via the Octopus Islands to Desolation Sound?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I just remembered that there are 3 Admirals aboard so that the itinerary may change at a moments notice. Planning is the best part but remember " the best laid plans of mice and men". You don't want to head home more tired then when you got here. Just enjoy!! You'll get to where you get... have fun ,it's all good!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Choose your dates and get the current tables out and see if it works. Long as you're into long hauls, leave False Creek early and make Sturts Bay on north end of Texada on Malaspina St. Then maybe octopus on second night depending on Surge Narrows....not my style, but might work for you. Transit Hole in the wall on last of the ebb and catch the flood going south if it works timewise..(I think I have that right)..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Choose your dates and get the current tables out and see if it works. Long as you're into long hauls, leave False Creek early and make Sturts Bay on north end of Texada on Malaspina St. Then maybe octopus on second night depending on Surge Narrows....not my style, but might work for you. Transit Hole in the wall on last of the ebb and catch the flood going south if it works timewise..(I think I have that right)..
Well, it's not so much that I'm "into" long hauls as it is that I'm accustomed to them; thus, they seem fairly routine. It's 70 n. mi. from Ventura Harbor to Long Beach; a trek I've made several times in the past few years. The courses are NW-SE, much like that in the strait between Vancouver and Quadra Island. And, I'm not normally in a sail boat that can reportedly make 9 kt STW. So it seems imminently "doable." However, we cannot depart Vancouver b/f 10:00 so the first day's run needs to be of moderate distance, such as the ca. 25 n.mi. to Smuggler Cove or Secret Cove. Afternoon slack water at Surge Narrows is predicted at 17:33 on day 2; but, it would be just pushing too hard to try to get through and go all of the way to Octopus Islands from Smuggler Cove; hence, our lay over at Heriot Bay. The next daylight slack would be at 11:30 the next morning. Plenty of time to rise and have to coffee and breakfast b/f getting underway again for the short trip to Octopus Islands.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
Going to Octopus Island from Surge you need to be there for slack or just at the start of the ebb as the current can be greater than 5 kts . Another spot that you could use to wait it out is sheer point 2 nm from Surge as in the summer Heriot gets filled unless your going to the dock.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Going to Octopus Island from Surge you need to be there for slack or just at the start of the ebb as the current can be greater than 5 kts . Another spot that you could use to wait it out is sheer point 2 nm from Surge as in the summer Heriot gets filled unless your going to the dock.
Can you anchor there?--single hook or med tie to shore?

Jan 5, 2017
The area behind Rebeca Spit is fairly large but can get crowded in the summer. There are lots of other protected spots in the general area just not as close to shopping or the pub.

Jan 5, 2017
Yes you can anchor. Shore is too far for stern tie unless shallow draft. Not in use at this location.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The area behind Rebeca Spit is fairly large but can get crowded in the summer. There are lots of other protected spots in the general area just not as close to shopping or the pub.
I anchored at Rebecca Spit the last time I was up there in the mid-1990's; I remember it being large, as you say, but with a lot of shallow area. So, it was hard to find a good spot; but, we did, eventually. Several other boats in there as well.

Jan 5, 2017
I don't think you'll find it's changed very much. A few more people ( boats ) but the Islands are the same.

Jan 5, 2017
Have you been to the Octopus Islands as well? It'll keep your attention getting into Wyatt(sp) Bay but lots of room to anchor there too. Nice hike up to a good swimming hole (lake) at the head of the bay

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Have you been to the Octopus Islands as well? It'll keep your attention getting into Wyatt(sp) Bay but lots of room to anchor there too. Nice hike up to a good swimming hole (lake) at the head of the bay
No; Heriot Bay and RS was our turn around point(s) on that trip. We had been spending time inside the actual DS Marine Park boundary; then went over there to refuel and get some stuff b/f returning to Vancouver.

Jan 5, 2017
Some new territory then. It gets better and better as you go north. A lot fewer people most places, farther from help if things go wrong. Hope the weather is good for you. I know you'll enjoy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great photo image.

But that sky looks dark. Was the storm coming or going and you are just waiting for the rainbow not another squall.

Jan 5, 2017
Why it's called the We(s)t Coast. It was sunny and warm for us last year! Still a nice anchorage.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It would be better to stop the first night at Smuggler Cove.
Secret Cove one mile north of Smuggler less busy that time of the year. Nice anchorage to the right just past the entrance. Stay clear of the rocks.

Oct 22, 2014
Nice Michael.
Still wandering through Internet pictures of the area. Came across this one with the tide moving....
near Quadra Island.
okisollo_PJS0650.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Great photo image.

But that sky looks dark. Was the storm coming or going and you are just waiting for the rainbow not another squall.
Actually, the boat was pointed towards shore and looking into dark trees. You can see a little bit of a beach just above the port kayak. Sorta looks like I turned the deck light on but I did not. Just some very unique lighting

Jan 5, 2017
Two great photos!!! I know where the rain was and would love to know where the kayaker was.

Oct 22, 2014
I looked up the image and it says "Surfing on the Okisollo Tidal wave". No idea where that is but it looks interesting and the kayaker looks to be having fun.