Using outboard on Catalina 30

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
What would be the best way to check what is wrong with the engine? I got the boat from the third party and they do not know what exactly happened. Just saying it is "frozen". I will be visiting the marina where the boat is and thought of removing the engine and taking it back home to see if it can be repaired. Will I need a crane to get it off the boat (it sits on the cradle)? Besides the engine itself what other parts will I need to remove/take home?
See if it rotates. The A4 does have a hand crank, and there's usually an access hole in the settee right in front of the engine. Don't try to start it with the crank, pull the plugs and see if it rotates. If it rotates, make sure there's oil in the pan, squirt some oil in the plug holes, then just basic gas engine diagnosing: suck, squeeze, bang, blow.. The starter needs to spin it. You need fuel from the carb. You need compression. You need spark. 1950s basic mechanics. (Well, its a boat engine, so you need cooling water too if it starts to fire.)

Pulling a Catalina 30 A4 is easy for a boat engine - remove the counter, unbolt the engine and pull it out the companionway. In the water the boom (supported by a halyard at the point of lift) is fine to get it out. I'd be cautious doing that on stands cause when you swing the boom out to drop the engine off the boat, that's a lot of weight on the side. Wouldn't want to tip the boat over - so on the hard I'd use a crane/backhoe/4 big guys/whatever.

For all things A4, moyermarine. Plenty of rebuild threads on the forums there.

That's a looooooooong way to go in a C-30. You'll need an engine in good condition to go through the river and canals. You'd need jerry cans of fuel too. Range under power is around 50-60 miles if you're engine is running right. I'd just buy a boat already closer to you.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
My C30 came with an OB on the transom. I would go for rebuilding or replacing the A4. If in the budget A4 from Moyer would be the ticket.

I bought a runner for $100 and rebuilt in in my garage using Moyer Marine and their forum.

Easier to tow an A4 than a C30. UHaul was $15 and boatyard lifted in the motor for me, money well spent.

If your interested in what restoring a complete basketcase C30 looks like check out my blog, More fun than... Well..uughhh.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
For years I kept on looking at a derelict 1976 hull #364. I bought it from the owner for one dollar.
This is St. Croix USVI. Over a foot of water inside. Threw the engine, shaft, strut away. Coral stuck to the hull ap to 3" long. Removed the coral while in the water and hauled out.
I installed a heavy duty o/b bracket from Port Supply with large backing washers, total $300.. Bought a used rope start 15 hp two stroke long leg outboard for $800. This bracket is mounted as far down as possible and in the up verical position, clears the water. There is an extra ,ong leg available. If the bracket is left in the downposition, it will tilt 90 degrees and clear the stern. The longest I have motored is from Tortola to St. Croix, 40 miles, 5 1/2 hours. It did hull speed. I had damaged standing rigging and did not sail. I use the boat almost every week and also race her. The boat performs very well and have been able to beat a J-24 boat for boat once in a while.
Without the engine, there was no need for fuel tank, panel, wires, etc.
However, I had a Seidelman 30 back in 1980 and a seized engine. I removed the plugs and top the cylinders with one of the many oils available to loosen rust.
I removed the updraft carburator, starter, and alternator and took them to a shop for rebuild as needed. Eventually I was able to turn the engine after removing the head. Ckeaned the cylinders and bolted back together with new gaskets.

Jan 16, 2017
Catalina 30 Milford, CT
Thank you for the tips! I did visit the boat and fall in love with her :) Unfortunately had only 1 day and spent it all cleaning. Did take some pictures. Below is the engine. Is it possible to determine based on the picture if it is FWC or RWC? I would assume that FWC is better, correct? Another reason I did not attempt starting it, because I was told the engine was winterized (anti-freeze?) and it is still cold in CT. Will have to come back later in the spring.
upload_2017-1-28_16-8-26.png

Jan 16, 2017
Catalina 30 Milford, CT
And one more question (not related to the engine): what are the two circled holes for? The black ones are for the cockpit drain most probably. What about the white ones just next to them? Nothing in the manual.
upload_2017-1-28_17-8-45.png

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
You are correct in that the flush ones are scuppers, the 2 fittings may be manual bilge and auto bilge pumps. You will not know for sure unless you trace out the hoses or verify by pumping water thru. That compartment is the hardest spot to work on in but I would go back there and look at the hoses. The access is via a hatch at the aft end of the quarter berth, on our 78' the old exhaust hose split at the transom fitting filling the boat Carbon Monoxide, lucky for us I had installed an alarm. I would check on things back there before splashing the boat.

My guess is the motor is RW cooled, you have to trace the hoses and look for the heat exchanger. If you do have one check the zincs. You would have waterpumps if it was FWC and with an A4 the 2nd pump can be electric or run off a pulley added to the fly wheel. Moyer Marine is the forum and place for all things A4.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
That motor is RWC. The thermostat housing goes right into the exhaust manifold. (Unless the exhaust manifold doesn't flow into the exhaust elbow.) If you have a pic of where the hose coming out of the exhaust manifold goes, it would be conclusive. But 99.9% of A4s were RWC. No biggie either, just maintain them and they lasted 30+ years.

Those thruhulls are likely bilge pump and manual bilge pump. The port locker (sail locker) is pretty easy to get into if you empty it and follow the hoses. There is a panel that's held by 4-6 screws in the back of the quarterberth that gives you access into the cavity below the rear lazerette. Most C-30s have a removable panel in the bottom of the rear lazerette to access the steering and cockpit drains. Nice thing about Catalinas, most stuff is pretty easily accessible (by boat standards).

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The trip will take around 10 days, leaving time to take down and replace the mast, and averaging 40 nm per day, except in the canal, where processing through the locks will slow you down.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Did not see the picture. Fresh water cooled engines have a heat exchanger and a fresh water pump similar to your car. Most, if not all, Atomic 4 engines are only raw water cooled. Mine was raw water cooled and I lived in Marblehead, MA at the time. I would close the seacock, open the strainer, start the engine and pour enviromental antifreeze until it came out of the exhaust.