Update on fuel tank change

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I used PVC, it was recommended to me by an old salt at the marina who also works as the boatwright at the Mount Vernon Estate. He has used it in several boats of his with success, mostly in the bilge because it's waterproof. He said to just go over to Home Depot and get a length of the 3/4" trim board and cut lengths out of it and screw them down and then bolt the fuel tank to them. I checked the specs for both the stiffness and melting point and am satisfied that it will be good for a long time, but will check it periodically to make sure. Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That sounds interesting. Will look into the product for use on the boat.
Of interest, this Old Salt of which you speak. He willing to provide you access to the river dock at the estate? That would be a really neat way to visit the Mount Vernon Estate. A short cruise down the river from Alexandria. While I was in Alexandria last, I visited Gadsby's Tavern. The inn keeper suggested that Washington was known to travel the river and visited the tavern.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
@jssailem: My marina is just below the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, so a day sail for me is often down to Mt. Vernon-ish and back. I'd have to ask about the dock, the tour boats go in there and pick up tourists, but I'm not sure if any other boats are allowed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If I am in the area... dependent on business, It would be a cool trip. Always enjoy the visits to the estate. It has been a couple of years. Maybe we can connect sometime and cruise.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just a question and it may have not been shown in the pictures, but isn't the exhaust supposed to have a turn up at the exit point above the water line to prevent any siphoning

Attachments

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
It sounds you have fixed your problem. I just wanted to add something else for H37c owners to check. About 20 years ago while offshore in fairly heavy conditions, (30 kts wind, 8-10 ft waves) my bilge pump kicked on and we pumped what must have been ten gallons a diesel fuel overboard. I tore the boat apart looking for leaks. We came up with some VERY creative mirror contraptions to help. We finally determined that it only leaked under sail. Armed with this information, we once again dismantled the quarterberth and went sailing. It turns out that the leak was coming `from the fuel gauge. The gasket had failed. I just removed it and epoxied a plate over it. It still doesn't leak and Midnight Sun just had her 40th birthday.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
... and Midnight Sun just had her 40th birthday.
C'mon Blaise, don't rush her...if I am not mistaken, your old girl is not 40 until this coming December! :biggrin:
Congratulations though - not only does Midnight Sun turn 40 this year, its your 40th anniversary with her. That remarkable.