Vinyl covers for shrouds

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
My genoa and its sheets rub on the shrouds when tacking so I put those split vinyl tubes over the shrouds to protect the sail. I'm now worrying this will trap water and cause corrosion. Anyone have experience with this?

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
They will be fine if you take the covers off in the off season but if you don't they will get grody under the plastic. Have used for 16yrs and no problem yet.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
EXPERIENCE, YES. WHEN I TOOK MINE OFF AFTER (?) YEARS, THE SHROUD WAS COVERED WITH GREEN MOSS-LIKE GROWTH. If you must get them, get an over-sized one that allows air and water to pass through.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WI...
Your shrouds are made of stainless (not never rust). Stainless works because the metal when exposed to air does not let water get in. Let water sit on stainless and you have the makings of a rust farm.
If the guards are over sized (so air can get down and around the shroud and water can not get trapped) you should be ok.
On my trailer boat the only area I had concern was the turnbuckle. So I got a short piece of thin walled pvc tube and slipped it over the turnbuckle. Never a problem.
What part of the shroud is the sail rubbing against that causes concern?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
One caution about using oversized covers - if they are the wrong size they slide down over the swage fittings and trap water there. This leaves the swages (probably the most corrosion vulnerable and hardest to inspect part of the rig) sitting in moisture all the time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your correct David, solved that problem by filing 3 notches in the bottom of the pvc. Weep holes for water to drain onto deck. On real thin stuff you might be able to use a hole punch in the same manner.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
When my rigger R&R'd my standing rigging a few years ago he noted his concern that covered turnbuckles and fittings can hide real problems - he asked if he could 86 the fancy Al covers. I tape the snaggy bits with rigging tape.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I've had the same experience with the shroud covers: The wire was covered in green wetness on removal. Toss them, a wire won't snag sails (or hands) unless there is damage to it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have short pvc tubes over the bottom of my shrouds and turnbuckles. They are oversized and certainly let water out (they are open at the bottom). Spiders like to hang out in there, but a blast of water down the tube when I am scrubbing the deck blows them out. I have not noticed any green stuff or corrosion.

IMG_9576.jpeg

Greg

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I've owned a Hobie cat and a 14 foot double ended sailboat but this O'Day 28 is the first real sailboat I've owned. My first few sails revealed the knots used to tie the sheets to the genoa were hanging up on the shrouds when I tack. I tried to solve this by splicing eyes in the sheet and using dyneema shackles, which I've been using for 2 years now. That's why I tried the vinyl covers, not for chafe prevention as much as for easing the slide across by the sail while tacking. The thought about corrosion just happened to occur recently but I think I'll leave the covers on for the season and see what I find when I pull the boat this fall.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Is that the PC technical term for the bent over ends of the cotter pins? I thought they were meat hooks?
yeah, the cotter pins. Put a band of rigging tape around the turnbuckle opening where the cotter pins are located.

May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
I used vinyl tubing, my gear rusted. Bad experiment. Rigging tape is best.