Vented loop

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Just installed a Jabsco head , cleared out lines and replaced some . I removed the 25 yr. old Raritan PH II , it was still working but getting hard to turn the flush/dry dial also needing a sip of veg oil almost every day . I could have rebuilt it , but it was time for new .
Anyhow the reason for this post is I cleaned the the vented loophttps://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--marelon-vented-loop-1-hose-barb-7-h-x-9-w--P011_332_003_012?pCode=7363187&mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3085587800&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%2520-%2520Product%2520Type-_-7363187&product_id=7363187&adpos=1o2&creative=108421552684&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OKmg-am3AIV0oZ-Ch1XNgJhEAQYAiABEgIDcfD_BwE also dissembled the vent and cleaned it , all went back together nice . Then later I noticed a rubber washer that had a clear plastic disk over the hole , outside where I was doing the cleaning . Was this washer part of my vented loops' joker valve ?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's most likely the gasket that seals the air valve in the top of the loop.

I can't really argue against replacing a 25 yr old PHII...that's about its max useful life. However, you could have replaced just the pump assembly for only about $50 more and still have a toilet that'll last another 20+ years if you keep it well lubricated (replacing the thick teflon grease that's in it when it leaves Raritan is a job that takes only about 15 minutes once a year) and put a rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Thanks for the reply Peggie , spacer/gasket that's what I thought too except for the plastic "cover" over the thru hole it would have not let air pass . Is there a exploded view drawing of the part ?
I really have to take issue myself , most times I'll see something like that little washer and just toss it because I don't know what it is .
I could have rebuilt the Raritan , maybe even customized it with a brass and teak flush handle like I had men't to do for the last 25yrs. I was just ready for something new , plus my wife with her arthritis was having a hard time turning the dial on the Raritan .

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yup...that little gizmo is the air valve. When installed in the toilet discharge line, it prevents squirting out the hole in the top of the loop. When installed in the intake, the loop has to be installed between the pump and bowl. 'Cuz if it's installed in the line between the thru-hull and the pump it interferes with the toilet's ability to prime.

I can't argue with your decision to replace the 25 yr old PHII...the inside of the pump cylinder has to be so worn and out of round by now that rebuilding wouldn't have helped it much. A new pump would have been a lot easier to flush as long as it's kept well lubricated. Plus it moves bowl contents twice the distance with half the pump strokes than a Jabsco can. However all is not lost 'cuz you'll prob'ly have to replace the Jabsco pump in about 2 years (Don't even think of rebuilding it...the kit costs about 85% the price of a new pump)...you'll have another opportunity then.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein