Urban Anchorages

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yes, it proved, after all, a good weekend on the water here in So. Cal. Our big-time destination this year was hardly two nautical miles from our slip at ABM, compared to those of previous years to remote places such as Santa Barbara Island--50 n.mi. distant toward sea. It was windy & cool with sunny afternoons. We lay for three nights in 26 ft in a General Anchorage inside Long Beach Harbor that runs parallel to the beach. The principal site is the area "behind" Island White, an artificial island. We had never spent more than a single night there, typically staging for an early departure the next day to somewhere else.

General Anchorage at Island White looking north toward the beach from our anchored vessel.
White's MDWK'18W.JPG

Close to two marinas, the area sees a lot of day use, most notably from power boats which typically seem to bring excessive noise plus wakes (the above pic shows two of maybe four sailboats present). The unhappy part was repeatedly experiencing a near total lack of consideration from some for other folks trying to enjoy the anchorage. Getting past that, however, we found it a good spot to spend a few nights.

Island White itself viewed looking southeast from our anchored vessel.

HBR.JPG

More of the General Anchorage looking west toward Shoreline Marina from our anchored vessel near Island White.
The charted anchorage boundary runs approximately the lower left corner to the edge
of the picture across from the right corner of the island, Island Grissom.
The Gerald Desmond Bridge to Terminal Island in the distance at center.

East Hbr.JPG

The southwesterly afternoon wind is up!

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We need to get out there and do that more often. Nice place to go with guests for an afternoon. We used to do a yacht club sail there from MdR for a weekend with dinghy rafts etc. Great fun.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
One other good part is that there is a lot of room around you. We anchored in about the most up-wind spot possible and still be inside the boundary.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I have anchored in Newport, but it makes you crazy unless it's during the week. Dana isn't too bad, but it's short on elbow room. I once anchored up the river in Marina del Rey, but my wife was green in about five minutes. I guess the anchorage by Cabrillo has disappeared. We are indeed a bit shy of anchorages unless you are in the islands or San Diego.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I did not know that. Is this recent?
I haven't seen anyone there in a long time and my new C-Map charts didn't show it. I might have just missed it but I was wondering the last time I was over in Cabrillo. We used to anchor there on occasion years ago when the winds were atypically light.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Houma, Louisiana City Marina. You don't see one of these in your marina very often.05083.jpg Pilot picked up a couple of mechanics and their tools. And came back about 4 hours later, to drop them off. I thought the pilot was very daring as he was using the ICW for a runway. 05091.JPG This was the view the next morning before we set out for the day. And yes, right here he takes up the entire width of the ICW.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I haven't seen anyone there in a long time and my new C-Map charts didn't show it. I might have just missed it but I was wondering the last time I was over in Cabrillo.
I believe it is called "Anchorage N": Waters near Cabrillo Beach shoreward of a line connecting the following coordinates: (1192) 33°42'55.9"N., 118°16'44.4"W. (1193) 33°42'26.8"N., 118°16'33.9"W. It is listed in 2018 Coast Pilot 7 as a small craft anchorage. It may not be marked with boundaries on the chart.

The General Anchorage at Island White I referred to above is "Anchorage P." It is marked with boundaries.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have anchored in Newport, but it makes you crazy unless it's during the week. Dana isn't too bad, but it's short on elbow room. I once anchored up the river in Marina del Rey, but my wife was green in about five minutes.
The last few times we anchored at Lido Key (Newport) and in the Dana Pt West Basin we were awakened EARLY by rowers practicing their competitive team-rowing in those long boats. The boats are noisy; plus the "coach", or "row master"-whatever s/he is called, was bellowing in time for several minutes at regular intervals. At Dana Pt they pass within a few feet of our boat, bellowing at volume. They may as well be in the cockpit w/us!

These "guys" totally crack me up. They're out there by around 0630; make a lot of noise disturbing anyone who may be sleeping on Sunday morning at anchor; then, after an hour or so on the water they're done--gone home or wherever. Whew--big day! Not even 0800 yet--but you're awake on the boat.:cuss: May as well have morning coffee.

They're not so much in your face out at Island White. Basically, it's too far from the marina for an early morning quickie. Besides, they might get wet out there.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have that on Lake Minnetonka. It's not an anchorage. Its a human-sized petri dish for advanced E. Coli experiments.
It is normally not quite so crowded.
Looks like nearly all power boats!!
Holiday weekends it certainly gets that way. During the week, it looks more like the pics below.

2018-03-04 07.24.07.jpg

2018-02-11 06.43.19.jpg

Every year for our change of command cruise, Hilsboro Inlet Sailing Club Attempts a large circle raftup at that anchorage. This years was unsuccessful due to 25 mph winds. but below are some pictures of past events

This one was 73 boats. The raftmaster has to be spot on to get this set up.
Circle Raftup.JPG
Circle Raftup 2.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yay! Much better!!

The Bolsa Ciega YC of FL sponsored an annual "Sunflower Raft-Up" of sailboats in Bolsa Ciega on Labor Day weekend for several yr in 1990's; perhaps still do. I never went b/c of the very concern in JD's post which others shared as well. It is HOT in FL in September!! So, if you do not wish to swim in or around the raft you nearly DIE from heat exposure! In 1994 they had 176 boats in the raft!!

http://www.sailbcyc.org/history

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Yay! Much better!!

