Vetus Airvent Revisited

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
The Yanmar 3YM30 in our h36 has a Vetus AIRVENT H as the siphon break. Vetus says the H version always discharges water out of the attached plastic tubing when the engine is running, but I have never seen that happen. I assume the H model has a very small "always open" vent hole while the V version has a small "joker valve". Maybe H means 'hole'? The Vetus catalog and manual show the V version w/o the attached hose, and is maintenance free, but maybe Hunter put a short hose on the H model anyway? Both H and V versions look identical.

The archives show others had no water for years then suddenly had water spitting out of the vent tubing in the same model boat but no resolution was posted that I could find.

Is there any way to tell which model it is w/o taking it a part? How can I check it for proper operation? Blow or suck on the open end of the tubing? SBO shows maintenance kits for the V version from vetus manual, but other vetus info shows its a maintenance free valve. And they don't say the H version is maintenance free.
Thanks for any ideas or insight! Dan

Attachments