Unknown numbers

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Anyone know what this decal is? It is located on the hull side inside the starboard locker on an 83 Cherubini 25. It is not the HIN number. Is it a state required registration number??image.jpg

Jun 4, 2004
Guys, thanks! This has been a puzzle to me. I am rebuilding this boat which I bought at salvage auction and I do know the previous owner was not the same as in JSG's post so it must be old history for the boat. This gives me some angle for additional research.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You might also find the hull number of your boat as well in other places inside the boat as well so do not be surprised.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
reading this thread has got me thinking is a documented boat like a cucumber once it is pickled you can never go back as to say after one is documented..... it has to stay that way no matter who owns it in the future or can a new owner just register it with the state without documentation

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
reading this thread has got me thinking is a documented boat like a cucumber once it is pickled you can never go back as to say after one is documented..... it has to stay that way no matter who owns it in the future or can a new owner just register it with the state without documentation
Per Mr. Kitchen's post #5, it seems that one can go back, if the PO ever sailed her "legally".

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI

Well if you don't file the renewal I believe they do expire. And now in addition the the renewal form you have to pay a renewal fee. And if expired its probably no longer legally documented.

Our previous boat had been documented at one time in its life. In Michigan it also has to be state registered although you don't have to put the MC registration numbers on if it's documented. One of the previous owners never maintained the documentation so when we bought it we just transferred the registration and forgot about the documention.

Jun 4, 2004
Interesting comments Guys, I guess I'll have to go dig out my Chapmans and review the "documentation" protocols. And Woodster, though I've been " in a pickle" a couple of times I guess I've never "been pickled".

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A USCG registration is a title document. The documented registration can be rescinded and the boat can be registered and titled with a State. Many boats are documented because their purchase was financed and the financing institution required they be documented so that they could perfect a lien on the boat. The States treat boats as vehicles and a lien on a vehicle does not afford the same protection as a USCG title lien. Once the loans are paid and the boat changes hand many are then titled and registered with a State.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
in documentation of boat, you MUST be proactive. they will NOT send unsolicited any renewal methoid. you MUST take initiative yourself. if you wait too long, you will have to restart for 85 usd.... so stay up on your documentation.
and if you wish to undocument, it is possible.
yes you CAN go back to undocumented. it is easy.
oh yes and documentation can be done by fone... or at least last year ye could...

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
My documentation expires every year at the end of May. In April, I receive a notification from the doc. center in W.VA. I go online, (this is new), fill out the form, pay my $26 fee, (also new), and in a couple of weeks have my new doc. Go to this site. http.www.uscg.mil/nvdc/ for more info.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
How did someone get an H25 documented? By all my experience with documenting boats, the H25 is too small (cannot displace five tons without sinking). I already looked into it. Anyone have a clue how this can be done?

Jun 4, 2004
How did someone get an H25 documented? By all my experience with documenting boats, the H25 is too small (cannot displace five tons without sinking). I already looked into it. Anyone have a clue how this can be done?
JCII,
I researched this subject since I may want to renew the documentation. There is a formula involved which essentially takes into account the hull volume, not it's load capacity. It's a government thing for taxation purposes. They don't care if it sinks you as long as you pay the taxes on your cargo volume.
I have not made the calculation yet myself so I don't know if it was done in error, but for sure this was my number and it once was a currently documented boat.

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
What would be the benefit of getting a boat USCG documented if it never has been in the past?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
If you are traveling to foreign ports it makes clearing in to coustoms a lot simpler so I have read and been told.... It also lets you contribute $26.00 annually to the coffers of the USCG.....and if you finance the boat it is required usually by the lender

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
Would that be in addition to the state registration or instead of?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
In addition ...but you don't have to display the state numbers just the decal