Universal m320 won't start

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I have a Catalina 28 with the m 3 20 engine. Not has been starting np problem and running well. I used the boat on Sat np problem started right up. I went to used the boat on Sunday and it would not start. When I turn the ignition key for the glow plugs the buzzer sounds. When I hit the start button nothing. Batteries are new and the boat is plugged in. I did a search and did not find a answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Peter bud
1993 CATALINA 28
Hull 272

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Perhaps a loose or corroded electrical connection, maybe behind the panel or down at the engine. First thing to check is the engine ground on the port side of the engine, down low. You can see it through the engine door that opens into the head. That gets corroded from years of antifreeze dripping down the engine.
If not that then get out a multimeter and start checking for continuity and voltage from the switch to the starter motor.
You should also check the "gummy bear" connectors on the wiring harness unless they've already been eliminated. If you still have them you should get rid of them - it is a safety and dependability issue.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/universal_wiring_harness_upgrade

Attachments

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Have you checked the ground wire for the starter motor as this was the problem I had this year. At the same time check the pos lead also.

May 7, 2006
Have you checked the ground wire for the starter motor as this was the problem I had this year. At the same time check the pos lead also

Gummy bear was changed out by PO. Wil check ground in morning. Is there a fuse between the ignition switch and the starter button. Because it appears that i have power at the key switch.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
There is an inline fuse in the wiring bundle near the engine, unless it was moved when the connectors were removed.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
May 7, 2006
Thank you to everyone who has responded. It turned out to be the fuse. It was a little corroded and needed to be cleaned.
Peterbud
Catalina 28
Hull 272