USB Port

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 30 Denison
What would be the best way to get a USB port at the helm so I can plug in my phone which I use for Navionics. Could I tie in to the power lines to the knot log or depth finder? Any other solutions?

Thanks,
Joe

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You could install an automotive-type "cigarette lighter", then plug a Scosche ReVolt 2-port USB car charger into that.
I think it should have its own fused circuit.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
BlueSea Systems has marine/waterproof USB sockets that come in white and black. I have two, one for the main panel and one that will go inside a cock-pit cubby. You need a 1 & 1/8" mounting hole. It has has a gasket and and an integrated cover. You can probably hook it to the hot for your other instruments since they don't have much draw, probably on a 5 amp fuse. You could add another in-line fuse if you wanted, a cell phone or even tablet does not draw much.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016200/12V_DC_White_Dual_USB_Charger

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The BSS USB jack is nice, but remember that it only waterproof when the cover is closed and nothing is plugged in. Plug in a cable and the whole thing become a short hazard in the wet or rain.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
The BSS USB jack is nice, but remember that it only waterproof when the cover is closed and nothing is plugged in. Plug in a cable and the whole thing become a short hazard in the wet or rain.
Good point... If on the helm, don't plug in to charge in the rain or heavy spray. Thats why I'm putting mine inside the little cubby I have on the port & starboard sides of my cockpit. Good for charging phones and tablets plus still able to use aps with the standard 3 foot charge cable. A 'sheltered' install is always the preference for anything sensitive.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I installed the blue seas plug in. No problems and I use a jack that has 2 usb inputs. With the way things are evolving USB's will probably be replaced with something else as soon as I get everything converted.

Jan 2, 2017
Catalina 30 Denison
I'm really looking for information on how to get the wires from the cockpit (on the pedestal) down to some power.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
There's likely wires already there - for the lights on the compass. As to running new power wires, you just fish em down the pedastal, keeping them out of the cables/chains. Remove the compass, then there's 4 screws holding the top of the pedestal on. (assuming an Edson pedestal)

From there you can drop under the liner alongside the morse cables for the shifter/throttle. Then fish over to the chart table if that's where your panel is. If your panel is behind the galley, that's even easier to fish. You can add a fuse/breaker or piggyback on an available fuse/breaker that's appropriate size for the wire and is a similar function (accessory, radio, etc... obviously not "steaming light")

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I put some slots in the helm guard - right where the NavPods sit - then run the wires in the helm guard and into the boat. Much cleaner than the way the PO ran them thru a wire grommet in the cockpit sole.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I installed the blue seas plug in. No problems and I use a jack that has 2 usb inputs. With the way things are evolving USB's will probably be replaced with something else as soon as I get everything converted.
I agree.