via the Octopus Islands to Desolation Sound?

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
The kayaker might be at Beazley rock in the upper rapids? looks more like a scene from Skookumchuck rapids. If you're going Surge narrows, you might want to look at going through Beazley passage, it's quicker and safer, you just have to look out for Tusko rock on your stbd. side at the north end. And yes, you would be wise to go through Hole in the wall as close to slack water as possible. Hopefully you will have radar as August may have some fog. And have yourselves a wonderful adventure!!!:)

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
If you're going Surge narrows, you might want to look at going through Beazley passage, it's quicker and safer,
Now I am confused. I thought Surge Narrows was synonymous with Beasley Passage? Local knowledge, please help me out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a wonderful country, when a guy in Southern California can provide clarity to us in the Pacific Northwest. Makes me wonder how Vancouver survived back in the age of discovery charting this area. He sent long boats out with a crew and said go down the south side of the channel and come back the north side mapping all that you see. In this area it would be easy to get lost. We are more fortunate.

Oct 22, 2014
Tusko rock on your stbd. side at the north end
The rock comment is one of local knowledge. Rocks and shallows are a serious part of the territory up here. There are many things that have ruined a good cruise lurking in the waters. That's why I marvel at the stupidity of not keeping a lookout on deck. And considering the issue of fog... You could be not able to see the bow, come around the corner of an islet and be in beautiful blue sky and sunshine. Then again you could be tied up for a couple of days sipping coffee in the salon.
Here is one of those "brave/stupid" souls with a boat... Dec 16, 2016

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Thanks John, been through the Okisollo Rapids a number of times at slack water. Had no idea they got like that. Just a few of miles past the Octopus Islands.
Mike

Oct 22, 2014
Looks like it can get a bit sporty. The information warns that riding the wave is not for novice kayakers.

We have a tight passage, Deception Passage, that has limited room and 7-8 knts at times. Tried it about 30 minutes behind my desired time and got to the narrow under the bridge in my friends boat. WOT. We got no further. Had to turn around and wait for a more favorable time.

This water in your country looks even more wild. Can not wait to explore.

Jan 5, 2017
I've been through Deception Pass a couple of times. The ones I haven't tried yet are Nakakto and Skookumchuck. I'm a little intimidated by the 18knot+ currents there. Some of these others ( 8-10) are not so bad.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've been through Deception Pass a couple of times.
I was just reading about Deception Pass over this last weekend in Raban's "Passage to Juneau." I'll probably get to read about our present subject as well, later in the book. Good mixture of Vancouver's and his crew's accounts of the PNW, and what Raban is reporting along the way. Interesting approach to writing a travel book.:D

Jan 5, 2017
The rock comment is one of local knowledge. Rocks and shallows are a serious part of the territory up here. There are many things that have ruined a good cruise lurking in the waters. That's why I marvel at the stupidity of not keeping a lookout on deck. And considering the issue of fog... You could be not able to see the bow, come around the corner of an islet and be in beautiful blue sky and sunshine. Then again you could be tied up for a couple of days sipping coffee in the salon.
Here is one of those "brave/stupid" souls with a boat... Dec 16, 2016
Is not paying attention the same as NOT UNDER CONTROL there by giving you the right of way????? I think you have to blow your horn as well!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Thanks John, been through the Okisollo Rapids a number of times at slack water. Had no idea they got like that. Just a few of miles past the Octopus Islands.
Mike
This is when the plotter and app "tide tables" are helpful. They can also show currents at the "off slack" times helping the transit especially when running a series of rapids.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was just reading about Deception Pass over this last weekend in Raban's "Passage to Juneau." I'll probably get to read about our present subject as well, later in the book. Good mixture of Vancouver's and his crew's accounts of the PNW, and what Raban is reporting along the way. Interesting approach to writing a travel book.:D
Great book. I'll have to read it again now that I'm up here. More than just a travel book...:)

Oct 22, 2014
Raban's "Passage to Juneau."
Favorite book. A copy was given to me after I buried my Dad. It helped to move me towards buying my present boat and go exploring in the Pacific NW. Also enjoyed his book Coasting. Both are in my boat library.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
In all of our cruises north we usually followed the inland route via Yuculta (pronounced Ewclatis) Rapids. We've been through Surge Narrows and Okisollo, but more frequently used Cordero to Chancellor to Wellbore to Sunderland and stopped at Port Neville. These all some distance from Desolation.

Leaving Desolation heading north would include Cortez Island (Squirrel Cove) then follow Lewis Channel to Cordero. South route would include Johnstone Strait to Discovery Channel and into Georgia Strait primarily because of the prevailing northwest winds. Those winds can become quite brisk especially in the afternoon.

Very important to plan your passages after tide current study, because some of these have quite strong currents that can make for a speedy or a very slow run.

Two weeks to cover this distance does not sound like a fun cruise to me; one to two months, yes.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Two weeks to cover this distance does not sound like a fun cruise to me; one to two months, yes.
I'd love to spend two months in the PNW. Been to the Gulf Islands on three, week-long trips; went to Pender Harbour, Desolation Sound Park via Princess Louisa Inlet, and Quadra Island, even stopped at Horseshoe Bay, some years ago on a two-week charter out of Vancouver in a 6.5 kt boat (slow C&C 38 under power). I imagine there are many spots closer to Vancouver on the mainland side; e.g., Harmony Islands?, etc, to make for a shorter trip. The greater speed of the larger boat for this trip is what drives the optimism. But, as you say--there are some challenges. So maybe some reconsideration is in order.:doh: Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
One could spend a life time in PNW waters and just scratch the surface. Extraordinary country. We have to remind ourselves how fortunate to spend this time on the water in a life of leisure when so many will never understand what they have missed. As Donald Rumsfeld once said, "we don't know what we don't know." Unrelated but a classic.