Registered users don't see ads

Vertical Windlass Install

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by Ron Allen, Nov 16, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Ron Allen

Ron Allen

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    19 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    S/V Chinook US Cape Coral,Fl Cape Coral Fl
    Does anyone have information on how to install a vertical windlass on a 1989 Catalina 30?I have seen some where the anchor locker is cut but no details were included. Thanks All

2. Bob Mc

Bob Mc

Joined Apr 7, 2012
    33 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 28
    US Worton Creek, MD
    Ron, here's a pdf of how it was done on a Catalina 28. I hope it helps get you going in the right direction.
    Bob
    C-28+Windlass+Install-3.pdf

Attached Files:

3. BillyK

BillyK

Joined Jan 24, 2010
    334 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30MKII
    US Ocean City, NJ
    why go vertical rather than the horizontal install the way the anchor locker is designed to be?

4. Bob Mc

Bob Mc

Joined Apr 7, 2012
    33 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 28
    US Worton Creek, MD
    BillyK, I would definitely go horizontal too. I have this saved to think about the install and beefing up the anchor locker lid if I decided to put a windless on my Catalina 28 (and he did ask about vertical).
    Bob

5. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,521 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I have also been thinking about a windlass for my 1983 Hunter 31. It looks like there are similar issues to yours. I was thinking of mounting a horizontal one with a welded/bent aluminum frame below the deck, and cutting out an oval on the forward edge of the hatch for a clear chain rode entrance. I would have to add a small piece of stainless sheet to the bow to protect the deck from the chain, as it drags across.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.