US Customs enforcement raises the ante anti-Pot

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like how the article says don't lie because you can get banned for life, but if you tell the truth you get banned for life. o_O

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The morons we have making laws astound me. Take the tariff/tax money and run. I would like our government to make it a taxable, legal item so we can profit/get rid of criminals/clear jails of people who just want to chill.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
get rid of criminals/clear jails of people who just want to chill.
:yikes:We can't just let them out. What an economic blow that would be. Besides, the government is contractually obligated to keep the prisons full.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The morons we have making laws astound me. Take the tariff/tax money and run. I would like our government to make it a taxable, legal item so we can profit/get rid of criminals/clear jails of people who just want to chill.
We did that in my state. Bringing in quite a lot of tax dollars, too. Other states are also doing this, per the talking heads on the telly.
( I was not wild about having one more intoxicant being legal to sell and use, but criminalizing it had never worked for over 50 years. Same situation as when alcohol was made illegal. )

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Just a question, if a US person enters the US from Canada and the CBP ask if they smoked any pot in Canada an they say yes, will they be arrested for it?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just a question, if a US person enters the US from Canada and the CBP ask if they smoked any pot in Canada an they say yes, will they be arrested for it?
If they're in the driver's seat, it's very possible.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If they're in the driver's seat
Does either country really want truck or car drivers driving a vehicle after or while they are smoking pot or for that matter drinking alcohol?
Alcohol has a short term affect. Put the individual in the drunk tank tonight and by morning they'll have a hangover but the effects will be diminished and gone by 48 hours.
Get bombed on pot and the effects take longer to dissipate. So the influence lasts. Get bombed on pot Friday night, the drug is still in the system Monday when you want to get behind that 18 wheeler and go driving on the interstate next to the soccer mom with her 3 kids.
Get smashed on alcohol on Friday night puke all Saturday, sober by Sunday night ready to function on Monday. Sure you may want another drink but the effects of Friday are gone.
Do I care if you partake of the locally legal drug? no.
But one of the affects I have seen is it is getting more difficult to find truck drivers who can pass the drug test.
So as we relax the rules are we ready to relax the testing of truck drivers?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Get bombed on pot and the effects take longer to dissipate. So the influence lasts. Get bombed on pot Friday night, the drug is still in the system Monday when you want to get behind that 18 wheeler and go driving on the interstate next to the soccer mom with her 3 kids.
o_O
While I agree the metabolites of THC take much longer for the body to be rid of, the "influence" is gone much quicker than you purport.

Oct 22, 2014
Granted I have no personal experience from which I can speak regarding the return of control from pot.
I have read the medical journals, and I have dealt with the truck drivers wanting to haul my milk in 40,000 pound loads on to Federal Facilities. Granted I am probably a bit conservative with the thinking about vehicle control and the influences of substances in drivers.
That said, I believe the Canadian and the US officials have similar reactions when affronted by an individual in a vehicle crossing the border showing signs of being under the influence, regardless if it is legal to use or not.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If all they have is an answer to a boarder guard's question, it would be very difficult to prosecute on that admission alone. No evidence, no caught in the act, just a, "yeah dude, I smoked a little weed once."
In court it would be, "It was six years ago, dude. I thought he was asking if I EVER smoked weed. Besides dude, I didn't inhale."

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I thInk the issue is much less of the effects and much more of a reason to ban you. What you may or may not have done 20 years ago does not necessarily equate to today.
So, Justin Trudeau admitted publicly that he has. When the internship as PM is over, does he get banned the first time he heads south?

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I think you’re confusing the intoxication time with the active enzyme in your system. THC is absorbed into your fat cells, so it shows in your blood for up to a month. However, there are other tests, such as a cheek swab, that can more accurately calculate your intoxication level which is about the same as alcohol 12-24hrs. The problem is that the government still considers it a schedule I drug and treated like heroin and meth. Any trace amount is considered illegal. And that is stupid and needs to change. Look around, you’d be surprised how many high profile AND functioning people use weed.

Oct 22, 2014
@907Juice I am not confusing the two. The difficulty is until the cheek swab becomes the accepted method of decision regarding intoxication the rules say use of vehicles is a violation of a the law. In my work world the search for individuals who can abide by the law is getting more difficult now that the prohibition had been changed.
Beyond that it is all a matter of individual choice.
Regarding the border crossing the folks making the decision to permit access are following the law set out by politicians. The CBP and CBSA are not making the laws so getting upset with them is silly. Equally hoping that they will look the other way feels to me foolish. They are there to do a job.
I understand that the purpose of this dialogue and message is to make folk aware.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Interesting thread. My wife has just been approved for medical pot use by the state of NJ for chronic pain. Part of the process is an hour of education on pot, how to use it and current laws. She cannot take it out of state or onto federal grounds like a federally funded park. I never thought about across borders. Luckily she doesn’t drive and we don’t plan to go out of the country anytime soon.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
The smarter states have done just that... but the federal government (that controls the border) still has it as a class A drug (I believe...)

What I have often wondered is what if they find it on your boat, but you are within "coastal waters" of a legal state? Does the CG then "blow up" trying to resolve this or what? The entire west coast from Washington to California now has cannabis as legal for recreation use. Sets up a real dilemma regarding enforcement.

Essentially cannabis is only "illegal" right at the thin line that defines the country and the state borders... go figure.

"One Toke over the line... " GRIN