Upcoming commissioning projects?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 4.55.27 PM.png

The thermometer indicates that snow might be heading over the horizon and for much of the world, boating season is near.

This is prime time for commissioning projects -- what's on your agenda for this year?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Everything. That is part of the trouble.
This year will be Dragonfly's maiden voyage. After I get the CB painted and back in, I'm putting the bow numbers on and going sailing. Then it's repair the rudder, make new cushions, replace at least one stay and the halyard cable, tear out the old wall vinyl and replace with either paint or wood paneling and cubby shelves. Build: a transom arch, a yuloh, cockpit table, bimini, dodger, bow pulpit, mast raising system. install electric, solar charger, electric aux., build a storage box for the stern bench seat, add a satnav station and compass, install some access ports in the bunks and benches to improve storage and lower weight distribution, paint the bottom and, finally, give Dragonfly a new look.
This will all be done over time with, I hope, lots of sailing in between.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After 18 yrs service the boat needs are...

New Wind Speed Transducer and Gauge.
New Refrigeration/Freezer Condenser.

End of this years budget.:(

I have learned certain things are NOT worth repairing.
Jim...

PS: All the rest is in "ship shape".:)

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
We had snow here today. I went sailing from Tuesday to Thursday. Cold as heck overnight. Tolerable during the day. Sleet and 22kt wind coming back. Everythings looking pretty good except running the remote mike. I hate pulling wires through the boat but the radio is at the navagators station.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Finish up two late projects. 1) strip and revarnish the teak and holly floors and 2) complete rewire from engine gauges to engine, new gauges, new wire, new connectors.

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Seldom buy from WM, but their brand ablative CPP holds up well over the years; 2011 last time to do the bottom. Missed their add sale on CPP (two for the price of one) so I cried to them about missing the add they mailed; would they please honor it? At first they said no, so would you please talk to the store manager and see whether he will extend the add sale to this bleeding heart?

They called back and said they would. Saved a bundle, regular list $139.99/gallon, two for the price of one. Bought four gallons. Need to haul the boat, hull prep, light sand, two coats of ablative, polish bright work, two new shaft zincs. Also time to replace the stuffing box packing while out of the water; what a chore. Wash the top side and replace the double line furler line with the new turning block. Then time to splash Belle-Vie, she is ready for another frolicking season of cruising PNW waters.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
As soon as I can get to the boat... I'm going to take down my genoa, send it to Bacon sails and have a new one made.

r

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I always have at least a dozen commissioning tasks, but I break them into three groups

1. NEED to be done before splashing
2. NICE to be done before splashing
3. Done just as easily after splashing

1 and 2 are the true commissioning tasks. For BlueJ it’s:
Coat of VC17 for the bottom.
Add sheave, mast exit for 2nd spin halyard.
Replace mainsheet sheave
Replace backstay flicker
Replace spreader tips

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
All the boats to work on before splash I am committed to. Thank goodness that darn copper head which was big did not attach itself to the trailer last sunday for a trip home coming from S. C.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Everything. That is part of the trouble.
This year will be Dragonfly's maiden voyage. After I get the CB painted and back in, I'm putting the bow numbers on and going sailing. Then it's repair the rudder, make new cushions, replace at least one stay and the halyard cable, tear out the old wall vinyl and replace with either paint or wood paneling and cubby shelves. Build: a transom arch, a yuloh, cockpit table, bimini, dodger, bow pulpit, mast raising system. install electric, solar charger, electric aux., build a storage box for the stern bench seat, add a satnav station and compass, install some access ports in the bunks and benches to improve storage and lower weight distribution, paint the bottom and, finally, give Dragonfly a new look.
This will all be done over time with, I hope, lots of sailing in between.

-Will (Dragonfly)
So, you didn't do nuthin this winter?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Seasons are reversed here. Mid June generally marks the end of our sailing season, followed by the "Hundred Days of Hell".

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Wifey got the toe rails newly varnished, with just a bit of dog fur embedded.

Not really a commissioning task, but did you ever get that feeling of apprehension before a big hole or two gets put in your boat? The PO had some butt ugly-speakers mounted there, and I'm going to put a couple flush-mounted ones there in their stead.

