Valiant 40 Blister Boat purchase

Nov 25, 2015
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md
Should I worry over lots o Blisters on a 1979 Valiant 40 that I am considering buying?
The Seller says,
"don't worry about them, as they are not affecting the structural integrity"
I have read a bunch of internet info on this subject.
Does anyone have a definitive answer to this age old question?
(apparently Valiant blisters are different than the "normal" type of blisters due to utilizing "bad resin material" in certain production years) Many say to "peel back" hull completely...really?, is this necessary? Won't the blisters still come back after a period of time?
and "Yes" this boat is being offered at a discounted price because blisters, some soft deck spots and other issues.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, I would probably have the hull peeled and laid up with vinylester and / or epoxy by a competent composite tradesman. Those boats have good bones. Done right, and maintained correctly you will be done with the issue. What are they offering by way of a discounted price?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
(apparently Valiant blisters are different than the "normal" type of blisters due to utilizing "bad resin material" in certain production years) Many say to "peel back" hull completely...really?, is this necessary? Won't the blisters still come back after a period of time?
and "Yes" this boat is being offered at a discounted price because blisters, some soft deck spots and other issues.
I'm a little confused by the "bad resin material" and how are the blisters different? The larger blisters need to be dissected to see how deep the damage is. If the damage is deep and into the underlying glass structure. With that said, for large areas the hull peeled and new glass and resin, along with a proper barrier coat.

The soft decks are also a concern. How extensive are the soft areas?

Valiant 40's have a good pedigree, if the price is right and you have enough money to pay for the repairs or enough time to do them, then this might be a good deal.

If you want to see what you might be getting into, take a look at Mads' YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The seller should have added the word "yet" to his claim "they don't affect the structural integrity". And probably the words" I hope" too.

This isn't a DIY project. The hull needs to first be peeled and then allowed to thoroughly dry for a prolonged period before any repair can begin. It's not just money but time and money should be factored into your purchase decision.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I guess it depends on the discounted price. Will that allow for the repair, and be near your purchase budget? Soft decks are a problem to, but the boat is 40 years old so you are going to find several problem areas.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A 40-foot boat in good condition can be a lot of maintenance if it is used a lot. Imagine the hidden problems this boat may have if it has been uncared for, for an extended period. It might be a year or more, depending on your finances, before you could take her sailing once you've begun work on her.
You didn't mention your intended use for this boat, and I imagine that would have some import to your decision to purchase a serious project boat. If this is the one on Yachtworld for 30k, from the pictures it appears there are a lot more problems than a bit of soft deck and the blisters on the bottom.
Perhaps your best bet, if you are really interested in this boat, is to find a very well qualified surveyor with a lot of experience surveying neglected boats, and have a survey done. Though he may not be able to find all the problems with this boat, he could probably give you a pretty good idea of the depth of the repairs necessary.
Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Should I worry over lots o Blisters on a 1979 Valiant 40
:plus: On what @capta says.
I bought a 1974 boat. I found one that was sound and at a price that allowed for it’s age. While it took me 4 months to get the engine reliable, and another 4 months to remove and refit the mast and all the wires and running rigging. Then when I took here out of the water to do the bottom and repair crash damage from a fishing boat doing 25 knots in the fog I found blisters....915EAD30-FDF6-4124-AAEE-FB7AA948568C.jpeg 3529A4FC-0358-4BA0-97CA-40CD11EC013F.jpeg
Fortunately while on the hard from January to end of March I was able to get them ground, filled, faired, and the bottom painted. Have owned the boat from Feb 2015, to today. I’ve sailed/motored her for 2200 nautical miles in the Pacific NW waters while completeing the repair projects and upgrades. It is a labor of love. I have invested over 3 times what I paid for her. Wouldn’t trade a moment of the experience for a motor home.

If you have to have her “peeled” that is going to be 6 months maybe longer in the yard. It is not just the work time but the wait and drying time needed to address a serious blister issue.

You have to decide is this what you want to do.

