Universal M25-XP temp monitoring.

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
Just wondering what is the best place to mount engine temperature warning sensor on M25-XP Universal? Oil temperature in oil pan maybe? I have access to different sensors (normally open) mounted on 1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 NPT. Also at what temperature should I set the sensor to give warning of any overheating. The manual states that nominal operating temp is 175-190 F (80-88 deg C). I'm planning to install both visual and sound overheating warning as I don't want to go thru repair ever again. Thanks for any suggestions.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Is there a reason you don't want to monitor the water temp?? You should already have a audible and visual temp alarm. I swapped my water temp switch for a combo switch / gauge output. The gauge out - is put on my N2K network and I get alarms from my MFD and I70 - works great.

Les

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
I put a 185 degree sensor where the block drain is on the starboard side. I chose 185 because my engine runs between 160 &163, and I prefer to know sooner than later. That position is the lowest I could find so it will go off if fluid is lost unlike in the thermostat housing.

May 5, 2017
Catalina C36 mkII PA
Is there a reason you don't want to monitor the water temp?? You should already have a audible and visual temp alarm. I swapped my water temp switch for a combo switch / gauge output. The gauge out - is put on my N2K network and I get alarms from my MFD and I70 - works great.

Les
I don't mind monitoring water temperature. The original water gage and warning didn't work. That is why I ended up with blown head and I will do anything to prevent that in the future. What I want is a horn that will wake up a dead person and a warning light that will make you blind if you don't shut down the engine.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
When I re-powered my Universal, I installed an Admiral panel.

This affords me both an engine temperature gage along with a later overheat alarm bell.
This I feel, is the best of both worlds.

Seeing your temp gage rising would allow for an earlier point of warning you of a possible overheating
problem lurking on the horizon. Seeing this, may help you to avoid engine damage & $$$ to fix.

I do know that having a temp gage as an early warning system & attentiveness to your control
panel will cost less in the long-run than not having both points or reference.

I remember when these alarms first started showing up in cars what was then referred to as, "Idiot Lights" first hit the scene. When they went off, it was usually too late, as the damage was already done.

ps: if installing/changing a temperature sensor on you engine block, never use Teflon tape.
These are tapered pipe threads & will seat themselves when tightening.