls that my heart held dear,
In silent sorrow will drop a tear—
But I shall have peacefully furled my sail
In moorings sheltered from storm or gale
And greeted friends who have gone before
O’er the Unknown Sea to the Unknown Shore.

-- Elizabeth Clark Hardy

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sometimes you just know ... we had to euthanize our (14 year old) dog Shelby a few months ago and we are still heartbroken over it. A couple of weeks after, Sue went to a friend's house for a gathering and the host had a psychic attend because she believes in supernatural occurrences, but also to have a sort of 'fun' event. Sue was ready to believe so she recorded her session on her phone so that I could listen later. The psychic was starting off with some material that could be related to Sue's grandparents that went on for awhile, but then she broke off and said "there's movement ... you have a dog sitting next to you". At that point, she had Sue's full attention! I suppose a fake psychic knows enough by experience that just about everybody has a beloved dog in their past, but this was too recent to simply dismiss. Anyway, we really miss our Shelby and would give anything to have just a little more time with her.
Fall 2010 Photos 115.JPG

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I had an acquaintance once who had an older mixed breed dog that I became fond of. The dog was shephard sized, and colored somewhat like a calico cat, in that he had some orange, some brown, and some white. The time came one day to put the dog down, and my best friend, who had introduced me to the dog and his owner, was called to the house for moral support. My friend in turn called me, and I of course went. The vet, who loved animals enough to do this at their home, instead of at her office, arrived and did her job in the most compassionate way imaginable for all. We had only been sitting in the backyard about 5 minutes, silently mourning the dog, when the biggest butterfly I have ever seen, colored orange and brown and white, alighted on the owner's knee, and stayed for several minutes. I'll never forget it.

@Scott T-Bird - I hope you get another sign.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
thanks for this beautiful poem. one of my dearest sailing friends is now in last stage alzheimers and soon will be leaving for the Unknown Shore. Almost till the end, he was able to single hand his beloved 40 year old catalina 27...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My family sailed from Clearwater Florida to Hurricane Island Maine for the Summer when I was 14. On the ICW, sailing home, we noticed an old houseboat with a moon painted on her bow. The name of the boat was 'Selene'.

We ran across Selene numerous times on our journey back home. We lost her on the Caloosahatchee Waterways when we turned inland to cross the state of Florida to the gulf coast. Never saw anybody aboard, just the houseboat cruising slowly along our same route.
After returning to our home port, sunflower went for some work and we all stayed at my grandmother's house. She had a huge house with several guest rooms on a bluff overlooking Clearwater Bay.
After being there for a week, my grandmother died in her sleep. No one saw it coming. The evening before, my grandmother turned in and my father went for a jog before also going to bed with the rest of us. He noticed that houseboat anchored in the bay, just below the bluffs. My father had never known a boat to anchor there before.
The next morning, after finding his mother, he also saw that the houseboat was gone.
He, we, never saw it again. My father likes to believe the houseboat was there to take his mother away. Selene is the Moon goddess in Greek mythology.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
My Dad sometimes comes to me in my dreams. He slipped his lines in 2001 and I miss his wisdom and kindness. He gave me a love of all things out doors and marine. In all his life he gave me but one book which he personally wrote in for me. It was a book on sailing... This was before I bought a sail boat. :sosad:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Another fitting tribute, used at my wife’s memorial service was a poem by Henry VanDyke entitled “Gone From My Sight” ... Very appropriate for for a sailing family.
I miss her every day, but I know she is in a good place.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
In 2006 I lost my 18yo son in a car accident. We used to go to play golf on executive (Par 3) golf courses. He wasn't an avid golfer but liked to go "with dad". I was a part of my company's golf team and we played once a week. One time I remember coming to a tee box and there were maybe 6 or 8 rabbits just playing round. As usual I would try and scurry the rabbits off the tee box. But one rabbit was very stubborn and would not flinch. I watched him for awhile while the others were teeing off. He just watched me. When it came my time to tee off I looked one more time and he was still there. I hit the ball, turned around, the rabbit watched then turned to leave. Just before disappearing in the grass, he turned one more time and looked at me. Then he was gone. Yeah, it freaked me out.

