VHF testing in PNW... No Seatow system here.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I am about to install a new VHF on the boat... to replace the old, static monster that I have used for years.

I'd like to know my installation was good. In San Diego Seatow maintained an automatic response system. There is nothing like that around Anacortes. There was a private system, but I am not sure it is working these days... I couldn't get a response from either the fixed or handheld, the last time I was right in the area... mid August.
https://microship.com/automated-marine-radio-check-vhf-28/

I guess about the only solution is to radio a local marine business and bother them for a few seconds...
Any other ideas? (beyond using an VSWR meter and assuming that low VSWR return equals success...)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you want to know if you are getting out give the hand held to a friend ashore and call using your new radio on a non working channel like 68 or 69. I did it on the boat when I want to check. All it takes is keying the hand held while the boat radio is on. You here the click and you know it is working. If you want to know if you are getting any distance, call a friend or a marina you know the distance on say 66a. I called Port Ludlow from the bottom Possession Sound and was surprised to get a response. They were rumored to have an automatic radio check system. It was not working when I called last year, but the marina office responded.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
If you want to know if you are getting out give the hand held to a friend ashore and call using your new radio on a non working channel like 68 or 69. I did it on the boat when I want to check. All it takes is keying the hand held while the boat radio is on. You here the click and you know it is working. If you want to know if you are getting any distance, call a friend or a marina you know the distance on say 66a. I called Port Ludlow from the bottom Possession Sound and was surprised to get a response. They were rumored to have an automatic radio check system. It was not working when I called last year, but the marina office responded.
Yeah, that's what I figured... go bug a local business or marina... OK, will do. As an aside, I'm thinking of taking the old radio home, and setting it up just as a listening station... might be interesting.

Oct 22, 2014
Living in Anacortes near the water I can understand. Just be careful. It is not lawful to operate (make calls from) a VHF radio from shore without a license. The FCC frowns on shore to ship communications with out getting their 30 pieces of eight.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Down here in socal, we do have an automated system. But I have no idea if anybody uses it. At least 2-3 times each day during a weekend sail, I'll hear "radio check" on ch16. Then the coast guard comes on and tells em to not conduct radio checks on ch16, use 9 or 27 (the automated one) instead.

Thus, ironically enough, the utterly incorrect "radio check" on 16 seems to be a great way to see if the coast guard can hear you and always get a response.

I am absolutely in no way advocating for this. Just pointing out how often it happens and the irony involved. Don't check on 16.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Seems to me I read this summer (Boat US magazine?) you now CAN used marine VHF ashore as long as it is marine related. Marinas and restaurants have been doing this for years. Seem like radio checks would be doable? Maybe someone has other details>

Oct 22, 2014
From the website of Homeland Security:
Radio Checks
Radio checks with the Coast Guard Communications Stations on DSC and HF radiotelephone are allowed.​

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Radio License Information
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment. A license is necessary however for any vessel required to carry a marine radio, on an international voyage, or carrying an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal. FCC license forms, including applications for ship and land station radio licenses, can now be downloaded from the FCC website.​

Oct 22, 2014
More interesting trivia..
Using Hand-Held Marine VHF Radios on Land
You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, in addition to a ship station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient. You may apply for this license by filing FCC Forms 159 and 601 with the FCC. To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations. Each unit must be capable of operation while being hand-carried by an individual. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a ship, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.​
Prohibited Communications
YOU MUST NOT TRANSMIT --

• False distress or emergency messages.
  • Messages containing obscene, indecent, or profane words or meaning.
  • General calls, signals, or messages on channel 16, except in an emergency or if you are testing your radio (these are messages not addressed to a particular station), or
  • When your ship is on land (for example, while the ship is on a trailer).

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
On the Eastcoast of the U.S. in Southern New England, the automated radio check is obtained through VHF Channel 27.

The non-automated system can be accessed by the "old way" -- i.e., "This is vessel requesting radio check." You'll probably get an answer of some sort if there is intelligent, friendly life out there -- or your radio is working.

If you're using a handheld, your range is pretty limited. Your fixed station with an antenna at the masthead should get someone.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
On the Eastcoast of the U.S. in Southern New England, the automated radio check is obtained through VHF Channel 27.
Not so. From the BoatUS website:
  1. Automated Radio Check Service uses one of VHF Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84. Simply tune your radio to the proper channel for your community.
  2. Conduct a radio check as you normally would.
  3. Upon releasing the mic, the system will replay your transmission, letting you hear how you sound.
They have an interactive map that shows what channel for what area.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
You are in a marina. Call the marina. I am sure they won't mind.
I did that earlier... not really much of range test though... even a bad handheld will reach that distance.

I think what I need to do, as jssailem mentioned above, is go out and call a station that I know is distant... and maybe work my way closer if I don't get a response. The nice thing about the repeaters is that you get to hear the quality of your outgoing signal... which when I was in SoCal, taught me to move away from the mic a bit.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Do you have AIS? If so, you can see the distance to ships, and hail them by name for a radio check.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Do you have AIS? If so, you can see the distance to ships, and hail them by name for a radio check.
Hey, good idea... yeah, the new VHF has AIS. OK I'll give that a shot.

So I have a couple of ideas... hail a distant marina, hail a distant ship. And of course just hail my marina to see if I get out at all. (really, the office is maybe 200 yards away... not much of a test... GRIN)

Thanks folks... Fair winds.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Maximum range with an antenna on your mast is about 20 miles at 25 Watts. Most fixed radios are 25 Watts. Handhelds vary, 3, 4, 5W.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Any other ideas? (beyond using an VSWR meter and assuming that low VSWR return equals success...)
You are within striking distance of Victoria Coast Guard Radio. Hail them on channel 83A in the US mode and they will gladly respond to a Radio Check. That will certainly give you distance you're looking for.