Nov 25, 2015
I guess for me the real question is, "What happens to "Valiant blisters" if nothing at all is done about them?"...can you just leave them be?...are they just a cosmetic issue to deal with, or will they in time affect the structural integrity?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
in time affect the structural integrity?
Yes.
Here are the links I used to help me with my decision.
  1. The most thorough info I found was from Dave Pascoe...Boat Hull Blisters : Failed Blister Repairs by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
  2. Practical Boat owner was helpful... DIY Osmosis Repair - Practical Boat Owner
  3. and the standard most read work... Gelcoat Blister Repair - BoatUS Magazine
West Systems produced a detailed "How to". https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/Gelcoat-Blisters-Diagnosis-Repair-and-Prevention.pdf
And archives of projects at https://epoxyworks.com/?s=blisters

These should get you started building the knowledge needed to address the issue and decide what will make you happy.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
As noted above:

That Valiant blisters were no better (and probably worse) than "normal" or incidental blisters in my opinion. (You can call Osmotech in Annapolis and speak with them. They were the original peeler in Annapolis from years ago.) The soft deck would worry me because the extent of the problem and solution is less determinant.

A Valiant with a "bad resin problem" is a long time from a problem discovered? It's been decades since that was discovered and appeared. Who was doing what and when to that boat since the 1980's?

I used to LUST over a Valiant 40 when they first came out. Over the years, I've come to realize that, while the design in the late 1970's was amazing as an round-the-world, ocean going boat for its time, I'm not sure it's a fun boat. The "value" proposition of time and money to invest for a project boat seem questionable to me.

Having said this...

TOliver:
  • What are you planning on doing with this boat?
  • Why do you like it?
  • What other options do you have?
  • What sort of crew do you have?
  • What does the investment of time and money mean to you?

Nov 25, 2015
Ok, I bailed on the V40 purchase.
Great reply comments here led me to speak with Marty @ Osmotech that SG rec'd.
He said "baloney" to the thought that unattended blisters are just a cosmetic issue.
So, no acne covered boat for me...however, this experience has made me fall in love with the Valiant 40 design...what a boat!
Maybe I can afford a V40 in good shape once the house is gone.
Thank you all for all your excellent responses.
This Forum Rocks!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There are several places, Trinidad, Grenada, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Panama, Honolulu, that I call ports of broken dreams. They are usually the end of rather long passages or cruises and the boat owners have come to the realization that the lifestyle is not for them. So, generally good, well-equipped boats are put on the market by people desperate for enough money to begin their lives ashore again. If you can catch one before it has sat too long, you can get a pretty good deal.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
toliver:

I have been following your thread since the beginning. Forum member responses have been consistent with my understanding about how to deal with serious blisters. Plus I've learned a few new considerations as I observed the discussion.

But my primary reason for jumping into the thread now ... even that you conveyed that you decided not to continue with the purchase ... is that you came back to inform us of your decision. Thank you!

Great to know that you took the responses on board.

Rather that many join the Forum to ask just one guestion. And then after members spend a considerable amount of time to post an expert response, the original poster disappears without any further acknowledgement or update or even a thank you.

Jul 20, 2015
hunter looking Harbor Town
I know of a v 40 that had blisters on the deck and I mean everywhere! They peeled it re gelcoated the deck. It blistered back with in 5 years. It’s the fire retardant that uniflite put in mold

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I know of a v 40 that had blisters on the deck and I mean everywhere! They peeled it re gelcoated the deck. It blistered back with in 5 years. It’s the fire retardant that uniflite put in mold
If it blistered on the deck, then indeed, it is not the typical blistering due to osmosis. Sounds like the fire retardant prevented the gelcoat from properly curing and adhering to the underlying glass. A little research shows that this is a known problem in early Valiants built by Uniflite in Washington. Here's one article that mentions it:

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_services/articles/blister.php

Nov 25, 2015
There are several places, Trinidad, Grenada, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Panama, Honolulu, that I call ports of broken dreams. They are usually the end of rather long passages or cruises and the boat owners have come to the realization that the lifestyle is not for them. So, generally good, well-equipped boats are put on the market by people desperate for enough money to begin their lives ashore again. If you can catch one before it has sat too long, you can get a pretty good deal.
Thats a good recommendation...Do you know a good resource to find out about these cruising yachts for sale?