Vertical Windlass Install

Jun 27, 2005
Catalina 30 Cape Coral Fl
Does anyone have information on how to install a vertical windlass on a 1989 Catalina 30?I have seen some where the anchor locker is cut but no details were included. Thanks All

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
why go vertical rather than the horizontal install the way the anchor locker is designed to be?

Bob Mc

Apr 7, 2012
Catalina 28 Worton Creek, MD
why go vertical rather than the horizontal install the way the anchor locker is designed to be?
BillyK, I would definitely go horizontal too. I have this saved to think about the install and beefing up the anchor locker lid if I decided to put a windless on my Catalina 28 (and he did ask about vertical).
Bob

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have also been thinking about a windlass for my 1983 Hunter 31. It looks like there are similar issues to yours. I was thinking of mounting a horizontal one with a welded/bent aluminum frame below the deck, and cutting out an oval on the forward edge of the hatch for a clear chain rode entrance. I would have to add a small piece of stainless sheet to the bow to protect the deck from the chain, as it drags across.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I finally got around to taking a picture of the anchor locker. What do you think of a vertical windlass like this:

Windlass 700.jpg
mounted towards the front of the locker extending through the hatch.

2018-04-07 17.02.36.jpg

If I have it mounted so that it protrude through the hatch, and I remove the board that is crossing from side to side, it should allow the chain to drop into the deepest part of the locker. I would need to move or abandon the below deck cleat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@pateco Chip the chain strips going forward. It makes a 180 around the windlass gypsy. So you might want to build it into the locker on back side not the front. I would look at a few installs in your marina to get an idea what others have done.
I understand that if you can install the motor in a dry space you will have less corrosion over the years. I am looking at positioning my windlass with the motor over the V berth behind the hatch to the anchor locker.
The chain drop will be in the anchor locker in front of the bulkhead into the anchor locker.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I would use a horizontal windlass. The large outcropping in the starboard aft locker I believe was designed for the installation. The walls are extremely thick, about 1in.. While I don't have a windlass, I opened up the top for an inspection port and put a large cleat in there to fasten the anchor line. The walls are about as thick as the deck.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco Chip the chain strips going forward. It makes a 180 around the windlass gypsy. So you might want to build it into the locker on back side not the front. I would look at a few installs in your marina to get an idea what others have done.
I understand that if you can install the motor in a dry space you will have less corrosion over the years. I am looking at positioning my windlass with the motor over the V berth behind the hatch to the anchor locker.
The chain drop will be in the anchor locker in front of the bulkhead into the anchor locker.
The problem with putting it at the rear, is that the chain/rode would have to cross the hatch on the way to the windlass, making it impossible to open the hatch and clear any jam while recovering the anchor. I suppose I could keep the hatch open for dropping and recovery activities. Additionally, I have no interior access to the anchor locker, and a smooth gelcoat headliner in the V-berth. Below is a picture of someone else's H31 V-berth to show the underside of the anchor locker.
Vberth example.jpg