Urban Anchorages

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Got it. So it appears that I passed not far from you yesterday. I wasn't paying attention to the anchorage area specifically, as I said. If you happened to be aboard and noticed a 26' sailboat raising its main just to the east of you, that would have been me! Anyway, your spot is a good place to anchor: shallow enough and good holding. You do get a breeze there in the afternoons (when the typical westerlies blow) but the water is flat. Should be perfect for anchoring on a single hook given the adequate swinging room. A good spot to hole up for a few days.

It would be a bit of a walk from where you were tied up to these warehouses, but not that bad, really. It would give you your exercise for the day and help you burn off all the calories from the beer! If you don't want to walk and if the free red trolley happens to be running, it will drop you from right across the street from the brewery/craft warehouses. If your wife is at all like mine, I think she'd have a great time at that craft place. You might also, but if not you can always while away the time at the brewery! :beer::biggrin:

When I'm staying aboard I enjoy cooking breakfast on the boat. But if you want to splurge and go out to breakfast, I'd recommend that you try Rex's Cafe. They are strictly a breakfast and lunch place, located on the corner of 22nd st. and Pacific Ave. (north east corner of the intersection). It is an easy walk from the marinas. The quality of the breakfasts is consistently good. It's a smallish place and has its regulars, so my advice is to show up on the early side. (They open at 7 am and I typically pop in at 7:30, when there are only a few people there.) I usually get the California omelet.

Oh, and by the way: If you can dock at 22nd street landing, then you are right across the street from those warehouses.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I did see a boat leaving your marina harbor around 1230 yesterday w/ mainsail up, which then a bit later deployed the headsail and headed easterly toward Long Beach Harbor. :)

I wouldn’t try to walk to the warehouses from where we went ashore yesterday.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
I did see a boat leaving your marina harbor around 1230 yesterday w/ mainsail up, which then a bit later deployed the headsail and headed easterly toward Long Beach Harbor. :)

I wouldn’t try to walk to the warehouses from where we went ashore yesterday.
Most likely that was me!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It’s a lazy January Sunday morning here @ Island White in Long Beach, having passed the night at anchor under the bright full moon. Salon temp is 67 deg F.:) Light @ variable breezes through last night. Uncrowded. I rather like winter sailing/cruising in Southern California. The only negatives are the short daylight period and the occasional rain on weekends. Often, it seems, the very weekend(s) you plan to travel! Air temps not much different from those of summer, but it was pretty much wet from Thanksgiving up until right before New Year’s Day. If you caught the Rose Parade you saw how nice it was that day in Pasadena. Here, we got in our annual NY’s Day sail at least.

The big positive is the way fewer number of boaters out. There are more than 5,000 slips in two marinas at Long Beach within 2 n.mi. of here. Yet, I count 5 sailboats and one trawler here with me this morning:doh:; nicely spaced out generally. Not that there are ever many here at one time. The sailboats are all together where the depth is less than 30 ft. Fog horn going off in the distance.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Nice report - I hope to overnight there for the first time this year!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Back at White Island last night and this morning. Foggy. I hear the “brusiers” loudly and clearly coming in at Queen’s Gate, but cannot see ‘em. This kind of weather keeps the number of boats in the anchorage low. Also, I’m sure many folks are warming up the TV’s and barbees at home or club for the game this afternoon, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Back at White Island last night and this morning. Foggy. I hear the “brusiers” loudly and clearly coming in at Queen’s Gate, but cannot see ‘em. This kind of weather keeps the number of boats in the anchorage low. Also, I’m sure many are warming up the TV’s and barbees for the game this afternoon.
How many other boats were there with you? Did you have it to yourself?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
How many other boats were there with you? Did you have it to yourself?
Seven that I can see; we’re the eighth. Two that were with us last night left already. Gotta remember, one or two of the boats appear to be “stations” for tenders of that relatively new field of mooring balls installed. Those are typically here whenever we show up.:doh:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I assume you are keeping a close eye on the gale warning for the area over the next couple of days.

We are hoping to head over to the island from Cabrillo on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I assume you are keeping a close eye on the gale warning for the area over the next couple of days.

We are hoping to head over to the island from Cabrillo on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Yeah, we’re in the home slip for next week now.

Aug 12, 2014
KG, how deep is it approximately? It looks uneven on the maps ... how much scope do you leave out?

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 6.24.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi. So, you should anchor in the shallow water, 25 - 30 ft, along the northeastern rim of White Island. Just remain inshore of the Anchorage boundary which terminates at that lighted marker indicated on the north side. There are deep potholes, as you see, east of the island. My scope on all chain in there is usually between 2.5:1 and 3:1.

KG

Aug 12, 2014
Awesome. We've got about 30' of chain and then rope, so I guess I'd go out minimum 3:1 or maybe even 4:1. I take it you are not double anchoring but are swinging with the wind?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Awesome. We've got about 30' of chain and then rope, so I guess I'd go out minimum 3:1 or maybe even 4:1. I take it you are not double anchoring but are swinging with the wind?
No double (bow & stern) anchoring; not necessary. Even the mooring balls there are bow only. Just leave swinging room around you.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Still exploring new places in “Urban Anchorage” world! Several years ago Newport Beach opened its second free (72-hr) public anchorage in the Turning Basin at the northwest end of Lido Key. That was in like 2017/18:doh:. Just got around to spending time in it this week. It’s nice:thumbup:. It seems a bit larger than the one at the southeast end of Lido. Much easier (closer) to get ashore as there is also a public dock quite near where you can tie the dink and go ashore for 3 hr. What’s there? Shops, restaurants, bars, coffee house, etc., and the best WM in Southern California (IMO), and not barely. It’s quite good; rigging shop and all. Go to lunch at Bear Flag seafood eatery. Nice selection of fresh fish to prepare for you. Also good beer selection. Eat on the patio or inside. Cool place! “Bear Flag” refers to the California state flag. Still a great state for boaters and forever will be IMO.

20230808_142049.jpeg

Anchored in the Turning Basin in Newport Beach (one of two sailboats). View from Lido Marina Village. Excellent day!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Mini rant
Just returned from Block Island. Anchored next to a guy who put out 130 ft of chain in 10 ft of water at high tide. :facepalm:
Crowded anchorage? Don’t be that guy.