20180324_172922.jpg

Still want to do some stopgap stitching on the fore sails' sacrificial covers, and the bottom needs a real cleaning...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, you didn't do nuthin this winter?
Well, not on Dragonfly :oops:.
Except for the CB.
I am working on starting a new business, Earthshaking Creations LLC.
It's a multi faceted enterprise centered around my wife's and my artistic and agricultural talents with a little hospitality and adventure travel thrown in. https://m.facebook.com/earthshakingcreations/

20180204_121840.jpg most everything is under the snow, boating related.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Well, not on Dragonfly :oops:.
Except for the CB.
I am working on starting a new business, Earthshaking Creations LLC.
It's a multi faceted enterprise centered around my wife's and my artistic and agricultural talents with a little hospitality and adventure travel thrown in. https://m.facebook.com/earthshakingcreations/

View attachment 147985 most everything is under the snow, boating related.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Hey Will, do you have a web page? I am not a fan of facebook, and do not use it.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
This is prime time for commissioning projects -- what's on your agenda for this year?
OK I don’t want to sound too paranoid but is this a form of data mining that will be used later to influence our decision? Yep, I’m too paranoid... carry on:worship:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Spring recommissioning do-list:

Pre-launch:

Check all your through-hulls and seacocks for signs of corrosion or other failure, lubricate and re-bed as necessary. Check all below-waterline hose connections and replace any cracked or broken fittings or corroded hose clamps. (And don't limit this exercise to your sanitation system!)

Faulty or failed electrical wiring or connections are the leading cause of boat fires. So check all your wiring and electrical connections...and your fuel lines and connections. Charge your batteries and make sure everything works…replace fuses as necessary...replace any frayed or corroded wiring or switches...any hoses that show signs of chafe. Go over every inch of your boat with a fine-toothed comb.

Bedding compound is a lot cheaper than replacing a waterstained headliner or repairing rotted fiberglass! So check all your deck hardware—rail stanchions, cleats, winches, etc—for signs that bedding is failing, and rebed as necessary.

If you haven’t done it in at least two years, change every impeller—in the electric toilet, the macerator, the engine intakes--on the boat, even if it looks fine. Each time an impeller pump starts up, it runs dry at least briefly which wears down the edges of the vanes. Unless it’s run dry long enough to really fry it, you can’t see the wear, and there’s only about the width of a human hair between an impeller that still fits tightly enough in the housing to pump water and one that doesn’t. Impellers also dry out over the winter and become hard and brittle...they're more prone to failure in the spring than any other time. And a hard dry impeller can score the housing, requiring its replacement too.

If you have access to water, now's a great time while the boat's out of the water and can really dry them out to really clean your bilge, sumps and chain locker. You won't smell them now, but there are a lot of odor-causing “critters” growing in all those places, just waiting to multiply and stink when the weather gets warm.

Manual toilets: If you haven't rebuilt your toilet in at least 5 years, now's the time to do it, while it's clean and dry (If it's a Jabsco, replacing the pump is a lot easier and costs very little more than their "service kit"). Preventive maintenance--new seals, gaskets, valves, etc--reduces the odds of having to make repairs by 99%. Whether you rebuild or not, replace the joker valve. If you didn’t do it in the fall, lubricate your manual toilet: open the pump and give it a liberal slathering with the same thick Teflon or silicon grease (I recommend Superlube, available from Ace Hardware) that was in it when it left the factory. Not only will it keep your toilet pumping smoothly for a full season, but it will protect the seals and pump housing from grit and dirt. Use the same grease to lubricate y-valves, seacocks, winches—anything that spends a lot of time being wet.

Check all vent lines--on fuel, water and holding tanks--for obstructions (dirt daubers love to build nests in thru-hulls) and clean them out if necessary. Pressure test your holding tank for leaks. Check hoses for odor permeation and replace if necessary--it's a much more pleasant job in cool weather and when the system is clean and dry--than in hot when they're full of sewage. Clean or replace air valves in vented loops.

Post launch:
Test your toilet to make sure it's working correctly. Especially in electric toilets, things have a way dying over the winter. The time to find out is before you stock the fridge and take your boss or in-laws out for the first spring cruise! Flush all the antifreeze out of the system with fresh water...but don't add any treatment to the tank until you're ready to use it. Flush that down the toilet with the first "real" flush.

Don't forget the fresh water system!
Recommission the system according to the directions in the “Fresh Water Maintenance” article I've posted here several times. If you have my book, it's a section of the chapter “Common Problems and Solutions.”

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein