via the Octopus Islands to Desolation Sound?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Curious as to what you PNWers think of this route for a visit to the Desolation Sound area in August. Depart Vancouver to Pender Harbour, to Heriot Bay, thru Surge Narrows to Octopus Is; pass thru the Hole in the Wall to eventually East Redonda I area via Homfray Channel, then exit between Mary-Sarah Pts back toward Vancouver. Two weeks; 9-kt sail boat (i.e., top STW speed).
KG

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You look to cover a lot of beautiful water in the two weeks. At 9 knots you will be able to make the distance but may not find enough time to stop and smell the roses, Weather should be nice in August, lots of fellow boaters at that time. Flexibility with anchorages may be needed.
Have you a copy of the Waggoners Cruising Guide?
http://waggonerguide.com/free-download-of-the-2017-waggoner-cruising-guide/
PM Terry Cox or Mark Maulden . They can give you detailed response on the planned cruise

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
August eh. Maybe the snow will be gone by then. This winter just keeps on giving. Stu can attest to that.
Your cruising plan is certainly doable, especially if you are using a 9kt boat speed to calculate your day. In general, you can expect variable winds from the NW and with that sea state will be less than 3-6 ft. If you are sailing, there will be lots of long tacks, when in the Strait of Georgia. Otherwise the area you are in will provide you and your crew with lots of aerobic exercise when sailing and no wheres near 9 kt SOG. Obviously, you have to take currents into account at all times and also base your arrival at the 2 sets of narrows that you will transit giving upwards of 10kts+. I have had some great sailing in Malaspina Strait. However, that leg (Pender Hbr to Herriot) is especially lengthy if you are fighting the current (2-3kts) in the Strait. On your return, if you are coming down Homfray Channel I am not aware of any place to park on E Redonda. You may want to check out Prideaux Haven, a large anchorage. Take your bathing suit because it is purportedly to be the warmest ocean water north of Mexico. “Bathtub warm”, they say. Also have a look at keeping the Copeland Islands to starboard once you take the left turn at Sarah Point.
Your into some of the most beautiful cruising grounds in the world. Two weeks will give you a taste of what is there and will likely motivate you to return in the future. Take good notes. I will say that in August and with the currency exchange, you can expect lots of Canadians staying home and lots of American visiting Desolation, so be prepared for some company. Oh and did I mention stern tie.

Have fun.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Have you a copy of the Waggoners Cruising Guide?
PM Terry Cox or Mark Maulden. They can give you detailed response on the planned cruise.
Yeah, I've been looking at that--the latest version. It's a nice publication. Mostly interested at this point in the "Hole-in-the-Wall passage"-whether or not this is some kind of treacherous route--but, I have not yet read what Waggoners might have to say about it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
August eh. Maybe the snow will be gone by then. This winter just keeps on giving. Stu can attest to that.
Your cruising plan is certainly doable, especially if you are using a 9kt boat speed to calculate your day. In general, you can expect variable winds from the NW and with that sea state will be less than 3-6 ft. If you are sailing, there will be lots of long tacks, when in the Strait of Georgia. Otherwise the area you are in will provide you and your crew with lots of aerobic exercise when sailing and no wheres near 9 kt SOG. Obviously, you have to take currents into account at all times and also base your arrival at the 2 sets of narrows that you will transit giving upwards of 10kts+. I have had some great sailing in Malaspina Strait. However, that leg (Pender Hbr to Herriot) is especially lengthy if you are fighting the current (2-3kts) in the Strait. On your return, if you are coming down Homfray Channel I am not aware of any place to park on E Redonda. You may want to check out Prideaux Haven, a large anchorage. Take your bathing suit because it is purportedly to be the warmest ocean water north of Mexico. “Bathtub warm”, they say. Also have a look at keeping the Copeland Islands to starboard once you take the left turn at Sarah Point.
Your into some of the most beautiful cruising grounds in the world. Two weeks will give you a taste of what is there and will likely motivate you to return in the future. Take good notes. I will say that in August and with the currency exchange, you can expect lots of Canadians staying home and lots of American visiting Desolation, so be prepared for some company. Oh and did I mention stern tie.

