Vessel Finder APP

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Anyone out there use the Vessel Finder app? I have been using it for awhile and love so I signed up. For some reason I can't see my boat. ? Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not dumb and I don't know what that is. Is that dumb
It’s either part of your VHF radio or probably shares the VHF antenna. It sends your location to other boats with AIS receivers in your area. Some of these receivers post the data to the internet for apps like vessel finder or marine traffic to display.

On a 22 I wouldn’t think you have it. Vessel finder may allow you to send th data using the internet — don’t really know.

Les

Mar 2, 2018
So I think I have it on my boats VHF radio but don't know how to connect it to vessel finder

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Wait a minute here, nobody makes a VHF radio that transmits AIS data. Standard Horizon tried but had some issues.
Info on AIS here..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system

Vessel finder is a web service that ties into the land based stations that capture AIS data from vessels so equipped. Your vessel will not show up unless you have an AIS transponder aboard.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I thought some internet AIS sites had a network method of updating their site.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Sorry didnt know the gx6500 was pulled.
I can't wait for them to bring it, or something similar, to market. Apparently the firm that makes the AIS component that Standard was going to use, changed their contractual agreement with Standard and some other issues arose that prevented them from going forward. The GX6000 which is the receive only AIS is still $500. You can buy a pretty reliable class B transponder from numerous vendors for that kinda $$.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The reason you can't see your boat on this internet based AIS app is because you don't have your locator icon turned on. There should be one somewhere on the screen, or in "settings", that will let you activate your location. It has nothing to do with your vhf radio... The visibility feature should be very easly to access. Most ais apps will have it right on the display. You must also have your mmsi number entered.

Remember, these apps only work with an inet connection. So... unless other vessels are monitoring an internet AIS service... they can't see you.
I have BOAT BEACON on my devices.... the locator button is the little ship in lower left corner.

Mar 2, 2018
I found the MMSI # on my hand held radio. Is that what I need? So now how do you register it with Vessel Finder

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you have an mmsi number, it is already registered. It's unique to the boat and carries a packet of information that you can create or edit in the app's settings section.
So... it's just a matter of finding the "settings" icon on your app's display, then look for the section concerning boat information.
On the boat beacon app above, the gear icon on lower right corner of display is for settings. Once opened the heading "boat details" will take you to the right place.

I took a look at the "vessel finder" app on its website (sorry but it seemed lacking compared to the two below)... and I must say that you might be happier with "boat beacon" or "Ship Finder". The full app is only $9.95 and works flawlessly.

Mar 2, 2018
Vessel finder wanted 99.95 for the additional AIS feature ! I just purchased Boat Beacon . thanks