Vetus nlp 40 muffler assembly

Jan 5, 2013
alberg 29 waupoos
I split the 2 halves of my vetus waterlock muffler last fall to do some engine work (draincock replacement) and now can't get it to stop leaking at the seam. The clamp that holds the muffler together is made of 2 matching semi-circles of plastic with a captive nut/screw at each joint. Am I suppose to tighten the clamp until the ends of the clamp touch? - it looks like that is the case, but I have been reluctant to tighten that much for fear of breaking the plastic.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I assume (yea there is that word again) that the seam has a seal? make sure the rubber seal is in place all around the seam. There should be a uniform gap along the seam.
With that said, if it leaks it is not much good so you really are up the creek without a paddle till you break something or fix it.
good luck

Jan 5, 2013
alberg 29 waupoos
ah - that's the rub - there is /was no seal or gasket. Just the lips of the 2 halves of the muffler body mating together - with the plastic clamp to bring them together for a seal.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
well as long as the seam is uniform all along its length then I'm thinking keep tightening. Course I'm not providing a warranty so .......

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Buggers are pretty expensive.. ya might want to try some silicone seal in the joint before assembly.. then tighten ..