Another time I was in my garage recharging the boat batteries. At this time my garage was so clean and neat. Not a tool out of place and everything fix to its designated location. I pulled up a chair so I could just sit over the battery and charger and watch. Not like it would make the charging process any faster mind you. All of a sudden one of my rakes fell to the floor. Startled me. I just looked at it like that should not have happened. I got up and went to pickup the rake and a loud bang caused me to jump and turn. Right where I was sitting was a cloud of smoke and debris from the charger. It had just exploded. Yeah, that freaked also me.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
About twenty years ago I had a very lucid dream where my grandfather came to me to say goodbye, early the next morning my mom called to tell me that my grandfather had died the night before. I was totally blown away, I talked to him in the most lucid dream ever and he was adamant about being gone and that he wanted to say goodbye. My sister that lives 1500 miles away in S.Dakota calls me on my way to work. I thought she was going to tell me about my grandfather, but instead she goes on and on about the most realistic dream where my grandfather had come to her and said goodbye. I told her about my dream and they were nearly identical! Due to the time differences she had not been called and didnt know that he passed the night before. I told her about it and she got hysterical and broke down and cried. How could you possibly explain the nearly identical dreams halfway across the country when neither one of us had talked to each other or my grandfather in weeks? Even as I write this it brings tears to my eyes and makes me wonder HOW this happened. Strangest thing ever!!!! I dont think I will ever know... until I ask him myself. I do beleive (now) that there is WAY more to life and death and love and family than anyone alive will EVER be able to explain with science and logic. But I also know he IS there, watching and somehow helping me make my way through life. One dream changed several peoples view on what comes as one crosses that line between life and whatever comes next.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
My 73 year old father has been diagnosed with alzhiemers and has gone downhill fast in the past few years. We spent the whole day out on one of my boats the last time he visited. He told me that my grandfather had always wanted to sail the great circle, but never got to. I have always wanted to sail to the property that I grew up on with my grandparents on the ICW. Now I feel like I have him watching and feel sure at some point I wil do one or both.I have started having dreams about my father passing and they REALLY get to me. Nobody but my sister really seems to understand.

Last edited:

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
My family sailed from Clearwater Florida to Hurricane Island Maine for the Summer when I was 14. On the ICW, sailing home, we noticed an old houseboat with a moon painted on her bow. The name of the boat was 'Selene'.

We ran across Selene numerous times on our journey back home. We lost her on the Caloosahatchee Waterways when we turned inland to cross the state of Florida to the gulf coast. Never saw anybody aboard, just the houseboat cruising slowly along our same route.
After returning to our home port, sunflower went for some work and we all stayed at my grandmother's house. She had a huge house with several guest rooms on a bluff overlooking Clearwater Bay.
After being there for a week, my grandmother died in her sleep. No one saw it coming. The evening before, my grandmother turned in and my father went for a jog before also going to bed with the rest of us. He noticed that houseboat anchored in the bay, just below the bluffs. My father had never known a boat to anchor there before.
The next morning, after finding his mother, he also saw that the houseboat was gone.
He, we, never saw it again. My father likes to believe the houseboat was there to take his mother away. Selene is the Moon goddess in Greek mythology.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Wow, that is a beautiful story, thank you.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Another fitting tribute, used at my wife’s memorial service was a poem by Henry VanDyke entitled “Gone From My Sight” ... Very appropriate for for a sailing family.
I miss her every day, but I know she is in a good place.
I just got that poem, it was in a beautiful and helpful hospice booklet I received. Its so perfect!
Gone From My Sight  from Hospice hand out.jpg

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
What beautiful and amazing stories you have all added here. I can't wait to have my mom come visit me, its been 10 years since we've had a decent conversation and I miss that so much.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just got that poem, it was in a beautiful and helpful hospice booklet I received. Its so perfect! View attachment 146075
Somebody read this same poem at my grandmother's funeral and I have often thought of it and tried to find it, but never could because I couldn't remember enough of it. Thanks for including this! I think I will always know where to find it now. I thought it might have been a translation from a Norwegian source (since my grandmother is Nordic).

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Sometimes you just know ... we had to euthanize our (14 year old) dog Shelby a few months ago and we are still heartbroken over it. A couple of weeks after, Sue went to a friend's house for a gathering and the host had a psychic attend because she believes in supernatural occurrences, but also to have a sort of 'fun' event. Sue was ready to believe so she recorded her session on her phone so that I could listen later. The psychic was starting off with some material that could be related to Sue's grandparents that went on for awhile, but then she broke off and said "there's movement ... you have a dog sitting next to you". At that point, she had Sue's full attention! I suppose a fake psychic knows enough by experience that just about everybody has a beloved dog in their past, but this was too recent to simply dismiss. Anyway, we really miss our Shelby and would give anything to have just a little more time with her.
View attachment 146050
Sue and Scott, I know the pain of losing your best buddy..... We had a 120 lb. White Golden (his name was Buddy!) who only lived for about 8 years. Since he passed away, we have not been able to entertain the idea of another... I think there is an added difficulty when they are big.... Love the idea that Sue had him sitting there next to her.... lovely!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As a student of Greek mysticism and a reductive idealist, all these experiences make perfect sense. There is a connection between everything in all time. All we have to do be open to the experience and practice paying attention. There is a lot about out-of-body experiences by people who have been declared dead, then recovered.

Some ancient Greek philosophers claimed the the only difference between the living and the dead was that the dead are not under the illusion that they are alive. ;)

Bless you all and may you find comfort in knowing your lost ones are not lost at all. You and them will always be one.

- Will (Dragonfly)