US coast guard approved life jackets in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyW

May 16, 2004
Hunter 41 Trident Yacht Club
By the way Monicatony, in the US CPS stands for child protective services.........
JohnB, Ok I did not know about U.S. child protective services, In Canada its Canadian Power & Sail (Squadrons)
Lots of confusion here, Canadian boats = Canadian approved, U.S boats = U.S. approved lifejackets or PFD's. Wherever you are sailing in the world, you comply with the contry whose flag your vessal is registerd with.

In Canada inflateables have to be worn to count when on the water.

Flares aerial to attract attention, handheld to guide resuers to you when close enough

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
A CDN PFD is not the same as a lifejacket, ha ha, a life jacket is a device that will keep an unconcious persons head above water, while a pfd can be most anything with a stamp on it. They also have an expiry date like hard hats.
50 ft throwbags suck compared to 100ft but you can reload them quick. Having 2 is good for a quick second chance. The rules are the same for small sailboats as for ww kayakers, but our bailing device is a sponge.That is what we were taught in the 3 day ww instructor course.
Good to know about the inflatable jacket being legal only if worn, they work best that way anyway.
I read old flares up here have to be delivered to Pacific Blasting in Burnaby for a fee, no more rcmp drop off, no legal way to light them off either, see the mag Pacific Yachting, FEB 2011, pg 4
When I was pulled over and boarded by the RCMP in Feb in Vancouver, they asked to see, in order, boater card, registration, 2 fire extinguishing expiry tags, 12 flares; only enquired about the number of life jackets aboard, without checking, I had extra. They all carry fines of 250 plus per. My flares were expired but he was kind enough to write up a warning only [I had owned the boat 20 min at that point and no prior inspections] so flares are up to date now.

Status
Not open for further replies.