Using plastic pipe for tank/thru hull connections instead of hose

Mar 29, 2017
Catalina 30 Everett, wa
Just looked to purchase a 1999 C380 that is in pristine condition but noticed one interesting owner modification. He has installed a brand new holding tank and chose to use plastic irrigation piping instead of the regular hose. He believed that this would reduce or avoid the problems of smell when using traditional flexible hose. Sounded persuasive but I'm wondering if this breaks any regulations and also if there's a risk of the piping coming unglued if the boat is pounding in rough water. Maybe there are other issues or perhaps it's a good idea. Appreciate guidance. Thanks

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Are you talking about the black flexible poly irrigation pipe or the more ridged abs/pvc type of pipe? Poly usually uses a coloured stripe down the side to indicate its type and specifications. I would think the poly pipe would start to permeate with odour fairly rapidly. Ridged could and has been used in some cases but I would want to have some sort of flexible coupling at strategic locations. - these become an additional point of failure.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
ABS PVC is fairly common in marine sanitation systems because it's cheap and doesn't permeate with odor. The downsides are: 1. it doesn't bend but a few degrees, making it necessary to use inline radius fittings in runs that aren't straight. 2. It's necessary to support any long runs and also necessary to "soft couple" connections to any rigid device (toilet, tank, thru-hull) with enough hose to protect from shock and/or flex. Hose should be secured to the end of the pipe and the rigid device with hose clamps--double clamped, with screws 180 degrees apart--not "glued." The only connections that should be "glued"are any radius fittings, with proper PVC cement.

So as long as the PO installed the necessary supports and short sections of hose where needed, it should be ok. If not, you'll just need to add 'em.