Use pressure washer to clean boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim

Just wonder if anyone has experience to wash boat with a pressure washer. I recently bought a pressure washer (1600 psi) for household use. The instruction manual says don't use it to washer cars. Is it safe for fiberglass deck and/or hull?? Thanks.

D

Don Berger

check the archives

lots of stuff already written about this - no consensus

E

Ed Schenck

Like brushless carwash.

I tried my pressure washer and got the same results as driving my car through a brushless carwash. After a long winter the heavy loose dirt comes off but you still have that tough film. I end up just using it to rinse after doing the old bucket and brush routine. Not worth the effort of hookup for me.

J

Jim Logan

Works for me

The pressure washer works for me - I use a 1300 psi model, don't get the tip too close to the gelcoat or any cracks in it. It rains a lot in New Orleans, and our boats tend to get a green film on them. The pressure washer makes getting that off much easier than scrubbing - still have to scrub the really bad spots, though. It will "rough up" your teak if it is not varnished, as the softer wood between grains will be removed by the high pressure, so I am careful around the wood unless I am going to sand anyway.

K

Kevin

Pit, Pit, Pit that Deck Away

As the owner of several fine cars and one Hunter 320 I recommend that you NOT use a pressure washer unless you are preparing the boat for repainting or unless the boat is so dirty that only a pressure washer will clean it. The pressure of the water has a tendancy to pit whatever it washes as it drives the dirt out. As a result the surface will trap more dirt over time, not less and the cycle accelerates from there. The trick in washing a car or a boat is to gently lift the dirt particles without pitting. The cleaning agent (soap) is important too. As much of a pain as it is, I recommend you use the old soft deck brush and good quality boat soap. You might want to go to a top quality products site and ask their opinion.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Don't confuse power washers with pressure washers

A true pressure washer puts out 15,000 or higher psi...and I agree that using one to clean a boat is highly risky. A 1000-1600 psi power washer is only about 2-3x that of a garden hose nozzle...not enough to put gelcoat at much risk unless you put the nozzle right against and stand there for 5 minutes. And they're one of the handiest gizmos you can own...among other uses, they force bilge cleaner and water into places in the bilge you can't reach. They're also great for hosing down the dock finger, which cuts down on the amount dirt tracked aboard...cut spring boat cleaning time in half. And they're VERY handy for cleaning vinyl cushions...not to mention decks, patios, patio furniture, grills, sidewalks and driveways at home.

D

Don Berger

how's that for a consensus

you know what thety say about opinions... I doubt there is any such thing as an expert opinion on the use of these things for boats - I recently pressure washed our desk and it worked great but the wood is definitely scored in places regardless of my concerted effort to not do that. By the way, where does one live to get city pressure water = 1000 psi?? Don

D

Don Berger

Peggy - didn't you?

I read your previous post to say that the pressure from a pressure washer is 2-3 times that of city water. I thought city water is typically 35-60 psi?? Don

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Nope...what I said was...

About 3-5x that of a garden hose nozzle--that thingy you put on the end of the hose with a handle on it that increases the pressure. You can get a few hundred psi with a good one...100 or more just by putting your thumb over the end of the hose.

D

Don Berger

Interesting point but...

Being an engineer, I've had this discussion with others, that being whether or not simply decreasing the orifice size can actually increase pressure. What is actually being observed is the same pressure pushing through a smaller hole creating the appearance of higher pressure - what you perceive is an increase in pressure but it's actually more water flowing through a smaller diameter. That is why you confused me with the psi analogy 3-5 times 30 psi being close to 1500. The smaller diameter doesn't increase pressure. Now back to boating stuff...

G

Glenn Greene

Don's Right

Haing been a licensed landscape contractor for a number of years and then working for a major irrigation manufacturer, I can tell you Don's right. You haven't increased pressure when you put one of those little nozzles on what you're doing is increasing velocity, this is called Bernoulli's principle. In order for the same amount of water to fit through a smaller opening the velocity increases. There are two ways to gain pressure. One is to raise your point of water, i.e. elevated water tanks. You gain, or lose .433 psi for every foot of elevation change. If your water supply is 100' off the ground your pressure at a spigot at the bottom of the tank would be 43.3 psi. The other way of increasing pressure is through water pumps, which is generally what is used in the new underground systems. This was one of the trick questions we had on our exams.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Ok...however

Whether due to pressure or velocity, it's the force with which water is driven at a surface that matters...and my point was, neither 1600 psi nor the equivilant velocity is enough to damage gelcoat. Even a garden hose applies water with more force than should be used on teak, however.

J

John

Back to boat stuff

I pressure wash about two times a year and scrub with starbright deck ( with Teflon) wash rest of the time. Works for me. Have to admit once I use the pressure washer there is no going back, it does take the seal off.

Status
Not open for further replies.