Vanguard 15 mast step misery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2011
Vanguard Vanguard 15 New York
Hello All: I'm having a miserable time trying to step the mast on a Vanguard 15 even with another person helping. What a nasty balancing act, trying to position the vertical mast. I saw a video where ONE person EASILY stepped a mast on his JY14. Any opinions as to the feasibility of replacing the Vanguard 15 mast step with a JY14 step and, of course, somehow adapting the base of the V15's mast with the appropriate JY14 fitting? Any suggestions or comments welcome. I've posted here because I've heard that JY14 was or is same as Hunter 140. If I am mistaken, I beg everyone's pardon. Thanx ... Markus291

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
There are probably other easy ways to step/unstep a Hunter mast. See the thread at bottom for what works for me. If you run the same kind of line from toward the top of the mast through a pulley mounted on the front of your trailer mast rest support, stepping and unstepping is a piece of cake if the shrouds are all attached. The mast can't go anywhere except forward and aft while you hold the line that goes through the pulley.

When the mast is vertical, cleat the line off. Actually, you will want to give it an extra tug to make the top of the mast go briefly forward for ease of attaching the jib.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend that you purchase 4 Johnson quick releases that will give the shrouds some addition slack while you're attaching the jib. You should be able to find additional information about these at...

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=722449&highlight=johnson quick release

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=118258

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
BlueRunner's illustrated advice is the way to go. He gave me the idea for my setup. The mention about the Johnson quick release shroud adjusters is also excellent advice to follow.
That's the great thing about this site, good people, sharing knowledge.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I use to raise and lower the mast on my Hobie 16 all the time, single handed. I have watched the guys with Hobie 18 and Nacra 5.5, raise and lower their masts single handed too. They get pretty creative with rigs for raising and lowering. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Your Vanguard 15 isn't that much different than a Laser or JY. The sailing club has tons of those and 15 y/o's put those up.

I don't want you to think that I am saying something like "geeze even a 15 y/o can do it" I can tell you I have dropped my Hobie mast several times (never damaging a car, or passerby). I have seen others drop their masts and really break things (mast plates or masts themselves).

Stepping a mast is a REALLY awkward task. You are trying to focus on several things, most of which you can't reach as you are putting a mast up.

What exactly is the problem you are having? Maybe if you could put together a drawing or two, we could help you figure out where you are having issues.

To part of your original question, I wouldn't change to a different mast or sail plan. The expense of it doesn't make sense. Besides the mast, sails (main and jib will need to be smaller), and any of the standing rigging would have to be replaced.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good quetion but first let me suggest that you go the Dwyer Mast website to determine which mast step you have and then call them to see if it can be converted.

Most small boat masts use to come from them more particdulay now that many mast manufactueres are gone. I see Seldene is now in the small mast buisness.

crazy dave

Status
Not open for further replies.