US coast guard approved life jackets in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2011
Hunter H340 Campbell River, BC. Canada
I guess this is mainly for Canadian boater.
Was wondering if anyone has run into problems using US Coast Guard approved life jackets in Canada?
Has anyone had a Canadian Coast Guard inspection where US jackets were an issue?

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
I don't have enough (12) flares or 50 ft of floating heaving line. I don't have waterproof flashlight either.

TonyW

May 16, 2004
Hunter 41 Trident Yacht Club
Seattle Scott, with your 3 reqd flares in the States you would find that # totally inadequate if you were a few miles offshore and had a problem, so more is actually a good thing if you want you want to be found, a good idea to have SOLAS flares as well. Try and retrieve someone with 50' of line, that's not very far from your boat in rough conditions, yes I'm a safety inspector for CPS,

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Are there any PFD's that have both Canadian and US approval?

I have canoed from Dawson City Canada to Circle Alaska on the Yukon River some 7 times and always used just one PFD - never thought about it before.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
By the way Monicatony, in the US CPS stands for child protective services.........

Jan 20, 2011
I have never heard of approval for both US and Canada for life jackets. I guess it makes too much sense.
Of course this approval business does not apply to a US boat in Canadian waters or the reverse.
The rules does say it must be Canadian approved but so far, I have not heard from anyone that ran into an issue with it.
Like, if you import a boat from the US, throw away your life jackets because they are not safe anymore. Those life jackets are not cheap and for the want of a label that meets bureaucratic standards they are no good north of the boarder eh.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Yep- I still have a bag with 8 US approved lifejackets in it in the basement. and a bill for 8 Canadian approved ones plus a bunch of flares as a result of importing our boat a few years back. ( you may be catching on that this is one of my pet peeves)- if we can get together on border crossing security surely some of the bureaucrats could sort this out very quickly. Interestingly enough- a lot of the safty gear is manufactured in the USA TO CANADIAN SPECS!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
One more thing - I have a big collection of out of date flares that I really need to do something with. If I had to buy 12 at a time I would be knee deep in them. Maybe I should try out some that expired back in 91 and see if they still work.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I guess this is mainly for Canadian boater.
Was wondering if anyone has run into problems using US Coast Guard approved life jackets in Canada?
Has anyone had a Canadian Coast Guard inspection where US jackets were an issue?
I believe there is not problem using any "PFD" as long as you have enough Canadian approved Life jackets on board. You can buy a bag of these at chandlrys often on sale for about 50 bucks. Even the Mustang inflatable is approved as a PFD and has to be backed up by an approved life jacket.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-information-1324.htm

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I believe there is not problem using any "PFD" as long as you have enough Canadian approved Life jackets on board. You can buy a bag of these at chandlrys often on sale for about 50 bucks. Even the Mustang inflatable is approved as a PFD and has to be backed up by an approved life jacket.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-information-1324.htm

Did you actually read the link you provided

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
This type of flotation device is approved for pleasure craft only.

We are pleasure craft.
And as a Canadian, you should be familiar what is required on your boat...

Sail and powered pleasure craft over 9 m and up to 12 m (29'6"- 39'4")

Personal Lifesaving Appliances
1. One (1) Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board

Jan 20, 2011
I suppose I could have 1 life jacket approved wrapped in plastic stowed under a ton of other stuff and 1 non approved PFD which is very comfortable, safe (at least in the states) and I wear all the time and still meet the regulations. Will one approved life jacket for each person whether you use them or not meet the regulations? I think it will.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
The regs say one approved jacket of the correct size for each person aboard. Nothing said about other non- approved jackets. Wear the comfortable one- it will keep you afloat in Canadian water just as well as it would keep you afloat in US water

Sep 20, 2006
1 approved PFD or Lifejacket for each person on board, whether they wear them or not. You should keep them accessable if they're not being worn. The intent is not to satisfy the regulations but for the safety of everyone on board.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
My US purchased boat came with 8 USCG approved PFD that became non-approved the minute the boat came under Canadian registry in Canadian waters. I called the CCG, plus the Transportation Industry Ministry with the Mfg number to see if there was a corresponding CCG number that I could obtain. No such luck although the USCG and CCG approved ones are made by the same Mfg and are exactly the same.

