Video for new sailors (or not ;) )

Mar 20, 2013
Catalina 16.5 Sparks Marina
"Savvy sailor" is a long way down the road for this old desert rat but I'm learning (on SF Bay) that my boats run near hull speed with both reefs in and me and my crew are in better shape at the end of the day. Their faces look a little less stressed during the day too.
I'm still looking for the best way to run downwind. If I get too deep in a broad reach there is risk of jibing as the boat rolls. I'm not too keen on preventers so I'm coming to the conclusion that a reefed jib might be best.
I'm also looking for a better way to run jacklines. The usual "down each side of the deck" is a good way to get keelhauled with a six foot tether. There's some good discussion of that on Morgan's Cloud. Right now I keep extra, single tethers on the jacklines so I can move around easier and/or be clipped in two places.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
When I brought my boat to the Chesapeake from Ft. Lauderdale in June 2008, I rode the Gulf Steam north. We were about 110NM due east of Jacksonville according to my charts.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
uncleDom, if they really were in the stream, then they are foolish.

Most folks would cross well before Hatteras, or do the ditch route, but I know some go outside once past NC to save time, and due to shoaling in the ICW, but they should be inside the GS. Going that far off near JAX/St Augustine doesn't make any sense to me..