USS SpiderCrack Rebuild Thread (MacGregor 26D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
If you ever feel bad about your MacGregor, just look at mine and you will feel infinitely better about yours :laugh:

Welcome to the USS SpiderCrack (ok, not quite a steamship, but it adds to the name). I bought a boat in bad shape, and will slowly rebuild it to learn about boats but mostly because I'm as poor as heck with even worse credit and simply couldn't afford anything better :D

Date Purchased: 12/30/11
1988 MacGregor 26D
Back Story: An older gentleman who owned her and loved her passed away. His elderly wife didn't know what to do with it, so had her neighbor Jimmy get rid of her for free! Jimmy posted an add on Craigslist and he also didn't know what he had so put her up for sale on Craigslist for only $800 with barely any details more than "Sailboat". After talking with Jimmy, I figured out he had exactly what i was looking for, a MacGregor 26 Classic (I had been searching Craigslist for several months for exactly this boat), and so I paid him $800 for it.
Redeeming Quality: The Trailer is in great shape and much nicer than the stock MacGregor one, almost worth $800 alone.

First a question, can anyone please describe for me, how to use the Ballast controls as pictured here?

Second, I've completed 1 Mod so far in the first week. My boat came with no cabin door so I must thank Crusier1 and Mr. Bill for some great advice on how to make this:

Third, here are some pictures of what my boat looks like inside now, I do like the custom table the elderly gentleman made and the bins he hung and the nice wood privacy wall he added in front of the v-birth. Since taking this picture, I've had all of these original seat covers washed and have ordered all new memory foam cut to replace the old foam in the seats now.

Fourth, one of my projects will be the spider cracks inside the cabin on one side. My guess is a tree limb fell on her left side corner of the cockpit and the elderly gentleman did a novice fiberglass repair (very rough) on the outside but did not fix the inside as you can see here:

Fifth, my biggest project will be to paint the whole boat, top and bottom and figure how how to make the windows look a little better. I've checked the hull and had others check it and it's in good shape with no fiberglass repair needed (except paint).
Here you can see the rough fiberglass repair he did on the outside (only on 1 side, the other side looks normal, I wouldn't have been able to do much better on my own).

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
nice trailer!

no doubt it took a big hit. what do you want to do with the boat? how solid does the repair feel? there's plywood under the deck. any soft spots?

the ballast works by pulling the black stopper plug (get a real boat plug), and loosening the wind nut so the valve on the bottom is open. then you launch and water fills up to about 2" below the bottom of the plug hole, once full close everything up. (I put some paper towels around the vent and valve to check if I have a leak.

if you over load you boat, water can come out the vent hole and eventually sink the boat. so if you load up with a months worth of stuff, watch the vent when filling.

I'd like to see it after you wash it with bleach and hit it with a pressure washer....

May 4, 2005
Fifth, my biggest project will be to paint the whole boat, top and bottom and figure how how to make the windows look a little better. I've checked the hull and had others check it and it's in good shape with no fiberglass repair needed (except paint).
Here you can see the rough fiberglass repair he did on the outside (only on 1 side, the other side looks normal, I wouldn't have been able to do much better on my own).

^Sorry I missed that..

-if its structurally sound, I'd try to cover the interior roof, and just hide it..

on the exterior, you might want to surround the windows with black paint, make it look like one big window, kinda like what they do on the sportfish boats.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
MrBill_FLL said:
I've checked the hull and had others check it and it's in good shape with no fiberglass repair needed (except paint).

^Sorry I missed that..

-if its structurally sound, I'd try to cover the interior roof, and just hide it..

on the exterior, you might want to surround the windows with black paint, make it look like one big window, kinda like what they do on the sportfish boats.
That is a great idea about the black paint around the window. Can you show me an example of that by any chance?

My needs for a boat are different than most, I need it as a live-aboard address since I run a business in the same state. I work the night shift every night so won't need to sleep aboard but I love the Marina and will be using the wifi during the day. In the warm season, my Marina's fees are higher than I can afford so I needed a trailerable boat to take it to the states largest lake where I'll have loads of fun sailing it. This lake is huge, about half the size of the smallest great lake, so I'm excited.

So my needs dictate that I fix up the inside as nice as I can before I do anything with the outside.

May 4, 2005
I've seen a few live aboards on mac26s. having 110v makes it much easier...
and the trailer will like fresh water better.

1st I would take some acetone and wipe down the interior, and see how it cleans up. you might try to cover that like the outside, or mask it with a cover.

there's a lot of space behind the inner liner:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/m26d_2.jpg

mby some of these will give you ideas:
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/?start=all

the black around a sport fish:

http://www.orangebeach.ws/2007/News..._at_Perdido_Pass/Sportfishing_Boat_Sunk_5.jpg

(its not a window).

