VC-17 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
We sail on Lake Ontario and use VC-17. I love this paint. It works great and is easy to apply. My question is how often should I reapply the product? I read in this issue of Good Old Boat that this type of paint should be good for one year in the water. As our sailing season is about 4 months I felt that every other year should be about right. I have been applying one coat every year. What do all of you Great Lakes sailors do? Dale

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Apply once a year - just before launch.

You cannot extend it beyond the annual launch and haul out. Once you have it on - get the boat in the water within 48 hours for maximum protection. You must be a racer if you insist on using VC17 on your hull. If you're a cruiser, there are much cheaper ways to keep the bottom clean on Lake Ontario. Only 4 months? On the other side of the lake we launch in late April and haul in early November - 6 months.

Feb 14, 2008
S2 7.3 Northern Lake MI
VC 17

I am a cruiser and use VC 17 as the PO used it so I continued use. I put it on annually. One coat seems to cover well. On spots where VC has warn off to gelcoat I'll put 2 to 3 coats (craddle pads always flake off VC). Sail on Lake Michigan and keep in water as long as possible - one year was able to launch early April and hauled out emid November and Vc held up well. Mike

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Two Years So Far

Couldn't tell the difference between first year and second year. I may try for a third year, but I'll re-apply a 3 inch wide area at the waterline as it's always the worst. I sail in Lake Erie and the boat is in the water from May until October. JerryA

Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
One year

You should re-paint yearly. I have heard of folks that go every other year with less than good results. It does not matter how long your season is. Once it has kicked off, away it goes, there is nothing left to fight those nasty little growths that occur in our waters. Do what you want, but I would apply VC-17, yearly.

Feb 5, 2008
CS CS30 Toronto
No need to launch within 48 hours

VC17 does not need to be launched within 48 hours of application (read the instruction). The best time to apply VC17 is annually in the fall after haulout and the bottom cleaned and fine sanded smooth. The fall weather is more predictable than the spring and usually dryer. You can't paint it before rain as humidity and rain will wash wet paint away. You will save considerable quantity if you paint it in colder temporature, colder the better as it won't freeze. VC17 is solvent (acetone) based and will evaporate fast in warm weather. I pour a very small amount into the paint tray just enough for a single roller each time. I can get by with 2 quarts (sometimes 3) for a 30 footer fined keel boat. By the way, they are usually cheaper in the fall.

K

KevinB

Some go 2 years

I am on Lake Ontario (boat is in the water 6 months but realistically the boat is only sailed less than 5 months) and put VC 17M on each year. There are guys at my club that skip a year and claim no difference in performance. I still get a lot of slim which is why I paint every year. But we can't get VC 17 Extra in Canada, which has Biolux, so you may be able to go two years with the Extra. Kevin

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
The US side

Jim -I am not sure about your side, but most of us on this side use the VC. I don't think it is that expensive my full keeled 34 gets covered with just a little over 2 cans and theat 3rd can is fine the next year. I figure I spend about $100, which, considering how easy the stuff is to maintain and apply, is well worth it.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
3 years at a minimum

I've used VC-17 for 16 + years on two boats with great results. I sail on a freshwater inland lake (Kansas). My first boat -- an O'Day 240 - came with VC-17 and I could get three years out of a bottom job -- but I took the boat out every November and refloated in March or April. Used VC-17 for 15+ years on that boat. Three years ago I bought an O'Day 302 and it came with some really nasty, thick, crusty bottom paint by the previous owner. I paid a small fortune ($1,500) to have the old paint sanded off down to the gelcoat and then put VC-17 on. After the first year in the water 100% of the year, it still looks good. Won't know for sure how it's held up until I get in the water to feel along the hull -- and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
Thanks

Thanks for all of your answers. I will recoat this year and then let it go next year and see what happens. Thanks again Dale

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
New price

I just went to West to buy next season's 2 qts. Wow. Only VC extra is available and it costs $55 a can. Fortunately I had a coupon with a $20 discount on purchases over $70 plus a rewards voucher for $10 so it brought the price down to reasonable. this is good stuff for us cold, fresh water sailors, but it is getting expensive. Perhaps they know how much we like their product?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Don't complain

Higgs, Before you complain too much check out the price on Petit Trinidad.:) I am going to have to spring for a couple gallons before long. Will have to grit my teeth when I pay for it. But at least it's good for three years in my waters.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Sanding

Nice: Will you have to sand before reapplying? We don't with 17 so I guess I should not bitch.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Not this time

Higgs, Thankfully won't have to sand and off this time. The boat came from New Jersey, and has an ablative on it, which is about gone. So any sanding will be fairly minimul. But the ablatives don't do real well here, so will go back with the Trinidad.

Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
Higgs

Higgs- Buy one(VC-17) for $55 and get the second quart for $34. 3-13--3-23 sale at WM. If you use VC original, look at WM FW-21 for $25/quart.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
As long as you can see it...

I've been using VC17 for almost 10 years now, in warm fresh water and high-fouling salt water. The paint is effective as long as you can see it. In my case it's lasted anywhere from six months to four years, depending on where and how long the boat was in the water. I would also agree that painting in the fall is better for all the reasons stated earlier. VC17 dries so fast that you can get two coats on a 30 ft hull in an afternoon. The paint does not lose its effectiveness out of the water. It may change color but it's still good. Ideally, the hull should be primed with VC Tar before applying VC17. It's not mandatory but I've found that VC Tar helps the paint adhere better and last longer. As the name suggestes, VC Tar is black, so as soon as the VC17 wears through you'll know. As mentioned, high wear areas include the three to four inch wide band around the waterline, also the leading edge of the rudder and keel and around the bow area. The best way to apply VC17 is to mix it in one of those large clear plastic ketchup bottles with the flip cap. Shaking it is easy. Squeeze the paint onto your roller or brush as you need it. The small opening keeps the paint in the bottle from drying. Close the cap and shake the paint occasionally to keep the copper powder in suspension. You can stop painting at any time, again by just flipping the cap closed. I've kept VC17 liquid for more than a year in the ketchup bottle. As long as the VC17 doesn't wear completely off (allowing bottom growth to start) you should not have to sand the hull in preparation for recoating. Pressure washing and a light wipe with paper towels or rags dampened with denatured alcohol should be enough. Good luck. Peter H23 "Raven"

Status
Not open for further replies.