Universal m-18 Glow Plug Switch wont disengage on 1985 Catalina 27

Jan 19, 2019
Catalina 27 Vancouver
Hello,
I have a Universal m-18 and I have noticed that recently the glow plug switch that I push in when I start the motor will not disengage. It stays stuck in. Last time I tried to start the motor it turned over but it took a few attempts (eventually I opened the throttle all the way and it started).

I'm wondering if this difficult time starting could be because the glow plug switch has stayed in and is wearing out the glow plug? I sprayed a bit of WD-40 to on the switch to attempt to lubricate it and now it will come out after some wiggling the glow plug switch doesnt pop back out like it used to. Is there a spring on this switch? Do I need to replace the glow plug switch or has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Sounds like it's time to replace the switch. Might do the glow plugs at the same time to be sure. Small Kubotas don't seem to want to start without glow plugs.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Can't keep salt water out forever I guess. Everything wears out with time. Get new plugs from a local diesel guy or Kubota tractor place. About $10-$15 but about $60 from Universal.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Consider placing a Sunbrella cover over your cockpit panel. And, yes, replace the GP button. While you're in there... Really, why not?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My glow plug switch stuck, once, and I was unaware. I was in Onset Mass. on the Cape Cod Canal and heading back to Maine in the dark.

Alone, I noticed my Amp gauge for the starting battery was running a bit high,...

About half way through the canal I realized the push switch was stuck when the pungent smell of burned plastic came wafting into the cockpit. I pulled the manhole in my cockpit and saw the smoking solenoid. As I recall (this was 10 or so years ago), the circuit opened when it burned. No fire and I couldn't stop in the canal.

I guess the glow plugs were on for about a half an hour. The old style, they didn't burn up, amazingly. I had to jump the solenoid switch to get back to Maine.

I carry a spare switch now and am very aware of this problem. You can actually feel the plunger come back out. Plus the high draw glow plug circuit is now fused.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My glow plug switch stuck, once, and I was unaware. .I realized the push switch was stuck when the pungent smell of burned plastic .
Can that pushbutton be replaced with a keyed switch. Or an ignition switch that has the G.P. in it- like 3ym20 and others?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Can that pushbutton be replaced with a keyed switch. Or an ignition switch that has the G.P. in it- like 3ym20 and others?
Probably but these switches seem pretty reliable (until they aren't!).

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I got rid of my GP button (spring loaded toggle) entirely. I put a timer (tdo) on the ignition line, it comes on for 15 seconds every time my key is turned from off to on. I repurposed the hole in the panel to a LED that shows when the GP are getting power so if I have a fault I can see it right away.