I'm not finding any sailboats with black outlines (eyebrows) around the windows, but I think the hunter deck salon models are like that. (huge windows anyway).

http://c907.r7.cf3.rackcdn.com/422898.jpg

I would think masking around the windows, in a large angle pattern similar to the side profile .

I think someone posted pic like that , on the trailer sailor board in last month or so...

edit: the mac X is a good example:
http://www.ne-ts.com/cr/cr-401e.jpg

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
What a project! Slow and steady wins the race. Just try to watch expenses, they add up faster than it seems. Best of luck to you on this new (to you) boat. Just ask if you need help.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Hollyweirdos said:
What a project! Slow and steady wins the race. Just try to watch expenses, they add up faster than it seems. Best of luck to you on this new (to you) boat. Just ask if you need help.
Thanks bro!

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Wow! I thought I had a fixer upper. I have a great wood entertainment/ storage area you can have. Comes with TV/ VCR combo. (I'll try and get some pictures up in my gallery. I'm having a heck of a time doing that though...Wants some URL address...Can any one give me some advice on this?)
I'm not sure if someone lived on mine or what. What a mess inside. I just got it Nov. 21/11 from Craigs list as well out of Millers Port Ohio. I paid 2700 more than you!
Keep us posted on your repairs. I'll be posting mine as I go and looking for ideas.
This weekend I'm learning to sew new cushion covers!
Best of luck.
Finding

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
Wow! I thought I had a fixer upper. I have a great wood entertainment/ storage area you can have. Comes with TV/ VCR combo. (I'll try and get some pictures up in my gallery. I'm having a heck of a time doing that though...Wants some URL address...Can any one give me some advice on this?)
I'm not sure if someone lived on mine or what. What a mess inside. I just got it Nov. 21/11 from Craigs list as well out of Millers Port Ohio. I paid 2700 more than you!
Keep us posted on your repairs. I'll be posting mine as I go and looking for ideas.
Best of luck.
Finding
Thank you, I'll be watching for your thread and I wish you good luck as well.
If you find you don't need the entertainment center, I would be interested in that.

When posting pictures, first upload them to a free image host like www.ImageShack.com, then copy the URL marked, "for forums" into your post or gallery.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
On a previous thread you asked me what I paid for my 1990 26D. It was a zero more than yours:- $8,000. Can. I saw many which were less but more work, so I thought, than the one I bought. Mine had great paint jobs but many flaws. You have me beat in the to do department. One boat I did see for $3,000 had tree damage after a gale. Just about where your cabin damage is and included a bent mast etc. Toooo much work for me.
Do you have mast and sails etc? I have a main sail for free but it needs the rope resetting and some updated slugs. Cheaper than buying new.

When you get repairing there is no end. Half way through what I wanted to accomplish plus it was mid summer my wife said "when are you going to stop playing mechanic and sail it. Is it safe enough to sail today"?. Best advice I got. Next day I put it in. After a few days sailing I discovered the necessities to be fixed. Number one a split ballast tank 2 feet long under the rear berth. It took nearly a month to fix but I got back in the water for nearly three months before freeze up. Had a great time.

So get it in the water including the dirt with or without a mast and sails --don't forget your life vest.

Enjoy it
Mic

Last edited:

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
That is great advice. My aquarious A21 is all rotten out inside bit I still spent the summer sailing her before ripping out the bunks.

I found more damage that needs fixed. Including a leak in the hull. I wouldn't have found it untill after the floor was repainted and I wouldn't have enjoyed sailing this summer.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Thanks.

I would like a 26c but gf won't go for it because they don't have the --

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
The Mac 25's do not all have the same layout inside (aside from the cleanliness of timebandit's). Mine is a 1976 with a layout as shown in the picture (sorry for the dirt):redface:

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Ace is the Place

DIV.ratingStarsP SPAN.grey { WIDTH: 11px; DISPLAY: block; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 10px; _filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='../images/star_grey.png')}HTML > BODY DIV.ratingStarsP SPAN.grey { BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(../images/star_grey.png); WIDTH: 11px; DISPLAY: block; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 10px}DIV.ratingStarsP SPAN.red { WIDTH: 11px; DISPLAY: block; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 10px; _filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='../images/star_red.png')}HTML > BODY DIV.ratingStarsP SPAN.red { BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(../images/star_red.png); WIDTH: 11px; DISPLAY: block; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 10px}
view enhanced image

Oil Lamps / Oils / Parts

Lamplight® Metropolitan Oil Lamp (52598)

(No reviews)
Be the first to
Write a Review

Price: $18.49
|
Item no: 6109185

Status
Not open for further replies.