via the Octopus Islands to Desolation Sound?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
One could spend a life time in PNW waters and just scratch the surface. Extraordinary country. We have to remind ourselves how fortunate to spend this time on the water in a life of leisure when so many will never understand what they have missed. As Donald Rumsfeld once said, "we don't know what we don't know." Unrelated but a classic.
You've got that right Terry. I've been sailing the coast for more than 60 years and only covered a fraction of it. B.C. coast is over 37000Km of shoreline.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah--we met a sailing couple a good while back in Nanaimo at that "famous" book/chart store which I heard has closed; who told us then that they had been coming to the PNW every summer for the past 20 yr; and still there remained so much they wished to see.

Jan 5, 2017
Yeah--we met a sailing couple a good while back in Nanaimo at that "famous" book/chart store which I heard has closed; who told us then that they had been coming to the PNW every summer for the past 20 yr; and still there remained so much they wished to see.
Sounds like you've been coming for a few years too! This summer will be our first time past Bella Bella, first to Haida Gwaii and second time around Vancouver Island but NOT in 2 weeks. Current plan is mid-April to mid Sept. Just been practising for the last 60 years.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sounds like you've been coming for a few years too! This summer will be our first time past Bella Bella, first to Haida Gwaii and second time around Vancouver Island but NOT in 2 weeks. Current plan is mid-April to mid Sept. Just been practising for the last 60 years.
Small in comparison, but immense in reality, we've been cruising around the San Juan Islands for years and I'm always able to find some new place that we've never been before. Ditto the Gulf Islands, Discovery Islands...

Our original plan in 2015, a search of Spirit Bear, included a circumnavigation of Princess Royal Island. Our late start reduced the amount of cruise time that we had, so we decided on Bay of Plenty instead. No luck, but what an experience. First time to Ocean Falls, too. Could have spent several days there, but we were headed for home at that point. Must do Haida Gwaii at some point, but not this year. Other family commitments will limit us to the Gulf Islands; darn.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Did you go further up Dean Channel before turning for home? Once I got that far I had to see where MacKenzie wrote on the wall!
IMGP0269.jpeg "Alex MacKenzie"
From Canada
By Land
22 July 1793

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Terry
Did you go further up Dean Channel before turning for home? Once I got that far I had to see where MacKenzie wrote on the wall!
View attachment 133790 "Alex MacKenzie"
From Canada
By Land
22 July 1793
Hi Michael, darn, would like to have seen that, but no we went through Fisher Channel to Cousins Inlet on our way to Ocean Falls.