Since the requirements say they have to be on board (does not say worn all the time) I bought a bag of CCG approved PFD and keep them on board. Stupid as it is the CCG approved ones I bought are of a lesser quality, i.e. provide less buoyancy than the USCG ones that came with the boat ! If we ever need to put them on, you can bet that everybody on board will don the USCG approved ones.

BTW, I remember reading that in Canada, an inflatable PFD, automatic or manual, only counts if worn all the time.

As for flares, I keep a supply of old ones on board. More are better I believe. But most people seem to think that they are for signaling an emergency. Good luck with that if offshore ! They really should be used to signal your presence to approaching help.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Did you actually read the link you provided

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
This type of flotation device is approved for pleasure craft only.

We are pleasure craft.
And as a Canadian, you should be familiar what is required on your boat...

Sail and powered pleasure craft over 9 m and up to 12 m (29'6"- 39'4")

Personal Lifesaving Appliances
1. One (1) Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board

Scott, I believe I was trying to answer the original question as to whether or not a US PFD could be used in Canada and I think I answered that. You can use any old PFD that you want if you also have enough Canadian approved jackets on board, thus the 50.00 bag of Canadian approved jackets. And yes I actually read the rules but did not provide the answer to your satisfaction. I did not enjoy your rebuff, we are all just trying to help each other out here. Cheers

Sep 20, 2006
Scott, I believe I was trying to answer the original question as to whether or not a US PFD could be used in Canada and I think I answered that. You can use any old PFD that you want if you also have enough Canadian approved jackets on board, thus the 50.00 bag of Canadian approved jackets. And yes I actually read the rules but did not provide the answer to your satisfaction. I did not enjoy your rebuff, we are all just trying to help each other out here. Cheers

I was refering to your statement that made it sound like PFD were not approved and HAD to be backed up by a lifejacket which is not true. Rebuff or not, I was just trying tpo make it clear for others that might be reading the thread and not posting.

Even the Mustang inflatable is approved as a PFD and has to be backed up by an approved life jacket.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Scott,

Go on Transport Canada to get the official version. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-equipment-1140.htm

scroll down and you will read the following: “You can also buy inflatable PFDs, but you must understand how to use and care for them if they are to work properly. You must also understand which activities and conditions they are approved for. Above all, remember that you have to be wearing an inflatable PFD for it to be approved on an open boat. If the boat is not open then you only need to wear it while you’re on deck or in the cockpit.”

Which means that it CANNOT count as an approved PFD if it is not worn when you're topsides.

Sep 20, 2006
Scott,

Go on Transport Canada to get the official version. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-equipment-1140.htm

scroll down and you will read the following: “You can also buy inflatable PFDs, but you must understand how to use and care for them if they are to work properly. You must also understand which activities and conditions they are approved for. Above all, remember that you have to be wearing an inflatable PFD for it to be approved on an open boat. If the boat is not open then you only need to wear it while you’re on deck or in the cockpit.”

Which means that it CANNOT count as an approved PFD if it is not worn when you're topsides.

Ah, you are correct. I don't have an inflateable so was only going by Transport Canada. But you'd think the official version from Transport Canada would tell you that, which was the first link.... :confused:

That's what I love about Transport Canada.... the first link was only to Transport Canada / Marine Safety / Office of Boating Safety / Equipment / Lifejackets & PFDs > Information about Lifejackets and PFDS from the Safe Boating Guide.

It was not the link to Transport Canada / ........ / Marine Safety PUBLICATIONS / Safe Boating Guide ....

Course it makes sence that they wouldn't tell you that in the Information about Lifejackets page.... you have to look in the Safe Boating Guide for Information on PFDS.................... :cussing::cussing:

Status
Not open for further replies.