Vetting Yacht Club Members

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
In my yacht club, an issue was raised and I'd like your feedback if you belong to a club -- Do you 'vet' or qualify your new members somehow, and why?

Our club no longer interviews or asks many questions when someone wants to join, and do not even ask for a 'sponsor' like the old days. We're actively seeking new members as boating with larger, docked boats declines in our area. We have had no problems with new members being unruly. We've had to throw out very few people over the decades, usually for being drunk and unruly, stealing from the bar till, etc. What's your experience with bringing new folks into clubs?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We do not and in the 37 years that I have been associated with our club, I can only recall one occasion when we had to remove a member from the ranks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the past our club did not vet anyone, if the check cleared, then you were in. The club was located in a prime location for viewing an outstanding annual fireworks display and our social membership was pretty cheap. We ended up with members who were only members for that one night. This caused a few issues and membership requirements were tightened a little bit, new members had to have 2 existing members sponsor them and the check had to clear.

Our club does not have its own docks. Over time as the ranks the sailors have declined membership changed and it is now a more social club than a sailing club. Managing the interests of the two groups, sailors and social members can be a challenge for the leadership.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I would imagine over the years legal issues have arisen on some vetting processes. Happened to a club I belonged to many years ago. A divorce started the ball rolling.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
stealing from the bar till, etc.
You have a bar??:p
Like JRacer says, our club gets along great. We have requirements like insurance, and acceptance of the club rules, but nothing like a sponsor or background check.
Maybe because we're all sailors and not power boaters. ;) I say that with some fun, but I do notice that when the stinkpots are in the cove they feel the need to crank up their sound systems for everyone to hear.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Yes, JRacer....but they let me back in....your membership should be perpetual because of the great full-moon
sailing music....Brian Wilson perhaps.....Patrick

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, JRacer....but they let me back in....your membership should be perpetual because of the great full-moon
sailing music....Brian Wilson perhaps.....Patrick
One always slips thru the system :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, I'm sure you recall the situation. And, it happened in one of the years I was Commodore! Not a pleasant deal at all for all concerned.
I was referring to Patrick ;) , but yep, I remember the incident. You handled it well. I don't think vetting would have helped.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
WYC does not vet. While we own our own docks and building that are available to all members 24x7x52, we have no social memberships. We're all sailors, and you pretty much HAVE to race. We're kinda scruffy, but it seems to attract the right kinda person.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The Yacht Club I belong to is military related. Any active duty, reservist, government employee, or retired service member may join (and some others I cannot remember). The fee is ridiculously low compared to the Yacht Club down the street. There are rules and also there is a sponsor requirement, but the requirement is never required. The rules are typical with the "in good standing" clause..

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
In my yacht club, an issue was raised and I'd like your feedback if you belong to a club -- Do you 'vet' or qualify your new members somehow, and why?

Our club no longer interviews or asks many questions when someone wants to join, and do not even ask for a 'sponsor' like the old days. We're actively seeking new members as boating with larger, docked boats declines in our area. We have had no problems with new members being unruly. We've had to throw out very few people over the decades, usually for being drunk and unruly, stealing from the bar till, etc. What's your experience with bringing new folks into clubs?
We don't belong to a club and their are a couple in our neighborhood. We considered joining each one over the years but we sail nearly every weekend and couldn't really find the time to join the cook outs and what not that usually happen on weekends. Most of the members are not active sailors.

But each club has a rule of getting a couple letters or something from members. I guess it's a 'I like the cut of this guys jib,...." sort of letter. That just turns me off.

Someday, when we're not sailing as actively, we'll join our local one. Hopefully I won't need someone to say,..."He's ok,..." :)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Our club does not vet. http://www.pgscweb.com For years we have been a racing club but as our membership has aged more and more are cruising (as fast as they can). Dues are very low and we use two different venues for meetings. We donate to various youth sailing organizations and sponsor or run several regattas. If we vetted members I probably wouldn't be admitted :biggrin: Also as our member's age, we have begun to allow members who have moved on to trawlers continue their membership.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Ours has a 10 year waiting list after being sponsored. If anyone wants to wait that long, their patience is beyond question.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My club is very laid back. They accept all comers, as long as they have an interest in sailing. The predominate membership is for Friday/Saturday racing through out the year. I joined because my friends were members and the dues were minimal. I’ve raced a few times and enjoyed a beer and brats event or two. One of these days I need to learn about the reciprocal arrangements they have with other clubs in the region.

Club membership rises and falls from time to time. One of the great parodies of such clubs are the Caddy Shack movies.

New members are needed. For some clubs it needs to be the “Right type of Person”, and vetting is a heavy burden.

Time is too short for me to wait 10 years on a list.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
What no vetting? What happens if you find out that someone groped someone at a drunken high school party? Heaven forbid!
Or even after being vetted by 6 other clubs. Would make you wonder about the latest vetting. :)