The Bolsa Ciega YC of FL sponsored an annual "Sunflower Raft-Up" of sailboats on Labor Day weekend for several yr in 1990's; perhaps still do. I never went b/c of the very concern in JD's post which others shared as well. It is HOT in FL in September!! So, if you do not wish to swim in or around the raft you nearly DIE from heat exposure!
That is why we do ours in March. Not much cruising to anchorages in summer in FL. Our club's summer cruises tend to go to Marina/Resorts with Electric for running Air Conditioning full time. LOL

Our next one is a combo coastal race and cruise on Fathers Day weekend. Race south on Saturday to Fort Lauderdale, and then overnight at Bahia Mar Resort & Marina
Bahia Mar2.jpg

Then a fun sail back up the coast on Sunday afternoon.

We also use this location for our 4th of July cruise since the city of Fort Lauderdale does their fireworks show directly off of this beach.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That is why we do ours in March. Not much cruising to anchorages in summer in FL. Our club's summer cruises tend to go to Marina/Resorts with Electric for running Air Conditioning full time. LOL.
Yeah. My wife's and my Labor Day sail out was to get underway by around 0900 for a 9 n.mi. sail from Bayboro Hbr (St. Petersburg) to Bahia Beach Resort, arriving by 1100 or so. Park the boat in a slip and get an AC room at the Resort. Then spend most of the weekend there in the room, in the pool, and in the bar drinking Piña Coladas w/dark rum "floaters" listening to Buffet songs, of course. Try to get back on Monday (Labor Day) b/f the T-storms arriving from the east overwhelmed the Bay:yikes:!! Great fun (except for the storms)!

When friends came along we carried a "Treasure Chest" (cooler packed full of beer and ice) in the cockpit. Our motto for the weekend became: "Swill at Will."

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Another nice urban anchorage. This one at Cabrillo Beach, San Pedro, CA, looking west (post #10 above). Anchor in 11 to 17 ft; varies with the tidal range. Anchor by permit from the LA Port Police for indefinite periods, evidently (i.e., rather than fixed periods). Nice little spot to anchor out in winter when more inclement (or threat thereof) weather discourages crossing the San Pedro Channel to Catalina Island.:) A forecast of showers this evening.

We’re the only ones around. The coldish weather of this past week and this weekend keeps others at home, it appears. We’re thankful for our Espar which is running even now!:dancing:

DCB4AA3A-2457-4E8C-AC74-4F83ED325DCB.jpeg

Two days ago when it was sunny!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
My boat is in one of the marinas right next to this (Holiday Harbor, Berth 34). A friend and I went sailing yesterday, so I passed right by this area going out and then back in. We sailed down to Oil Island White yesterday and then part way back before the wind crapped out and we fired up the motor. We got back in around 5:45 pm last night. When were you there? I didn't notice anyone anchored there, but I can't say I was really looking (and it was dark at that point).

If you go ashore, I've got some suggestions for you and your wife as far as things to do/places to eat. Just down 22nd street (which borders the marinas to the north) is an old warehouse complex that now has some interesting businesses. It's an easy walk from the marinas. There is Crafted at the Port of L.A. (http://craftedportla.com/) There are artisans who rent spaces there making everything from sculptures, painting, leather working, jewelry, and just a whole range of crafts. Your wife would absolutely love this place. Immediately opposite this warehouse is another warehouse that contains a microbrewery called Brouwerij West (https://www.brouwerijwest.com/) There is a large seating area inside with tables for eating and drinking. It's a neat ambiance.

In between the two warehouses is a patio area which usually also has one or two different food trucks at any one time. These are sort of high end for food trucks (e.g., not like the ones that park by a construction site) and both times I have eaten at one of them I have been favorably impressed with the food. (My friend and I went there after our sail last night and I had a really terrific hot meatball sandwich, washed down with a great craft beer. A perfect ending to a fun day of sailing.)

Here's a question that maybe you can answer: Is there any place that an anchor-out such as yourself can tie a dinghy to go ashore? I have a slip, so of course I've never had to look into that. My suggestion above depends on you being able to get ashore. I'm not sure that you can just leave a dinghy tied to the launch ramp dock just to the south of what is shown in that photo; if so, that would be a good solution.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good Morning, Alan! Thanks for all of that info. It’s all news, although that I know Port of Los Angeles has been putting in new shops and restaurants with its ongoing renovations. We were here all day yesterday. We dinked to over by the Maritime Museum and went ashore there at the Public Landing next to the two Johnson brigantines. The sign on the gate going down to the dock from the street says no unattended vessels are permitted, but one of the POLA officers told us that folks (at least so us) could debark from there for 4 hours. So, we did and had lunch at the Green Onion.

I’d like to try your spots!! I believe one can go ashore near there at the dock beneath 22nd Street Landing. Regrettably for now, however, I’ve already secured the dink to depart after breakfast in a few minutes. Next time I’ll plan on it if we don’t actually bring the yacht in there today. I’ll bring it up to the Admiral.:)

Last edited: