VHF radio nostalgia.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
At 5 am in Tenants Harbor, I turned the weather radio on, for nostalgia. We relied on it for so many years that the unique background sound in the cabin is soothing.

Before the computer voice got to the forecast for my area, I had NOAA’s hourly wind strength/direction predictions and a complete analysis of the days weather pattern, on my iPhone.

These days, we usually have a strong cellular signal in our sailing grounds.

A glance at the tide charts on my nav. app let me know the hourly tide predictions, current direction and strength, that I’d have to buck at various points, heading up the bay.

On the VHF radio weather channel, I finally heard: “Penobscot Bay - Monday - Southwest 5 to 15 with gusts to 20,…High Tide at Bar Harbor at,….”

I like the extra weather data I receive from NOAA’s online forecast, today. But the VHF is primarily a communication tool on the boat for us. Or at least, it used to be.

Two days earlier, we followed our sons boat as it disappeared through a curtain of fog outside our harbor, and soon lost sight of each other(neither boat has radar). Our plans were to rendezvous at Dix Island for the night. We could have kept in touch via VHF radio. Except, our sons boat doesn’t have a VHF radio.

He had two friends onboard his boat(and his hands full). Curious how he was getting on - somewhere in the fog, I texted him this: “Are you sailing?”

My screen blooped with young Tom’s reply: “yup”

Hoping to get him interested in some simple piloting, I quickly pulled a bearing and distance off a well marked ledge on my iphone, and texted him this info:
We’re 0.3 NM off Porterfields Ledge, on a bearing of 214 degrees. Where are you?

No response,…

I texted again: “Where R U?”

My phone blooped as he sent me (impatiently, I sensed,...) a screen shot of his boats location on his phones nav. app.

TT's screen shot. .png

I hadn’t thought of that. I could see exactly where he was. I guess I got the lesson.

The wind died and as we furled sails and got under way by motor we discussed alternatives to Dix Island (neither of us wanted to motor there in the fog).

Mary Jane texted her brother: “Nix Dix”

Funny. I tried to imagine hearing that on the VHF. Nah, it only works in text.

I can't remember our last boat to boat VHF conversation, but I remember our VHF days, fondly(even fixing them).

VHF repair2.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I fondly remember listening to the notice to mariners each morning with my dad when I was a kid. I guess that still could be done, but like you said, with the internet and cell phones there's really no reason to schedule around the CG's broadcast patterns anymore.

Oh, and if you both have iPhones, just use "find my friends" to share your location. Sending screenshots of maps is so archaic. ;)

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We could have kept in touch via VHF radio. Except, our sons boat doesn’t have a VHF radio.

I can't remember our last boat to boat VHF conversation, but I remember our VHF days, fondly(even fixing them).
I thought it was a requirement that boats have a VHF radio. If for no other reason, safety. I wont ask about a bell, horn, life jackets, etc...

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I thought it was a requirement that boats have a VHF radio. If for no other reason, safety. I wont ask about a bell, horn, life jackets, etc...
Nope, no requirement to have a VHF, however, if you do have one, you must have it on...

VHF of course is "highly recommended."

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Nope, no requirement to have a VHF, however, if you do have one, you must have it on... ."
Just shooting off the top of my head, but IIRC, you do NOT have to have it on, but if you do, it must be monitoring ch16,

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Tom, what do the pink bird images on that chart mean? never seen that

May 25, 2012
in sturgeon bay all boaters need VHS as the only way to open the bridges is to call them on 16. then switch to ch 12

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The first VHF I bought required crystals to be installed by a licensed radio technician. Those new fangled digital VHFs were just too darn expensive and unreliable.

And then there was LORAN C. A great boon to navigation.

My current VHF has a gps, AIS receiver, hailer, remote mic, auto fog horn signals and who knows what else.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom, what do the pink bird images on that chart mean? never seen that
Jon, I'm not sure what those birds mean on the Navionics App. Maybe somebody else does?

You remind me, the last time I used my VHF to make a call, was about 4 years ago in the Annisquam Canal(Mass.). I had to open a bridge.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I wonder how many bars at Roque Island?
I don't know, Rick. But the cellular reception has increased dramatically in just a few years on Penobscot Bay. I think the trend, driven by a lucrative market, is to increase reception up and down the coast.

My first cell phone, which I had for business, was about the size of a small tool box. For years, cell phone reception was so spotty around here, we locals referred to our area as Radio Free Camden.

I'm afraid VHF as communication is dwindling around here, for lack of use. Fisherman still use it but I suspect a whole new generation on fishing boats (and on the water in general), will be using pocket devices to communicate.

May 25, 2012
back in the day we had to get an annual license and use your call number when using the VHS. my was 'WZN4953' . funny what one remembers after all these years.

May 25, 2012
i'm thinking VHS will continue. you do not need a phone number to call another vessel. in a distress you can broadcast to all. well to all the old school skippers that turn the radio on anyway. :)
like me.
in reduced visablity i like to broadcast security calls as to my position and my intentions.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
i'm thinking VHS will continue. you do not need a phone number to call another vessel. in a distress you can broadcast to all. well to all the old school skippers that turn the radio on anyway. :)
like me.
in reduced visablity i like to broadcast security calls as to my position and my intentions.
I'm not advocating the demise of VHF use, Jon. I agree with what you say. I'm just reporting what I hear in my sailing area. Every sailing ground will differ.

I've used VHF less and less to hail other recreational vessels as I too often get no response. It's very rare I call another vessel, they're mostly friends. It's wasn't unusual a few years ago, to go close enough so they could see you holding the VHF mic. Then they get it and head below "oh yeah, turn on the radio".

And as far as securite' calls, I've cut my own back. In the fog, we stay out of traffic areas(we're lucky, we don't usually have to go), which are often full of securite' calls that are confusing. But I do listen to other calls to get a sense if anyone is nearby. However, I've forgotten to turn the VHF on myself, lately.

We used to listen to CG VHF drama with vessels in distress. It was a regular thing on the water. Now one of the first things the CG asks is, "do you have a cell phone onboard?"

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Just shooting off the top of my head, but IIRC, you do NOT have to have it on, but if you do, it must be monitoring ch16,
"Watchkeeping Regulations:
In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.

Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.18, 52.244"

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.

Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.18, 52.244"
Good information to know. All of our local bridges are on CH 9 and that is what my radio is used for mostly. When we go to club events, they usually publish a channel for contacting the race committee, or cruising host. I don't think I have ever listened to CH 16 on purpose, but I believe my primary (hardwired) VHF is set to continually monitor it. However, most days I just use my handheld. I'll have to see if it has a monitoring setting for CH16

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In general,
"
The "in general" is the key. Like, "in general", if you have a fixed mount radio but would not be able to hear it in the cockpit anyway, "in general" it would do nothing but wear down the battery. Generally speaking, of course.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Illuminate Don... Common Sense is one of the "lost senses".