Have fun.
Thanks. One idea is to make Octopus Islands Provincial Park by the 3rd night; spend most of the time gunk-holing up there in the DS area, then blow home.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I think that's pretty ambitious for two weeks. It will make for some VERY long days if you are going to make time to enjoy and explore some of the places you will see. Having said that, if you find places you really enjoy the others will wait for another year!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think that's pretty ambitious for two weeks. It will make for some VERY long days if you are going to make time to enjoy and explore some of the places you will see. Having said that, if you find places you really enjoy the others will wait for another year!
Three "skippers" aboard, including me (and three admirals:D).

Oct 22, 2014
KG
No personal experience yet.... But my explorations have given me this sense. It is all about timing. Fail to arrive on time or poorly plan your arrival and you will need to rethink the passage.
Here is an interesting look at the Hole in the Wall passage.

Jan 5, 2017
Surge Narrows and Hole-in-the-Wall are like most of the passes up there. Best taken at slack water which may not be very long. Watch you tide and current tables!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
KG
No personal experience yet.... But my explorations have given me this sense. It is all about timing. Fail to arrive on time or poorly plan your arrival and you will need to rethink the passage.
Here is an interesting look at the Hole in the Wall passage.

Great, thanks; yeah--that's about what I figured :yikes:. Looks wide enough, though. Have done Malibu Rapids and Dodd Narrows, previously.

Jan 5, 2017
Dodd and Malibu are very short. As you can see Hole in the Wall is much longer and can be very exciting even with the current. Let those swirls grab your keel and it will make everyone hold on with both hands.

Oct 22, 2014
You sailing that pretty Bavaria up the coast or planing to charter out of Vancouver?

Oct 22, 2014
It look to me like the video was taken from a charter boat with a bit of power, giving the visitors a thrill ride.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You sailing that pretty Bavaria up the coast or planing to charter out of Vancouver?
Charter out of Vancouver. I'd love to get the Bavaria up there, which is where it was first splashed in 2000; but, the wife is not enthusiastic about relocating the boat so far away at this time, even temporarily (e.g., two seasons). Maybe in another year or two; can only hope and :pray:.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Might have saved a couple of days by chartering out of Comox!?
Yeah--but, well, Vancouver is such a fun place to set out from. Can spend a couple of days just kicking about Granville Island and the park areas. Just a fun city, IMHO. I believe I was in Comox once to drop off a "passenger" to catch a plane back to the states. So long ago (mid-90's), cannot recall the details.

Jan 5, 2017
Yeah--but, well, Vancouver is such a fun place to set out from. Can spend a couple of days just kicking about Granville Island and the park areas. Just a fun city, IMHO. I believe I was in Comox once to drop off a "passenger" to catch a plane back to the states. So long ago (mid-90's), can recall the details.
I guess I'm spoiled having grown up there. Now I don't go unless I have to. ( boat show, hockey game)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
This is a very aggressive schedule with long days. I would do your fun stuff of Vancouver in Vancouver and then charter out of Comox..There rarely is a "blow home" in the strait. If you get hit with a qualicom with a wrong tide, you're going to get knocked around. Remember the tide directions change around Mittlenatch Is..You state top speed of 9knts through water..is that where you plan on operating the boat at while not sailing? Around here, you rarely sail when making a schedule.. What are the penalties of arriving back in Vancouver late?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This is a very aggressive schedule with long days. I would do your fun stuff of Vancouver in Vancouver and then charter out of Comox..There rarely is a "blow home" in the strait. If you get hit with a qualicom with a wrong tide, you're going to get knocked around. Remember the tide directions change around Mittlenatch Is..You state top speed of 9knts through water..is that where you plan on operating the boat at while not sailing? Around here, you rarely sail when making a schedule.. What are the penalties of arriving back in Vancouver late?
Yeah, looking at Google Earth, night 2 at Heriot Bay looks a bit much if going to Pender Harbour first. It would be better to stop the first night at Smuggler Cove. From there it's "only" 75 n.mi. or so to Heriot Bay. Figure 0600 departure @ 6 kt VMG makes 12.5-hr day, 7 makes 10.5-hr day, and 8 makes 9.5-hr day. The rest of the point-to-point distances are comparatively much shorter; the return could see more stops. One, may be two, long days out of 14? The last night (Howe Sound) would be only 12-15 n.mi. from False Creek with a 1000 return time. There would be no late return of more than, at worst, say 30 to 40 minutes.