V-Berth Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2010
Catalina 25' Newport
I am looking for "specialized" bedding for my Catalina 25'. I understand there is a "Travasak V-Berth Bedding System," but I cannot for the LIFE of me find one to buy online (except from a guy in New York on Craig's List - I'm in Oregon). I see there are a few other alternatives, but they are VERY expensive & the Travasak seemed fairly reasonable @ about $200. I found some Travasak replacement sheets from http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|406|62335&id=877005, for about $50, but would love to find a "sleep sack" for the V-berth (which, let's face it, is really just a sleeping bag - but the Travasak had the added benefit of a summer side & a winter side & was tailored to the v-berth) which would make it easy & comfy to sleep & easy to maintain the area.

May 25, 2010
Catalina 25' Newport
Oh, by the way, I DID find a Travasak system at SeaScape Yacht Interiors, for about $200, but after paying through PayPal & not getting a confirmation email from the company or being redirected back to their site, I attempted to phone them only to be told that number was not valid. I quickly cancelled my payment & changed my PayPal password. Just didn't feel right to me & I really didn't want to be out $200 (or MORE)!
Here's another way to get to their website: http://customboatsheets.com/index.html
Tell me what YOU think.....

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Good choice, I think. Do you have a sewing machine? Considered making your own? Pretty sure my dad did that on his.

May 25, 2010
Catalina 25' Newport
Yeah, that would be ideal, but I'm not too good with the whole sewing thing......
I don't even have a sewing machine anymore. I'm leaning toward just fluffy comforter with a duvet or a double sleeping bag. It won't be "V shaped," but I think we can make it work. I just really like the Travasak concept & people really gave it excellent reviews - though I heard from Defender that Travasak is out of business - they DO have some twin sized Travasak systems, but that really doesn't do me any good.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
got this from practical sailor and its both the best and least expensive solution to v berth bedding. froli systems; they have a web site. you won't be sorry

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I've heard good things about those but I think the OP was looking for a fitted sheets/blankets solution.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
rsthall, I just read your thought about maybe going with a comforter with duvet etc and wanted to comment to give you some feedback on that idea.

We decided to do that because the thought of sheets getting tangled etc. was not interesting to us. We first got the 3 inch. Memory Foam pad from Costco and cut it down. That comes with a really nice zip in mattress pad to keep it all together. Then we spread out a quilt and tucked it in tightly all around. We added a down like thin blanket and a comforter w/duvet on top of that and it is WONDERFUL. We will use just the think blanket when it is warm and usually the two work perfectly together and the quilt is very comfortable to sleep on. Laundering is pretty simple and it looks really inviting too.

Sep 16, 2010
Catalina 25 Solomons
I am looking for "specialized" bedding for my Catalina 25'. I understand there is a "Travasak V-Berth Bedding System," but I cannot for the LIFE of me find one to buy online (except from a guy in New York on Craig's List - I'm in Oregon). I see there are a few other alternatives, but they are VERY expensive & the Travasak seemed fairly reasonable @ about $200. I found some Travasak replacement sheets from http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|406|62335&id=877005, for about $50, but would love to find a "sleep sack" for the V-berth (which, let's face it, is really just a sleeping bag - but the Travasak had the added benefit of a summer side & a winter side & was tailored to the v-berth) which would make it easy & comfy to sleep & easy to maintain the area.
I bought a TravaSak last year from 'www.rvupgrade.com' for my power boat and it fit nicely. It was very comfortable and worth the $160. Unfortunately they're no longer listed there. They are listed on Amazon.com as "out of stock" and "don't know when or if they will return." There are some for sale on eBay and I believe they're new. Unfortunately they're overpriced - by my standards - at $260. They're listed for $208 on 'boatingequipmentstore.com', which is probably your best bet. The TravaSak doesn't fit as nicely in the small v-berth of my 1985 Catalina 25. However, I bought a queen-sized inflatable mattress, which fits perfectly in the dinette area (head to starboard and feet to port). To support the mattress I place two large tupperware storage tubs side-by-side under it. When the bed is not in use I store the mattress and TravaSak in one tub and everything else that I want to keep dry in the other tub, i.e.: towels, clothing, etc. Good luck with the TravaSak. You'll probably love it. "Happy Sails To You!"

Status
Not open for further replies.